Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2017, 04:09 AM   #161 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
250 miles is the most I have ever done in a day. But that would include at least one stop for lunch and another couple of stops for coffee.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #162 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
To me, the best location for EV plug stations would be at hotels/motels along interstate freeways, since long-distance traveling is the EV's "Achilles heel." Around town, most people recharge overnight at their homes.

ADDENDUM - other good candidates would also be freeway-adjacent restaurants and diners...but probably NOT fast-food joints (wink,wink)
I think it's most important to get 110vac outlets first, especially at motels/hotels/places of work.

It would be nice if there were an L2 on my one long weekly trip, but I doubt it would ever happen.

220vac at gas stations would be nice though, today they are all 110vac which only nets a mile or two during a pit stop.

Today there is zero quick chargers along Hwy 10,51 or 29 in Wisconsin,
When there is it's in a city, to be honest I need L2 in the middle of no where not in the city

Ah well
Old 08-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #163 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 31.25 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Camry - '98 Toyota Camry
90 day: 27.09 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 79.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Anyway, the road agency's advice over here is to rest for half an hour after every 2 hours of driving. Following that advice, anything with a range over 2 hours worth and a quick charge option would suffice.
I drive for as long as I have fuel, and use the bathroom and stretch when filling the car. This is usually every 400 miles or 5.5 hours.

The problem is that "quick" charges aren't quick. They are about an hour for 120 miles of range. You end up stopping for 1hr every 2 hrs, which is extremely slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
250 miles is the most I have ever done in a day. But that would include at least one stop for lunch and another couple of stops for coffee.
I stop for coffee and food when I stop for petrol, about every 5.5 hours.

My longest trip in a day was 1,200 miles. Santa Barbara > Santa Monica > Gresham OR > Salem The trip would have taken several days in an EV, and I had a van full of people.

In May I drove 560 miles 1 way Vancouver, WA > Twin Falls, ID. I was on the company clock, so they wouldn't have been OK with me spending 3+ hrs charging on the trip. Not only that, but I was already running 2hrs late since I hadn't planned to drive (bridge to the airport was shut down due to wreck).

I will need to drive to Medford (300 miles) occasionally, which would require at least 2 charges, possibly 3. Completing the trip in an EV would be made more enjoyable and less time consuming if I could charge at a hotel.

It makes sense to drive anything less than about 400 miles since it takes time to get through the airports, and then travel to your destination.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-12-2017 at 08:13 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #164 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Gaptooth - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.55 mpg (US)
Last weekend I drove to Buffalo NY from Burlington VT, which is about 400 miles. It's hard to find even a gas station in the Adirondacks, much less an EV charging station. I could certainly use an EV for most of my local driving, but I've basically replaced my car with an electric bicycle for that anyway, and an EV is not appropriate where I live for any of my weekend trips.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #165 (permalink)
Duck duck duck

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 56.09 mpg (US)

It - '09 Hyundai I10 Active Cool
Team Hyundai
90 day: 29.79 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I drive for as long as I have fuel, and use the bathroom and stretch when filling the car. This is usually every 400 miles or 5.5 hours.

The problem is that "quick" charges aren't quick. They are about an hour for 120 miles of range. You end up stopping for 1hr every 2 hrs, which is extremely slow.

I stop for coffee and food when I stop for petrol, about every 5.5 hours.

My longest trip in a day was 1,200 miles. Santa Barbara > Santa Monica > Gresham OR > Salem The trip would have taken several days in an EV, and I had a van full of people.

In May I drove 560 miles 1 way Vancouver, WA > Twin Falls, ID. I was on the company clock, so they wouldn't have been OK with me spending 3+ hrs charging on the trip. Not only that, but I was already running 2hrs late since I hadn't planned to drive (bridge to the airport was shut down due to wreck).

I will need to drive to Medford (300 miles) occasionally, which would require at least 2 charges, possibly 3. Completing the trip in an EV would be made more enjoyable and less time consuming if I could charge at a hotel.

It make sense to drive anything less than about 400 miles since it takes time to get through the airports, and then travel to your destination.
I've driven a rental car in California and Nevada; if Oregon is anything like that I can get how you can drive for 4 hours on end
The Netherlands are 7 times as small as Oregon and 5 times as densely populated, and I live in one of its busiest areas. Our roads are very crowded and traffic is always merging and splitting. You have to be constant at the alert. You are never alone, not even in the dead of night. 2 hours of that then you desperately need a break.

A 'quick charge' on a Tesla Model 3 with its 75 kWh battery should top it to its full range of almost 300 miles if you allowed it to last a full hour.
But it will be over 80% full in about half an hour?
Ain't perfect, still not that bad.

It all depends on your needs. My trips are seldom longer than 80 miles and I can charge for free at the office. I'm looking into buying an EV...

I don't mind the stops, if I ever need them, that bad. I can work during a stop if I feel like it.
I hope for self-driving to become reality well before I retire; then I could even work while I'm on the move.

Last edited by RedDevil; 08-11-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #166 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Sometime in the not too distant future I will have to give up my licence (because of my age I have to reapply for it next year and every three years after then). I hope driverless cars are on the go by then.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #167 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,891 Times in 2,260 Posts

The deposit on an Arcimoto SRK was $100 instead of $1000, so I went with that.

For in town — I'm hoping to hold onto the diesel Dasher for road trips. It's a sunk cost.

The SRK is supposed to be autonomous ready. It has a smartphone cradle in the handlebars. I think Arcimoto should cut a deal with Tesla for access to the Supercharger network.

Last edited by freebeard; 08-11-2017 at 05:52 PM..
Old 08-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #168 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
My son's Charger SRT-8 has infrared sensors that monitor the occupants of the front seats so it adjusts their zones appropriately.
And how, exactly, is it supposed to decide what the occupants will think is "appropriate"? Not to mention that unless you can put some sort of barrier between the seats, it's just not going to work :-)
Old 08-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #169 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I've driven a rental car in California and Nevada; if Oregon is anything like that I can get how you can drive for 4 hours on end.
There are places out east of here where you could drive for 4 hours, and not see anything but the occasional jackrabbit :-)
Old 08-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #170 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 31.25 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Camry - '98 Toyota Camry
90 day: 27.09 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 79.06 mpg (US)
I like automatic climate control, and it works very well in my Acura and Prius. It blows a little colder when it detects a lot of sun, and a little warmer when the sun goes down. Also, the system will monitor outside air temperature and cool the cabin with outside air rather than run the AC if it can. Same with warming the cabin.

EVs can also condition the cabin prior to departure, which is a nice feature that can also save time defrosting windows.

Finally, I have yet to meet a girl who can set a manual temperature sensibly. They run the heat on high until it's roasting, then they turn the AC on until it's freezing, and then back to full heat... never choosing a setting that is just right.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread