Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I wouldn't say sad, personally. I would say juvenile. But also relative.

Honestly, if I didn't have to worry about money, I wouldn't hyper mile. I wouldn't buy an efficient vehicle. I wouldn't do most of my things I do. Not that I NEED money, but if I drive more efficiently, I know over the week it'll save me another box of ammo for the range, or whatever else I want to spend money on.

When I was a kid, I drove like an idiot. Old truck, poorly maintained, spun the tires all the time, went off roading and spent gallons and gallons of fuel. But I had no mobile phone, only fuel and insurance, and my job more than paid for it.

I feel that I personally cannot judge someone unless I know all of the details. They might be rich, volunteer 80% of their time with homeless orphans that have disabilities and blind puppies, but they drive without much care as a release. I was always taught and try to live that way.

Not sure about you guys, but most things are a competition or challenge to me. So if I am not racing top speed (never done) or racing a quarter mile/mile (never done lol), then I follow close to the law as efficiently as possible. But sometimes, people are rude. So maybe I take 1st to 5000 rpms, and go right to 4th or 5th or maybe 6th.

I see people wasting fuel, and I laugh. I saw some, young gentleman (?), driving a massive F 250, lifted, huge gaudy grill, brush guard, noby tires, all kinds of ugly things you can order and stick on your vehicle. It was loud, obnoxious, and very frustrating as he raced down a parking lot isle at wal mart. But he didn't hurt me any, and it made me feel much better about my car, and I actually have some sympathy that this person may be missing some important life experience.

But at the end of the day, I bet he was picking up building supplies to rebuild a local orphanage after picking up some fresh vegetables for them, my brosef. That's a thing, right?

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
Sporty Modder (06-07-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sport Compact Driver

Celica Gts - '84 Toyota Celica Gts
Sports Cars
90 day: 26.32 mpg (US)

The Bee - '96 Mazda B4000 4x4 Base
Pickups
90 day: 20.39 mpg (US)
Thanks for posting ultarc. That is precicely how I feel. I personaly enjoy driving. I drove stupid when I was younger try La to Monteray in 3hrs.

Taunting others ect for what they do IMO is childish.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I wouldn't say sad, personally. I would say juvenile. But also relative.
Just to clarify, I wasn't labeling the poster's driving habits sad or thought-provoking, but the closed-mindedness evident in his or her assertion that there's only one way to enjoy a car, and anyone who drives differently than he or she is not enjoying it.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty Modder View Post
Thanks for posting ultarc. That is precicely how I feel. I personaly enjoy driving. I drove stupid when I was younger try La to Monteray in 3hrs.

Taunting others ect for what they do IMO is childish.
It would annoy me if people came on here and trolled and were obnoxious, so I feel no need to bug them. They most likely wouldn't have any value from my views, anyway. I don't even join the Mustang clubs because, for the most part of course, our views vary. Always exceptions of course, but usually the Mustang isn't an FE vehicle. I mean, if I was reading a Mustang forum and I started seeing posts from GeoMan223, going on about his Geo (without relevance to the Mustang), I honestly wouldn't care much. And I hope there isn't a GeoMan223 here, either.

And thank you for the thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Just to clarify, I wasn't labeling the poster's driving habits sad or thought-provoking, but the closed-mindedness evident in his or her assertion that there's only one way to enjoy a car, and anyone who drives differently than he or she is not enjoying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
I get how that can be frustrating. It may be close minded of myself, and a bit hypocritical, but if someone makes a close minded comment like that, I wouldn't really care, and just ignore it lol. Between my cats and law enforcement, I've come to a life realization over the years.

Don't bug me, and I'll lay here nice and comfy. Bug me a little, I'll give you some room. Infringe on my rights as a United States citizen, and I will respond to the extent of my rights to insure my freedoms and continue my pursuit in happiness. Is it clear where it switches from my cats perspective to law? lol

Not to criticize, but I am unsure why the OP was on the forum, or what exactly was said. I'm not sure where it was, but I liked a comment I recently read about optimization, and how speed hungry and efficiency hungry are the same, just how it's driven. Which I completely agree, drop a 350 in the AeroCivic and that thing will be giving Ferrari's a challenge.

