Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
38 time NHRA/IHRA Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicradish View Post
My car has always burned oil, so I don't bother with expensive synthetic oil anymore. I used to use Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend and I think I got slightly better MPG results but it could be entirely anecdotal.
You all need to be made aware that synthetic blends might only be 20% synthetic! You can get the same or better results bt using a qt of full synthetic and the remainder as regular oil.

A few years ago the oil brands started pulling zinc out of their oils and now a lot of racers and older cars are starting to have issues with camshafts and bearings. I change my regular oil every 2000 miles and my 1sr motor lasted 100K, second motor 150K, but my 3rd motor has ruined rod bearings and the cam is worn .005"......I will use synthetic in every thing I own now...they don't have that problem.

As far as filters...Fram and K & N are no better than a reguler Purolator or Wix. The Purolator Pure One is also no better....some where out there on the web is an oil filter study...all tested were cut appart and dismantled. A lot of the filters use cardboard and glue...some have tendencies to fall apart internally during race or hard use applications...they wont stop oil, just wont filter as well.

05 SRT4-12.17@117 mph on DOTs-31.0 mpg-SOLD
96 Geo Metro-3 banger-60.1 mpg-SOLD
95 BMW M3-13.41 @ 106 mph-31mpg-SOLD
77 Chevy Monza with 350/350-FOR SALE
84 Horizon-1880 lbs-29 mpg
95 Neon-43 mpg
99 Z28-10.80 @ 127 mph-27.1mpg
2011 Prius-62.1 wife's
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-31-2008, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sandstone Princess - '99 Chevy Sububan LT
90 day: 21.04 mpg (US)

Joe - '02 Nissan sentra XE
90 day: 43.9 mpg (US)

Regal - '03 buick Regal LS
90 day: 33.85 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
You all need to be made aware that synthetic blends might only be 20% synthetic! You can get the same or better results bt using a qt of full synthetic and the remainder as regular oil.

I did this in my old Sentra, two quarts good dino oil and two quarts mobil1 (before they changed the formula).

If you guys are running synthetic, be aware they aren't the same. Most store bought synthetics are base3 stock and provide a little more benfit than dino oil. Things like Mobil1 EP are made from base4 stock and are what most people have always thought synthetics to be. I run mbile1 EP in my Sentra and grand national. The sentra because it turns at 3500rpm for two hours at a time and the grand national because the oil won't coke in the turbo when the engine is shut off and because of the zinc issue ataylorracing pointed out.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The reason you don't see big improvements with FE using a synthetic is that it really only does a significantly better job when the engine is cold. Once everything's warmed up they are pretty much equals.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Icarus - '11 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 20.71 mpg (US)

Walter - '02 Chevrolet Suburban LT
Mobil One full synthetic is by far the best motor oil available - but not neccessarily for fuel efficiency. The breakdown resistance and engine longevity are the better (Consumer Reports magazine). Mobil One is one of the few PAO oils around (Royal Purple and Amsoil are others, more but I can't remember), but the cobalt (or cadmium - I can't remember that either) compound greatly decreases engine wear (Motor Cyclist magazine test).

For something I can remember, Mobil One full synthetic gained me over a full mpg just by switching oils, and not the thin stuff, either. The Fram Toughguard oil filter is my recommendation for oil filters, but only based on filtering ability.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
You'd likely see better gains from putting synthetic tranmission oil in the car vs synthetic motor oil.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Icarus - '11 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 20.71 mpg (US)

Walter - '02 Chevrolet Suburban LT
I already had synthetic in the trans and differential when I switched to synthetic in the engine. It was just based on the scheduling of the fluid changes... Again, maybe just my application, but the stuff worked for me...
Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
I don't really believe there is a need to go with something else than oem filters. If anything, install a bypass filter, now that's more worth it.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 08-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
synthetics

As I understand it,all synthetic oils have viscosities which are actually lower than what is listed on the label.They are not permitted to advertise the lower viscosity,however,they flow more freely when cold,than a straight mineral oil of the same label rating.So for cold starts especially,pumping losses are reduced,and fully-warmed viscosity is no lower,and do offer slight savings.Synthetics have been claimed to swell seals,and it has been claimed that if you switch to a full synthetic,then switch back to a straight mineral oil,you run the risk of oil leaks.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Window Tinting Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
Consumer Reports found no measurable difference in FE or the amont of particulates in the used oil.
Are you talking about the one they did 15 years ago on taxis? Not the greatest study ever done.

Synthetic engine oil can give a few % better gas mileage (about 2% is the norm).

The thing that will really impact mileage is synthetic transmission fluid and/or differential fluid. On my automatics there are 15 quarts of fluid in there, that's a lot to get pumped around!

However, if you want to try synthetic engine oil for better mileage I'd recommend two treatments of Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner first in conventional oil and then follow it up with a PAO (not group III) synthetic. I'm a big fan of AMSOIL's ASL 5w30

Here's what I mean by PAO/Group III:

Synthetic Motor Oil Gets All New Semantics - Column/Patrick Bedard/C/D Staff/Columns/Features/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

Don't forget a good filter:

Filter Comparisons
Old 08-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Any of our Vibe/Matrix drivers know how much tranny fluid is in an auto transmission? I am going to do a synthetic change on Tuesday and wanted to know how many quarts to buy for the Vibe. Thanks

I will be using Amzoil if anyone wanted to know ...

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
motor oil, synthetic oil