Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Stop Lights with a Progress bar!

http://gizmodo.com/5415358/a-stoplig...bar-generation

Wow, finally someone will modify the lights to let you know when they are getting stale!

This could be huge for EOC and so you know when it's ok to turn off your car at a light that just turned.

Ticks down as you wait. I can also see where this could be absolutely awful if someone just blows through a red-light that is at the last notch. Your thoughts?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
in most parts of nj, they have timers for the crosswalks on the light poles. They count down to the red light so walkers know how much time there is. Helps to figure out whether to eoc or not early.

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today
Old 11-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Granada, Spain, not only has timers on crosswalks, the ped figure is animated! When it's green, the ped figure walks, when there is only 5 seconds left he starts hurrying. Pretty cute.
I've seen timers for traffic lights in many European cities, almost every larger town in Romania had them. They would not only count down how much time was left for the red, but also for the green. I loved that! Unfortunately, none around here Too bad, because I'd think it's cheap to add a timer to each street light, while the improvement to traffic flow, safety, fuel usage and smog is almost priceless.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 11-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I just watch the traffic pattern in the intersection. If people are turning left from the perpendicular lanes, chances are, it's OK to shut 'er down. If they're going straight, it's a bit harder to tell, but you can always tell if they just started moving, or if they've been moving for a few mins by how tight the cars are packed going through the intersection. If they're spaced a bit, the light's going to turn soon.

Also, if you're at a 4 way with left turns, you've still got time, because lefty's go first.

It's really not that difficult a thing to master, once you realize that all intersections have the same basic light pattern.

I actually disagree with the use of lights at intersections being as widespread as it is...

In my town, there is one red light. There are less than 2,000 people in this town, and we could all suffice with a stop sign there, but they put up the red light as a "traffic improver".

You can't make a right on red from any part of the intersection, either. It's ridiculous. It's a waste of power, honestly. Imagine how many times you've seen a light in the middle of nowhere that could have been replaced with a stop sign? Now think about how much power the lights use... then the switch boxes, then the computer systems to run them... etc. It's a constant draw that isn't usually necessary.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

In England, they turn on the yellow light with the red light about 1 or 2 seconds before it goes green. This allows the first 5 or 6 cars in the line to get ready to go, and they all start rolling at virtually the same time. A LOT more cars get through the green light, than is typical here in the USA.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 11-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
You can't make a right on red from any part of the intersection, either. It's ridiculous. It's a waste of power, honestly. Imagine how many times you've seen a light in the middle of nowhere that could have been replaced with a stop sign? Now think about how much power the lights use... then the switch boxes, then the computer systems to run them... etc. It's a constant draw that isn't usually necessary.
100% agreement. Plus traffic lights cost a mint in the first place. They are starting to put in roundabouts here instead of stop signs. They are much safer but don't allow for the best high speed coasting. Still, much better than stop signs.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
theycallmeebryan -

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan View Post
in most parts of nj, they have timers for the crosswalks on the light poles. They count down to the red light so walkers know how much time there is. Helps to figure out whether to eoc or not early.
Yup, they also have those in LA, but not in most places. But some intersections don't have crosswalk lights, so the stoplight progress bar has an advantage there.

I would like little "holes" in the side of the light so I can see the status of the cross-traffic light at intersections :

If I had those, I could easily figure out when the cross-traffic light is changing at intersections. This would help me becuase it would make it easier to time my engine restart. This would be a cheap retrofit to existing stop light systems. But, I don't think you can do my idea because of safety issues. I am guessing that some people would argue that this little light would confuse drivers.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 11-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Carlos -

Pennsylvania lights are on two different wires per intersection, hung directly over the cross walks. This makes for more wires, which means more transmission loss, but also that as you come up to the intersection, you can view the opposing light, which allows you to make a judgement call if you can't figure out the traffic pattern.

As soon as you enter NY state (I live near the border, travel to NYS often), the lights are strung diagonally across the intersection, saving on wiring and latent/transmission losses, and wiring installation/maintenance, pole installation/maintenance, etc... but its' a PITA when you can't see the opposite light at times. Not all intersections are created equal... and if you're not familiar with the intersection, it's a bit harder to judge the pattern of traffic exiting it.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Christ -

Yeah, it sounds like LA is more like NJ. Looks like we need another database for stoplights, ha ha.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 11-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
They've been putting in roundabouts around here lately. They're excellent for intersections that are too busy for a stop sign, but not so busy as to need multiple lanes. The problem is when old folks come up to a roundabout, they get scared and stop, sometimes in the roundabout. When you see a Buick ahead of you, be prepared to stop.

I'm also a fan of blinking yellow lights. More traffic lights should be set to blink during quiet times of the day. Traffic can govern itself better than you might expect.

Reply  Post New Thread