Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Are you going to remove the airdam? I think its main purpose has probably been eliminated by the undertray.

PS, mosquito screen over the exhaust would help aero, not melt, and vent heat.
No plans to remove the airdam, I don't consider the belly pan smooth enough to eliminate it... I hadnt thought of mosquito screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Looks great so far.

be aware that the low hanging fruit is mostly in the rear. If you can clean up how air exits the back, you'll gain a lot more than smoothing it out in the front.
I have plans for the rear, but the exhaust needs re-worked to make a full diffuser for the rear... Plans are to run new tubing from the resonator to a Thrush 17652 muffler, then run the dual outlets right under the rear crash bar, nip the bumper cover to fit them, then fab a full width diffuser(instead of losing 14"width to the stock muffler), trimmed around the exhaust tips of course, and with a cutout in the center, near the leading edge, for the new muffler...

My last Ecotec project...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-19-2016, 02:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Are you going to go back and add one or two screws between the ones on there already?

Because I'd want to drop one side and pop rivet (with washers) that longitudinal seam before it's buttoned up completely.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
I do want to add screws, and add washers under the ones already there, when I get time to... I drove the car today, about a 110 mile round trip, from home to Weston and back... On the way out, UG reported 38.8mpg to Glenville, and 42.3 from Glenville to Weston(75* ambient temp outside), and then on the way home, with 85* ambient temp, I averaged 46.7 from Weston to Glenville, and 41.5 from Glenville to home... Stopped once on each of the return trip legs(UG stayed active) so the averages could have been higher, but still, nearly 47mpg cruising at 55-ish mph, and way over 40 on what is my normal commute home from work... The engine was warm for those trips, but I'm shocked nonetheless...

Cruising load at 55mph(flat road) has dropped from ~50%, to around 47-48%, with instant MPG readings solidly in the mid forties...

The Following User Says Thank You to 19bonestock88 For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (08-20-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
Well, I got some 1/2" washers on some of the screws on the belly pan(some holes were starting to pull through), and then immediately took a nearly 700 mile road trip, all highway, and nothing come off! Also achieved my longest tank(495.9mi) and highest documented fuel mileage(~38.7mpg), all in one day...

I need more washers and screws before I can reinforce anything, and I'm seriously thinking about buying a sheet of coroplast and re-doing my mid pans and adding side skirts...

aerohead (08-27-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
Just an update; after roughly 1000 miles, the pan is still there! The mid pans need re-done, and the oil change hole in my front pan needs opened up some, but they're not spontaneously removing themselves yet...

The front pan also protected my transmission pan when I accidentally high centered the car, dropping into a rut in my moms driveway...

aerohead (08-31-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread