Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Success comes in increments....

I have had to do some driving my minivan this week. Was a mixed bag of 50% 4 lane 40% two lane a bit of in town and some SAG duty behind a bicycle 20 miles. 50% was relatively unloaded and half was with two people 3 big dogs 5 cats, guns and food for our trip to the farm.

I have used information posted here and good sense about driving habits. I am not going to do the pulse and glide with my automatic, it inevitably likes to choose the next lower gear when shifted back to drive.

My mini van is pretty stock. I went around and aired up my tires. 3 were at 30 and one 28. I have a rating of 44 on the side walls and went to 42 as a trial last week. I took out the grill and made a carbon fiber cover for it. I took off the rear mud guards (behind the rear wheels and moved them to in front of the front wheels. They are about 2/3rds as wide as the tires but better than none.

A week ago somehow the battery got run down after some 200 miles or so. The trip odo reset. I estimated low and got 21 mpg. Today I filled up again and ended up with 24.9 on the third click. 25.8 on the first click.

I always round to three significant digits. I figure that is accurate enough to land on the moon and this is not rocket science. None of the miles are straight highway miles yet.

I bought this car when it had about 70,000 miles on it for 5400. Hey it is a ford and that is just broke in.

My motor is not new. My transmission is not new. Nothing is new. I have to admit I looked from a distance at a blue geo metro that did not have that much rust but was not for sale. I don't think that I could pay for something like that with fuel savings once I figured in Insurance and repairs. Seems like most repairs happen in the middle of winter when I least motivated to change a starter or do an oil change.

Still 25mpg seems like a success at this point considering the load and numerous ridges that I must climb to get home. Yeah no trailer this week.

In the 7 years that I have owned this car I have not gotten this good of mileage. Next tank might lower or higher.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Varn, 25 mpg i call that success too, im stuck with a old automatic which didn't get great efficiency to start with but that just makes it easier to get gains.

I just thought id comment on the pulse and glide in the automatic, i do this technique with my auto, i found that if im on the freeway and i shift back into drive at high speed without having rev'd up the engine enough to match drive shaft speed the car will down shift and rev really high.
You might try when in idle and traveling at speed to rev the engine a bit higher than it would be if it was in drive then shift it into drive, you might find that the engine just shifts in with no issue like mine does now.
Also you could consider moving to a manumatic which lets you set the gear, this is a mod im looking at myself at the moment.

well happy ecomodding, also if you haven't come by the wiki yet its well worth a look.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline

TEAM VW AUDI Group

thanks for the advice on shifting. We have a lot of steep hills that are fairly short. At 55 I coast down them in gear at about 1500.

As far as getting a new vehicle. Out of the question at this point. My car has devalued to nothing and I don't have the 10,000 or more to save 500 dollars a year in gas if that and having to spend 500 more a year in insurance with collision. Numbers don't add up.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 09-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...true, but FAILURE always seems to come "...all at once!"
Old 09-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I just thought id comment on the pulse and glide in the automatic, i do this technique with my auto, i found that if im on the freeway and i shift back into drive at high speed without having rev'd up the engine enough to match drive shaft speed the car will down shift and rev really high.
Gee, I wonder why? Yes, it's a very effective way to ruin an automatic transmission. You might save a few bucks on gas, only to discover it'll cost you a small fortune to rebuild the tranny.

I've been saying this here for a while now and it usually meets with an argument. Nothing like experiencing transmission failure firsthand to fully understand the point.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Thymeclock, i agree im likely reducing my transmission life significantly but my car is on its way out anyway so i dont mind and hey if the transmission dies then i can get a manual . After shifting into neutral and back to drive while moving at speed for probably 4 months now i haven't yet had any issues.

Varn, sorry i should have been clearer, when i wrote it might be worth moving to a manumatic i wasn't referring to buying a new car i was suggesting modifying your automatic to a manumatic there are a few threads about this topic, they dont have very good instructions though but i am about to give this modification a go myself soon and ill be posting a how to if it works.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline

TEAM VW AUDI Group

You have been doing this for 4 months! Your car is on the way out, hmmm.... I wonder why. Thanks for the advice but I will stick to normal driving and keep my car running another 6-8 years, I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saand View Post
Thymeclock, i agree im likely reducing my transmission life significantly but my car is on its way out anyway so i dont mind and hey if the transmission dies then i can get a manual . After shifting into neutral and back to drive while moving at speed for probably 4 months now i haven't yet had any issues.

Varn, sorry i should have been clearer, when i wrote it might be worth moving to a manumatic i wasn't referring to buying a new car i was suggesting modifying your automatic to a manumatic there are a few threads about this topic, they dont have very good instructions though but i am about to give this modification a go myself soon and ill be posting a how to if it works.

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline

TEAM VW AUDI Group

Checked my mileage tonight. Got 25.5 for 190 miles.
Was 150 miles of continuous running and various shorter miles some on non paved roads. Max speed was 70 with an average closer to 60.

Not bad for an old minivan.

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

"and half was with two people 3 big dogs 5 cats, guns and food for our trip to the farm."

If you lightened the load a bit it would help. Send the guns to ....

25 ain't bad for any mini-van. Good job.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline

TEAM VW AUDI Group

Browning, from my cold dead hands. Any relation to John Browning?

I have an improved 3 tank average, 25.6. My last fill was over 26.7 No dogs, cats, food and only a few guns.

Noah Webster, 1787

Last edited by Varn; 09-22-2010 at 07:40 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread