Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
Then I placed a 120mm power supply fan over the existing flapper vent in the back.
Ok now I get it, this is to assist in moving cooling air through the vehicle for comfort. I wasn't getting that.

If salary negotiations go well I'll be putting some more work into this car. This looks neat. So do those beaded seat covers MetroMPG was mentioning.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well its not necessarly the heat that hurts the mpg, but the nut behind the wheel that uses the ac. The ac really eats into your mpg on an eco modded hybrid of any make. I see a good 15 mpg reduction. Then with the high compression engine the newer insight has with its dual ignition system IDSI system it starts toretard the engine once it gets over 186-190 degrees and lowers the cvt ratio. With or without a grill block, when it exceeds 100 degrees its pushing 200 at the engine when its engaged. When its pushing 100 degrees outside, the IMA system takes it easy as its at its upper operating temperature.

In my experience the Insight likes 90 degres with 100% humidity for best mpg. Using mid grade gas helps hold the timing and cvt ration higher, but its not cost effected for the bump in price between fuels. So far sheetz is the worse, BP is the best in how the Insight behaves. When it has bad gas, it retards the hell out of the valves and plugs and you end up with what sounds like a gutless throaty rice vehicle.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

I've been trying to become a member for several weeks now. Finding a decent HX has been a challenge, so I'm opening up my search to DX or CX Civics as well. '96-'00 Manual Civic regardless of which trim level.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Good luck on your search!
I scoured craigslist for several months and finally got an HX that consumed oil.
It's better than it was, I think, but it has its issues.
My wife's '96 Accord DX runs like a top but only gets 29-30 mpg.

Civic DX came without a tach but apparently it's not too hard to put one in.
Probably the same with the Civic CX.
Just FYI.

On this page:
FAQs - Frequently Asked (Tech) Questions - Honda-Tech
See section 17 g. for some how-to's on the general topic of cluster guage swaps.

Last edited by brucepick; 07-09-2012 at 11:19 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
darcane (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

92Integra - '92 Acura Integra LS
Team Honda
90 day: 44.18 mpg (US)
Would I be allowed to join team Honda? I drive a Acura Integra, but it is made by Honda. In Japan it's a Honda Integra.

Last edited by Brad9660; 07-10-2012 at 12:55 AM..
Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #26 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Your recent 45.63 mpg = nice!

As I see it, Acura = a Honda.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #27 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Since my job ended in Dec, I no longer have the 52 mile (each way) commutes into the NC mountains and have been doing mostly shorter trips of about 20 miles into town, so I'm not have to gas up very often. Most trips get about 70 to 80 mpg.
Ouch. Job ended is not nice.
I've been there and wouldn't be surprised to be there again one day.
Hope things are going well.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
My current tank is at 75.4 mpg. My route has gotten very friendly (no classes means I go to the office less) and I am back to using my alt delete in the challenging 50 mph steep hill environments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletby View Post
Learning Pulse and glide and EOC. I've got a loose grasp of driving with load, but have no topography to speak of here on the prairies, so I only really get to use it on bridges and over/underpasses. I have no instrumentation yet that works with this car.
Petby, do I understand you correctly? DWL is not about topography. I thought that too. Then I learned it is about the load on the engine from operating the car, independent of topography (though effected by it). If you get a vacuum gauge installed, people here can help you learn the technique, which involves brisk acceleration at a specific vacuum range, followed by cutting the engine, gliding, and bump starting to repeat the process. You would see a major jump in FE from such a practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletby View Post
On a good morning I can get through 20 km of city driving with only stopping twice. We don't have freeways. Afternoon is stupid with traffic. Much stopping.
This stop-go traffic is little or no problem for me on the LA freeways because I cut the engine, bump start, close gaps DWL... sometimes traffic improves my mileage, depending on topography. You have got to learn this. It will change how you experience the road. I would put the vacuum gauge at the top of your mods list, and you can get them from the ricers cheap and to mount in the moldings of the A-Pillar beside your instrument cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
I need to do more aero stuff and install my CRX HF trans for a 1000 RPM drop in cruising RPM.
This transformation would be fun to watch. Please do this. If you were close to me, I'd come help for the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Most trips get about 70 to 80 mpg.
... in a twenty year old car, driving normally on the freeway. Still one of the absolutely coolest cars here. Though 3-wheeler's Insight is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
I just replaced my CV axles so I'm no longer pop-pop'ing around corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The good news for Team Honda though is I'm driving the Insight during the warm months, when it can get spectacular MPG, and the Firefly (Metro ) in the cold ones, when it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I don't fill up the Insight a whole lot (I don't commute). My next fill will probably be later this month or very early August. The good news is I think it's going to be my best tank so far: 93.5 mpg showing on the OEM computer @ 700 miles (no promises). ~1/3 tank remaining.
That will be a great addition. We have 27 cars on Team Honda, currently. More than most of the other top ten teams combined. You'd really bring up the average with a 93 mpg log entry!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #29 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
My current tank is at 75.4 mpg.
Impressive.

Quote:
Petby, do I understand you correctly? DWL is not about topography. I thought that too. Then I learned it is about the load on the engine from operating the car, independent of topography (though effected by it). If you get a vacuum gauge installed, people here can help you learn the technique, which involves brisk acceleration at a specific vacuum range, followed by cutting the engine, gliding, and bump starting to repeat the process. You would see a major jump in FE from such a practice.
That's a good description of pulse & glide.

DWL (driving with load) A.K.A. "target driving" is a precision cruising technique where you finely adjust the accelerator position to keep a desired engine load (MPG target), and speed varies as a result as external factors affect load (aero changes, terrain). Instrumentation is required for DWL, not necessarily for P&G.

Lean burn drivers know about DWL!

Quote:
You'd really bring up the average with a 93 mpg log entry!
No promises! But I will try.

You could easily knock out 100+ mpg tank after tank with this car, but it would require slowing down more than I want to, and/or using more P&G. That's the beauty of lean burn, tall gearing & good aero: with this car I can get ~80-90 mpg summer tanks just by driving with load, cruising in lean burn at around the speed limit (secondary roads, 80 km/h / 50 mph speed limit) with a ~100 MPG target on the instant MPG display.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I'm officially aiming for a distance record with this tank. My current best is 88.5 mpg / 1133 mi. Max tank fill was 13.85 on a different tank. The 1133 one was a short fill. This one is a good fill, and I'm going for it.

School's out for summer, the weather is warm. I'm avoiding unnecessary trips. I've unloaded 25 lb of stuff from the car. (manuals, floor mats, tools, old insurance papers, plywood trunk floor, kids' booster seats when not needed)

Old: 88.5 mpg / 1133 mi
Goal: 90+ / 1200+

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles

Last edited by PaleMelanesian; 07-10-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread