Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
BuickModder

99ParkAvenue - '99 Buick Park Avenue
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
temporary grill block results. 36.6 mpg!!

Wasn't sure if building a grill block would generate results that I felt would justify efforts to make adjustable grill block. I used duct tape to close off grill and ran my hi way test loop to see what gains I might expect. Previous hi way loop gave me 33.97. This test loop with just duct tape grill block and synthetic oil gave me 36.6!!! So it looks like it will be well worth it. My everyday temps go from 198F to 206F. On this test loop my temps stayed in that range. City driving in the summer is why I need to make my grill block adjustable.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ParkAvenue View Post
City driving in the summer is why I need to make my grill block adjustable.
I agree. Any ideas on how you are going to make it adjustable? My 2006 Grand Prix has what amounts to 4 grill openings would be nice to make them all adjustable. But haven't got any good ideas yet. Just removed one of my blocks for the summer.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
ABA results?

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
BuickModder

Violation of protocol - but I run the 453 interstate circling Kansas City. My ABA is a circle. If there are prevailing winds, by running a 94 mile circle, it rules that out for the most part.Since I start out at the beginning, and go the circle all the way back, no hills get favored. So if one part of my circle goes downhill, it has to go back up for me to arrive at my starting point. I finish exactly where I start. I have a gas station two blocks from the hiway on ramp, so the entire trip is all at speed. If I drove 45 miles down hill or with tail wind, then drove 45 miles uphill with headwind, and averaged, it would more or less workout the same. I am not so much looking for an example of daily driving as finding out what my provable upper number is, and by always running my test loop as close as I can each time, time of day, temp , etc, I can compare one set of results to another.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ParkAvenue View Post
Violation of protocol - but I run the 453 interstate circling Kansas City. My ABA is a circle. If there are prevailing winds, by running a 94 mile circle, it rules that out for the most part.Since I start out at the beginning, and go the circle all the way back, no hills get favored. So if one part of my circle goes downhill, it has to go back up for me to arrive at my starting point. I finish exactly where I start. I have a gas station two blocks from the hiway on ramp, so the entire trip is all at speed. If I drove 45 miles down hill or with tail wind, then drove 45 miles uphill with headwind, and averaged, it would more or less workout the same. I am not so much looking for an example of daily driving as finding out what my provable upper number is, and by always running my test loop as close as I can each time, time of day, temp , etc, I can compare one set of results to another.
My concern is that your grille block is doing less for mileage in aero as it is in keeping the engine warm, and your A run gave your engine a nice warm setup, so when your B run was started, it was already at operating temperature and max efficiency- compared to two cold starts, one w/, one w/o, or ABA testing.

What you do and how you do is nothing for me to judge or criticize, I just wanted to know the scope of your test to get those results.

Best Tanks:
Old 06-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
BuickModder

No problem, all friends here. I welcome analysis. Let me just clarify my testing method - without casting any stones.

A true ABA test would really involve a run with the mod and then an identical run without the mod. Your point is very valid about engine temps, and could easily skew results one way or another. I dont have the time to run a lengthy test twice, so I prefer to run an identical course to test any mods I make. That run is starting the car cold at 7:00 a.m., and then driving four miles to a specific gas station that is two blocks from the hiway. That way when I return I can refill the tank and check via calculator what my run is and have a nearly complete all hiway speed test. Only four blocks of the test are off the interstate.

My first run four weeks ago was at nearly the same air temperature, with no real wind anywhere. That set a baseline of driving with the cruise control on at 60 mph for the entire I-435 loop around Kansas City. By rerunning that loop under as identical conditions as I can each time, allows me to compare one run against the previous one. At this point all I am interested in is improving my over 35 mph figures. Stop and go is mostly about driving style. Thanks the the Scanguage, I have been able to up my in town figures

I may not have been clear in my temperature descriptions. Under normal, every day driving either around town or on the hiway, my car likes to run right at 200 degrees F. The run with the duct tape, except for hills which ran the temp up to 204, was between 198 and 200 F the whole loop. This matches the temp I would have expected with or without the grill being closed off.

So to recount the results numbers, other than tires at max, folding in my mirrors and using a Scanguage II - my car ran 33.97 four weeks ago. Same road conditions and again starting with a cold car- getting gas and running the interstate loop, I added synthetic oil and duct taped the grill to see if I could get enough improvement to warrant building a more permanent and adjustable grill block. The 36.6 mpg numbers suggest to me that a full grill block (plus making it adjustable for hot summer weather), is a good effort to make. I will post pics as I build.

I intend to use springs to keep it open at low speeds and as the speed increases, air pressure should close it. I will probably work with PVC, and fiberglass.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

I like that idea for springs to close with more air pressure. I look forward to following!

I know for my personal testing, I used to go by scanguage results on the highway at varying speeds. I did not do ABA testing because of how much fuel it took getting up and to speed! lol

Since then, I just look to see what works, try it for myself- and go from there.

Best Tanks:
Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Long Ranger - '01 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

EcoSI - '08 Honda Civic SI
90 day: 28.83 mpg (US)
just did my own grill block, cant wait to compare data before and after

Reply  Post New Thread