Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Mazda MX-6 build thread (EV conversion)

I've finally started to build a daily driver. I'm using my first car - a 1992 Mazda MX-6. A demo purchased off the lot in 1992 with 1500 km.

It starts the EV build at 376,709 km.

I have a few projects posted on this site that were not completed, or are on hold pending some side issues. So I delayed posting on this one.

I have a few updates to post, so I have SOME confidence that it will continue.

Last edited by thingstodo; 09-23-2014 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: corrected km on car
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2014, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Day 1 of Build

Video on youtube if anyone is interested

Mazda MX6 Day 001 June 30 2014 - YouTube

I am not mechanically inclined, but I am learning. I find that most 'electrical' projects (I'm an electrical engineer at a mine. I have 25 years of experience on 'electrical projects') actually take MUCH more time and money to get the mechanical changed/removed/working. Then the electrical part and the instrumentation are done right at the end, after the project is already out of money and the schedule has slipped far enough that we're already late when we begin.

Hopefully this is not the 'typical' electrical project

The car is operational as is, but it needs some maintenance work:
- the windshield needs to be replaced
- there are rust spots on the corners of the doors and several other places
- the car needs new paint
- the tires need to be replaced, likely with low rolling resistance tires
- the driver's rear wheel does not spin freely
- the parking brake may be dragging a little bit
- the clutch is original, so it should be replaced
- the inner and outer CV boots were regularly replaced during the life of the car so they likely need to be replaced again

I'm not putting any cash into the mechanical issues on this car until I can get it rolling electric. No point fixing a car that will never move again.

When the car rolls electric, the issues will be addressed based on priority.

If something is exceptional, perhaps some repairs will be done as I go. We'll see!
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
4x4EV (09-25-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dreamer

Day one of the build. It all goes very quickly as you strip out all the internal combustion stuff.
Progress is very visible and very satisfying. I really enjoyed pulling all the rubbish out of my car.
Hope you have as much fun as i did.

I hear what you are saying about fixing minor issues nearer the end of the conversion rather than at the start.
I spent quite a bit of time fixing things in the beginning and then found out that i couldn't use the car due to some air bag regulations. So after pulling out all the ICE stuff and fixing all the faults on the car i had to start over with a different car. Really wish i hadn't wasted all that time fixing the faults on a car that never got used.

So you are off to a wiser start then me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Subscribed & following with interest.

I do miss rolling around town in my quiet EV.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 09-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Day 2 of Build video 002

Remove more gasoline parts from the car

YouTube

Not too exciting, but it's progress
MPaulHolmes (10-28-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 02:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dreamer

I am converting a entirely different car but similar era, mines a 94 Holden Barina.
I found that pretty much all of the fuel injection and engine management wiring just went directly back to the computer and was very easy to remove.
Very early fuel injection setups were just slapped on on top an existing models wiring. So when you remove it you may just have some very basic wiring to deal with. That's what happened with mine.
After removing the computer and engine loom pretty much all that was left was oil pressure, temperature sensor and starter motor energise. The only connection between the computer and the other non engine systems was a single connection from the air conditioning relays which i believe was a signal for the computer to increase the rpm of the engine to compensate for when the a/c compressor clutch engaged.
Newer models went on to integrate the computer into more and more systems making it more difficult to remove.

The first car i stripped i removed everything off of the motor leaving just the block, pistons and crankshaft. Even though it was a tiny 4 cylinder motor it was enormously heavy to lift manually. Probably around 60 kilos. Very difficult to lift that sort of weight out of the engine bay and doing a dignified drop out through the bottom seemed like it would have been just as difficult.
This time i am going to use an engine crane, i am just waiting for it to become available. i am borrowing it from a friend. It will also save me time as i don't have to strip as much off of the engine this time.

When you get to removing the air conditioning from the motor i would try and keep it intact. I just unmounted it from the motor and cable tied it to the front cross member. So now i have the option of adapting it to run off of a pulley on the rear shaft of the drive motor or replacing it with an electric compressor from a scrapped hybrid.

Another suggestion is that while the ICE motor is still in place get some reference measurements for the gearboxes current position so that you can get it in the same spot with the electric drive motor. That way all the alignments of the drive shafts will be the same.
Some cars don't have much clearance and if the gearbox ends up much higher up or lower down in the engine bay then you may have clearance issues when the suspension is at full travel.

When i removed the fuel tank i just disconnected the fuel lines in the engine bay and stuck the ends into a fuel can.and then energised the electric fuel pump and allowed it to pump out 99% of the fuel. Makes the job much easier. There will still be some fuel in the fuel lines so don't be under them when you disconnect them at the tank.

Let me know if you want any more suggestions. I am only a little bit further along in the build process than yourself so all the mistakes are fresh in my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Let me know if you want any more suggestions. I am only a little bit further along in the build process than yourself so all the mistakes are fresh in my mind.
Please list any and all suggestions - communication is what the forums are all about! I may not be able to use all of the suggestions, but many lurkers read the forums and learn a lot from the comments of others

I'd be MOST interested in the suggestions that save me time, or money, or both!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Mazda MX6 Day 004 video 003 July 3, 2014

Another video posted

Mazda MX6 Day 004 Video 003 July 3 2014 - YouTube

Today more parts were removed, including the top of the engine block.

It feels like progress!! I did not expect the dis-assembly to take so much time.

The labelling of each wire and bolt is tedious but I know it will pay off in a big way when I try to put things back together.
4x4EV (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
All right.

My car's up on jackstands. As soon as I have a picture of the MGR in position I wiil start a thread. But I won't be posting a Youtube video every day.

Quote:
I find that most 'electrical' projects (I'm an electrical engineer at a mine. I have 25 years of experience on 'electrical projects') actually take MUCH more time and money to get the mechanical changed/removed/working. Then the electrical part and the instrumentation are done right at the end, after the project is already out of money and the schedule has slipped far enough that we're already late when we begin.
That's my plan.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
thingstodo (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
.. But I won't be posting a Youtube video every day.
I hope that everyone noticed that I started these videos in .. JUNE .. and am finally confident enough that I will finish the project that I began to post them.

jakobnev (09-27-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread