Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Team Honda Thread

Link to team standings page:
EcoModder Team Competition

Just thinking the team should have a thread to discuss whatever is going on, anything of interest.

How are you guys doing?

Yesterday we just barely squeaked past TEAM VW AUDI Group - that's the good news. 50.75 mpg vs. 50.62 mpg, this morning. The bad news is, we just barely squeaked past them! So any slight change in either team's stats can shift the standings.

Team Metro is ahead of us at 52.26 mpg. If 1991 Metro 1.0 Auto gets its stuck thermostat fixed, that team will pull further ahead of us (I read the 91 Metro's fuel log notes).

So what am I gonna do?
It's been a few weeks since I've done anything substantial for Lean Burn Civic. I do hope to get out there this weekend to accomplish at least one or two tasks on the car. The front grill cover panel needs a bit larger air intake cut, and then primer over the cut edges. And two of the flat wheel covers need sticking down around the rim edges.

Last edited by brucepick; 07-14-2012 at 06:15 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Because I was using the alternator all of the time last tank, I slipped a bit (to under 65mpg) because I am no longer willing to drive slower than posted speed limits. But I have a better strategy about the alt now. I cut the alt under three conditions now: on the freeway, during the last two miles of my commute home where I plug in, and while climbing unavoidable mile-long steep hills when the speed limit is over 40mph. Under those conditions the ECU always puts the alt at max output, so cutting it and then regenerating down the opposite side with DFCO seems like a good strategy.

I also returned the tires to 60psi (they had slipped to 55). I could feel the difference.

But right now I am not as focused on the car because I am researching split system air source heat pumps for a new heating/cooling system in my house. ..but I do have my list of car mods...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sule - '95 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.38 mpg (US)
Me joining the team probably didn't help . I'm just getting started. My milage should steadily improve, I hope
The Following User Says Thank You to BackBlast For This Useful Post:
blackcivic96 (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Enthusiast

Jeepper - '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
90 day: 19.96 mpg (US)

White Gen II Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57.68 mpg (US)
I apologize as well, my last tank was horrible. Sorry but I can only tolerate 100+F for so many days, yes I used my AC, grrrh. Plus my SG is still acting up. Hoping to get it back on my current tank... 320mi on the odo and a little under half tank.

I drive a ton of highway and it's killing my FE, any tips? I get better MPG on city with EOC, which isn't easy on the highway. I am (usually) moving so traffic isn't the issue, it's (holding) 53MPH that's hurting me..

Old 07-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcivic96 View Post
I apologize as well, my last tank was horrible...
I drive a ton of highway and it's killing my FE, any tips? I get better MPG on city with EOC, which isn't easy on the highway. I am (usually) moving so traffic isn't the issue, it's (holding) 53MPH that's hurting me..
No apologies needed. Each of us is dealing with real world situations. As for a/c, when I need mine, I put it on recirc and "pulse and glide" the a/c. I leave the fan on 1 or maybe 2, and cycle the compressor on and off as needed. Works nicely in moderately hot weather but I haven't tried it lately in super hot weather.

Yes, my HX did better at somewhat slower speeds. I've now done a few aero projects so they combine to give real improvement at higher speeds. See the car's page (Lean Burn Civic) to see the list of mods.

Tire pressure - for me, the sidewall imprint is a starting point. I think that would help highway mpg.

Between the aero mods and well pressurized tires, I find I actually can pulse and glide at highway speeds. You DO need to limit that to times when the cars in front and behind you are far enough away so you don't enter their zone as you lose and gain speed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
blackcivic96 (07-07-2012), reliabletop (07-24-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBlast View Post
Me joining the team probably didn't help . I'm just getting started. My milage should steadily improve, I hope
Getting started is a good status!

A few good mods, well executed, and adjusting the nut behind the wheel, and you definitely should see improvement! If you'll look at Lean Burn Civic's early fuel log data, back then it got upper 30's in winter and lower 40's in summer.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

WIth this hot weather my usual 60-65 tank average has dropped to 49-50. Hell, Ive decided to park the Insight and drive the Sidekick til it cools down as that heat makes the phev kit cut out from the heat and the ac is marginal at best.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobb For This Useful Post:
blackcivic96 (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Enthusiast

Jeepper - '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
90 day: 19.96 mpg (US)

White Gen II Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57.68 mpg (US)
@brucepick-
Yes I have found, when needed, that method with AC works wonderfully. While I have done many aero mods, I feel it can be better, which is what I am shooting for. My motor 'D16Y8' was the biggest made that year (96), I believe.. I kick myself because I could have had an HX, but the timing was not right. But great info

@Cobb-
Thanks that makes me feel better that I'm not only one suffering with the heat Luckily it will stay cool for a while for us in Chicago for a couple days...

Go Team Honda!!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Hey guys, new to Team Honda as well, but have been squeaking out the best I can out of a Ford until it finally crapped out. I'm so happy it's toast; I've been wanting to get a Honda for a long time. Getting used to a manual transmission again and learning all the hypermiling methods for a manual will take a while. So I have lots of room for improvement. Since it's an old 93 I won't feel bad about any aeromods. Now I have to look into an MPGuino or however you spell it. The UG I have won't read a thing on a 93.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletby View Post
Hey guys, new to Team Honda as well, but have been squeaking out the best I can out of a Ford until it finally crapped out. I'm so happy it's toast; I've been wanting to get a Honda for a long time. Getting used to a manual transmission again and learning all the hypermiling methods for a manual will take a while. So I have lots of room for improvement. Since it's an old 93 I won't feel bad about any aeromods. Now I have to look into an MPGuino or however you spell it. The UG I have won't read a thing on a 93.
Nice little car! The MPGuino is a good idea, and so is a vacuum gauge on your dash. Using it, you could practice the "driving with load" ("DWL") technique. DWL, pulse and glide, and EOC are the secret to maximal hypermiling a manual transmission. These gauges would pay for themselves quickly. Did you do any of these with your old car?

My favorite totally free and easy mod: I have run my tires at 60psi for more than a year, so does PaleCivic (I got it from him). You'll have to make your own judgment as to safety, but in my personal opinion tire technology long ago put most issues to rest. I recently talked-over my mods with a Bonneville record holder, who casually told me he routinely runs tires at 80psi. Mythbusters episode 153 showed that increasing tire pressure will, in fact, increase MPG. It works, it's free, and you'll get longer glides!

Do you ever cut the engine while coasting in neutral? When I first tried bump starting at 40mph--using brucepick's description--I was amazed.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread