Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

getting an r title car on the road in pennsylvania

I have a car with body damage and rear passenger door won't open (daughter rubbed a telephone pole and dented the front bumper). The insurance company totaled it. The car runs great and to me is worth more then the 1k they want for salvage if I can get it on the road.

Does anyone know about the process and if insurance companies in pa cover an r title. I really don't want to fix the car I just want to use it daily to get to work and back and buy another car for when I am not covered in mud.

It's a 06 pt cruiser.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Can't speak for PA, only Va. In Va they require an inspection by the state police. Not about safety but to insure the repair parts were acquired legally. Once they finish you can get a title and register the vehicle. I have never had a problem with insurance on my salvage titled vehicles (over 100) and really never had any collision related problems after they were repaired and properly tested and state inspected.

My suggestion would be to check with your Pa. DMV to see what the process is to rebuild a vehicle and with your insurance company about insurance.

It's also possible they might not total the car. I wrote an estimate on my 1994 VX to make sure it did not reach the level of percentage of damage that would make it pass the threshold of "non repairable" for Virginia.

regards
Mech
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SC1 - '02 Saturn SC1
Team Saturn
90 day: 41.8 mpg (US)

DaGnoma - '02 GMC Sonoma SL
Pickups
90 day: 25.03 mpg (US)
Pennsylvania Salvaged Vehicle Regulations and Consumer Protections at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Go Team Saturn!

Coming soon... aero accessories by LowCd!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thank you,

Well it appears that I would have to put more money into the car then it is worth to be able to use it as a work vehicle or anything else.

If this accident didn't have anything to do with insurance then it would have just taken having it looked at to make sure it was safe to drive.

so, off to the scrap yard with it.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
If the insurance company didn't take the title from you then it should show up as still being a clear title that is in your name, but there was one time that I did have the insurance company require me signing the title over to them before they would send me a check.
Most vehicles with salvage titles tho are sold by insurance companies because they want to recoup some of their costs.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
To go through the process depending on the shop who does it, the cost will be between 200-300 dollars til you are done. You can find a list on pen dots website of all stations who offer the service. After they fill out the paperwork you take it to a notary and they send I to harrisburg

Reply  Post New Thread