Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

b@stard child - '02 Chevrolet Cavalier
Tips for apartment efficiency

So I live in a 950ft^2 apartment and since I'm renting I can't and don't want to put any money into permanent efficiency upgrades like windows/insulation/appliances etc.
Everything is electric and laundry is done in a communal laundry room; water is included in rent and we're not billed for it.
We use roughly 15kwh/day as a yearly average. Most of the lights had cfl's when we moved in and I've replaced the remaining incandescents with cfl's over the years and as LEDs have gotten cheaper I've been incrementally replacing the cfl's in the most used fixtures; of course I'm keeping the still functioning cfl's to put back in the fixtures so I can take the LEDs when I move out
There's no central AC but I do have a very small window unit I turn on on hot days to keep our older dog cool while we're at work. We can get by not using the AC when we're home since we can leave the back door open with a box fan, it keeps the place cool enough.
I'm not sure how much more I can do, I'm not sure how old the fridge is but I've considered some extra insulation; same with the water heater.
Any tips or advice are welcome!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Solar panel and batteries for AC? A bit of an investment, but you can take it with you, reduce heat (blocking windows), reduce power use (for when AC is NEEDED), and make it more comfortable when it isn't. Could also be used for other stuff when you don't need AC- winter time, use it to charge notebooks, mobile phones, maybe a TV.

Lots of ways to do it efficiently, if not cheap. And solar power will always be of value

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I would love to get some solar panels but, all my windows are west facing and I don't actually see much sky because of all the trees. Not a bad thing since it keeps the place cooler in the summer than it otherwise would be. I'll look in to blocking windows. Currently I just keep all the blinds shut during the heat of the day and open everything at night for some 'free ac'. Not that it gets all that hot where I live, but I prefer cooler temps. I do the same in the winter to reduce heat loss. A better blocker than blinds certainly must exist!
I think getting my girlfriend to buy in to the whole energy saving thing would go a long way as well. She likes to roll her eyes and call me gross when it's yellow and I let it mellow
Old 06-19-2015, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
I had already been using blackout curtains in our west facing bedroom, but even with the blinds closed behind them I could feel a significant amount of heat coming off of them. So I added foil, taped only to the glass for non damaging removal. With about $1 worth of foil the blackout curtains now feel no warmer than the walls
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (06-22-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 02:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fiesta - '06 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ambiante
90 day: 45.9 mpg (US)

Dakar - '03 BMW f650 GS Dakar (retired)

Tucson - '07 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
90 day: 32.67 mpg (US)
move the shower head close to your head as possible. you will use less hot water as the water doesn't cool down through the air so much. only discovered this recently when I wasn't feeling well and ended up sitting on the shower floor and noticed the water hitting me be a lot colder.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
What brake pedal?

Silver Streak-5M - '05 Toyota Corolla S
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.41 mpg (US)
Does your apartment have it's own hot water heater? If so, I would adjust the temparture to no higher than 125-130°f. Most homes I have been in have the water temp set WAY too high.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
West facing is just fine for solar as long as there isn't too much shading from the trees. Anywhere this side of the Rockies (I'm assuming "Cascadia" means Oregon or Washington or thereabouts) then W is your second best option for solar access, especially if you're offsetting A/C use since the W side of the house will always be the hottest (think late afternoon sun). If you have at least a few hours of light, you should be just fine with West facing. If you can have the A/C on with solar, you won't have to pay for powering the fan with the door open (unless you like it that way). Do you have a patio? Maybe you can manipulate the direction by placing it on the patio?

I agree with digital rules, if you can adjust the water heater temp you should do it. But I wouldn't go more than 120 degrees (then again I don't live in a cold climate ). You can also lower it even more during summer if you're comfortable with that temp. If you're all electric and that includes the water heater, then the most savings might be here since electric heating is usually so inefficient.

You can also look at something like a Nest. It's a little expensive, but if you keep your current thermostat then you can just put it back when you move out and use the Nest in the next place. You can't use the Nest itself since you don't have central A/C, but you might be able to find something similar for the heater and the window A/C.

You can also get something like this for the windows, which should help. The aluminum foil will be cheaper, this will be more aesthetically pleasing (and possibly more "useable").
Window Film

You can also get a power strip that has a master/slave function. You can hook your TV to the master and when your TV shuts off so does all the other accessories plugged into the slaves. Same goes with your computer so your printer and other things don't stay on unnecessarily.
Power Strip

Insulation is super cheap, so if you can insulate the fridge and water heater, I would definitely do it.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Are you on the ground floor? If not, leave the door open and fan on; it's going to use way less energy than your AC unit. I recently got the "DTE Insights" app through DTE Energy to track my daily electricity usage and was shocked at how much more energy the AC uses than everything else in the house, combined!

I'll also second the window blackouts. I had foam-backed foil leaned onto the windows and could regulate my apartment temperature pretty well. The people below me always kept it really hot in their apartment, though, so with the foil turned inward, I rarely had to use heat (even in freezing weather).

Go to LED lights if you can, and find the lowest wattage. I found a 2W candelabra bulb to use over my kitchen table in the apartment, and it was just enough to see what I was doing. Just go and really evaluate how much lighting you really need, and downsize where you can. Five lamps dropping 10 watts for 3 hours a day is saving over 1kWh per week!

Also, I'm sure it's obvious, but TV's, Xbox's, and other electronics eat up energy too, so put them on a power strip and turn them off. Of course that can be a challenge if you have someone else in the house who doesn't like the added effort, but they're not paying the electricity bill, are they?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Lots of great tips here. Not all applicable to an apartment, but pick and choose just like your ecodriving techniques.

60+ Home Energy Saving Tips You can do Right Now - EcoRenovator
Xist (01-08-2017)
Old 06-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Excellent advice! All my Windows look out into a bunch of Doug fir trees so even in the afternoon I get maybe 20 minutes tops of direct sunlight. We're supposed to have a pretty hot week up here in the Portland area; I may take down the ac unit and try a poor man's swamp cooler using a box fan, towel, and a large pan of water. I want to drop my average kWh/day into the single digits and I think the best way to do that is reducing climate control. I'm hesitant to block the windows since they dont get much direct light and I've got quite a few house plants that may not appreciate that choice!
As for the water heater, I've been doing research on the safety of lowering the temperature. My concern is bacterial growth, specifically legionella. It's currently set to 140 f and at that temp all bacteria is killed within a couple hours. I have looked in to tankless water heaters to bypass the system since the places where hot water is used are all very close to the heaters current location.
Like with eco driving, the biggest improvement comes from adjusting your own behavior. I think if I can get my girlfriend to only have one light on in the evenings instead of several a lot of progress can be made. Similarly, if my little swamp cooler experiment is a success we can probably eliminate the ac all together. In the winter we try to minimize heater usage. Looking at 3 years of bills (from when we moved in until now) winter is consistently the time of greatest power usage. I'm sure a lot of it is the heater, but the short days probably don't help either.

Reply  Post New Thread