To each their own, every time I see a car speed past me I think that that is one less officer to pull me over! If everyone did the speed limit, me doing 4 over would stick out like a bruised thumb.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.

Last edited by UltArc; 06-08-2012 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: Thanking for thanks.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
It's part of our culture. People buy 1G Scion xBs, 99 whp FWD non-aerodynamic boxes, and immediately think of spending $1500 on intake/exhaust/headers that might produce 5-10 hp. Never mind that anyone with 100 hp in a FWD will beat them. Anyone with 90 hp in a RWD will beat them. Every SUV, minivan, family sedan, and pickup will beat them in stoplight drag races

xB owners think their boxy vehicles handle better, or are faster than other cars when driven at 80 mph. It's self-fulfilling prophecy. Their cars are faster than most when driven faster than the speed limit.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
They'll be the first to start whining about the cost of fuel when the oil price spikes again.

And they seem to forget that all racing drivers drive for fuel economy while racing.
Ask Hamilton what it has cost him to run his F1 car dry - for the second time ...

Old 06-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Just to be clear, I didn't go there to troll. I checked this morning and saw that my first post there was 16 Feb 05, a week after I bought the car. I'm a big fan of performance driving. I love racing but only have time to follow F1 (once every couple of weeks isn't too hard to fit into my life, and if I haven't had a chance to catch the race yet there's not much risk that I'll hear about it accidentally). None of my tanks are free of "fun" driving. I've just never been a big fan of useless performance, but I've got a record time to work (32min), a record time from work to another store (16 min) and a beautiful run from VA to NH (7:45, 70.9 mph sustained). My highest ticket was for 96 mph. I've got particular curves I enjoy hitting at certain speeds and stretches of road I just can't get enough of. I pass Jeeps in blizzards. I can make that car dance and I really love doing it. But you know what's even more entertaining than all that? Getting it to perform differently: loading the back like the wagon it is. Hauling a trailer load of anything. Getting silly mpg.

The first post of my taunting thread wasn't even a taunt- I simply posted a picture of the odometer and the mpg display and explained my tire size change and what it did to the real mpg for the tank. The invective came in from people who couldn't handle it. My motivation was a direct reaction to a "performance" crowd not recognizing performance. Chrome bits, JDM badges, blacked out lamps and rolled fenders aren't performance. Store bought bolt ons aren't performance to brag about- "I bought this power chip and now my car's faster" just means you bought a faster car.

I've mentioned mileage as performance in the past and it's been laughed down. So screw 'em, I'm going to post actual pictures of actual performance results. I'm going to point to real performance, not a dyno printout provided by the nice shop that sold and installed the go fast parts. My results are in the wild, not from amateur night at the drag strip under perfect weather conditions. At the very least, someone's going to notice another dimension of performance.

Hamilton sure did look funny, but not as funny as Trulli did at Indy in 2005. His low fuel pole contributed to keeping him (and all the other teams running Michelins) from being allowed to start the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 06-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Subaru Legacy Forums - View Single Post - Do you want to see some real performance with an LGT?

Best post in the whole thread.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Hell, there's few things worth more than the free fun in tweaking the tails of other (similar) vehicle owners. It ain't race, income, politics, etc. It's a machine. Why cars are "sexy" is more to the point of thinking about it (and generating comebacks, like grannies gear shifting) than as to clothes washer performance. Both are machines, both cost me $$, and both appear to be necessary for living in this society.

But so far as I know, no one is hot-rodding the Kenmore. So the nyah-nyah when it comes to cars is plain fun. Mpg or 1/4-mile makes no difference from the aspect of testosterone. Kept on that plane it's an approach that keeps on giving for a lifetime of laughs.

My favorite put-down from years ago was the comeback, "Hey, good enough for who's driving it", which has all sorts of permutations.

Or, what do men -- who are afraid of their wives -- drive? That Swedish car, the Vulva.

And neither of these have to do with the quality of the car in question. It's moot.

Which would be the point.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
...Honestly, if I didn't have to worry about money, I wouldn't hyper mile...
I don't worry about money. Hypermiling is just a fun game for me. It's more about bragging rights than saving money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Reply  Post New Thread