Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #331 (permalink)

Join now! It's about the process of steadily improving your mpg, not the final result.

California98Civic (01-28-2013), RedDevil (01-29-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #332 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
Join now! It's about the process of steadily improving your mpg, not the final result.
Thanks, I just did.
The intermediate result of me joining the team is that we've dropped behind team VW Audi by a hair, sorry for that. But I've put some more air in those tires and the frost over here is gone, so I'll make amends.

Just got 6.2 l/100 km (37 mpg) average in 7 km on a bunch of very short trips (shopping, school; my wife is ill) engine just cold every time. That's better MPG than I got on the first 7 km of any trip I've done in the last 2 weeks, and they weren't interrupted like this.
It all confused the Insight, it even gave electric drive for a while with the blue Cold engine light on! A first for me.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #333 (permalink)

Well, just got my first fill over 50mpg! A combination of warmer weather, mysteriously light traffic, and lots of P&G.

I gotta get a kill switch sorted out though...

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #334 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Well, just got my first fill over 50mpg! A combination of warmer weather, mysteriously light traffic, and lots of P&G.

I gotta get a kill switch sorted out though...
Good going, darcane!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #335 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Worst tank since May 2011. Mechanical troubles, colder days, less time for the car or hypermiling... gives me my latest fuel log entry. >sigh<
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #336 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Worst tank since May 2011. Mechanical troubles, colder days, less time for the car or hypermiling... gives me my latest fuel log entry. >sigh<
Your worst is still better than my best.

What tranny problems? My input shaft bearing makes some noise and is probably holding me back a bit too. But it's not to the point of immediately needing being replaced yet.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #337 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi! I hope that you can join to them soon. BY the way there is a news about hybrid automobiles, the electric vehicle market is going to zoom in the coming years, according to brand new research. However, the largest industry share of that sector will be grabbed up by plug-in hybrid automobiles.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #338 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Your worst is still better than my best.

What tranny problems? My input shaft bearing makes some noise and is probably holding me back a bit too. But it's not to the point of immediately needing being replaced yet.
Some carrier bearing inside the transmission housing makes a constant noise. And the front wheels, when elevated, freewheel down from 30mpg to zero amazingly quickly. I've been down the laundry list and tested all sorts of possibilities from rotors to hub bearing units to CV joints to brake cylinders and pads. All that's left is the tranny. But this is my DD, I'm a "mechanic" of limited experience, and I'm extremely busy at work these days, so although I have a replacement low-miles '93 CX trans, have the tools, and have finished collecting parts (washers, seals, and a throw-out bearing replacement, used starter motor) I need to wait for a better opportunity to perform the switch. A good solid three or four day weekend without the current workload would be awesome. In the mean time, I keep my AAA premium membership with the 100 mile towing radius updated!

But it seems I have been driving with this bearing noise for a year, and about 12,000 miles, so... noise is not the most awful thing that can happen (knocks on wood).
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #339 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Another fill. 57.7 mpg / 669 miles. I had to do another 150 miles of highway this tank, and this car really doesn't like that.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #340 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Some carrier bearing inside the transmission housing makes a constant noise. And the front wheels, when elevated, freewheel down from 30mpg to zero amazingly quickly. I've been down the laundry list and tested all sorts of possibilities from rotors to hub bearing units to CV joints to brake cylinders and pads. All that's left is the tranny. But this is my DD, I'm a "mechanic" of limited experience, and I'm extremely busy at work these days, so although I have a replacement low-miles '93 CX trans, have the tools, and have finished collecting parts (washers, seals, and a throw-out bearing replacement, used starter motor) I need to wait for a better opportunity to perform the switch. A good solid three or four day weekend without the current workload would be awesome. In the mean time, I keep my AAA premium membership with the 100 mile towing radius updated!

But it seems I have been driving with this bearing noise for a year, and about 12,000 miles, so... noise is not the most awful thing that can happen (knocks on wood).
Constant noise? Does it get louder/quieter with more load? All gears?

Could be the input shaft bearing like mine. Mine has been making noise for about 15k miles so far. While I know it's a ticking time bomb, the noise isn't getting worse and it's still working OK, so I haven't pulled it apart. I have a newly rebuilt HX tranny, but still need some more parts (clutch, throw out bearing, oil, etc).

I'm curious to see if there is a bump in efficiency when I swap it out though...

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Reply  Post New Thread