Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #51 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
We see the IRS as expensive overhead, but to Washington's eyes it provides more bang for the buck than any other agency or program (except perhaps the Fed).

Tesla's more like a factory outlet charging boutique prices or a farmer charging airport snack bar prices, while GM's stuck selling at wholesale prices to boutiques and snack bars. They multiply this advantage by being a bit more expensive than Chevy: they send the lower end of the "affordable" electric market to the Chevy dealer, letting them deal with tire kickers and hagglers while keeping the "here, take my money" customers for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (04-11-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Tesla's more like a factory outlet charging boutique prices or a farmer charging airport snack bar prices, while GM's stuck selling at wholesale prices to boutiques and snack bars. They multiply this advantage by being a bit more expensive than Chevy: they send the lower end of the "affordable" electric market to the Chevy dealer, letting them deal with tire kickers and hagglers while keeping the "here, take my money" customers for themselves.
Big manufacturers don't exactly let their cars go for cheap to the dealerships; most of dealer profits come from upselling options and accessories, financing, insurance, maintenance, etc. It's like Best Buy bringing the customer in by selling TVs for close to their cost, while selling HDMI cables for a 2000% markup along with "Black Tie protection" insurance.

I don't know what Tesla's profit margins are, but a new company needs an injection of capital as soon as possible to be competitive with established players. Elon was upfront about his tiered plan to start with a high cost, low volume model and work towards reducing cost and increasing volume.

Elon heavily invests his own money into the projects he believes in, and gives credibility to what he states is his main objective:

Quote:
to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible. If we could have done that with our first product, we would have, but that was simply impossible to achieve for a startup company that had never built a car and that had one technology iteration and no economies of scale.
I'm sure Elon is a competitive guy and wants to be a success, but it seems clear his main objective is to advance the safety and well-being of humanity when he makes his products open-source.

If the Model 3 comes in at $35k before federal incentives, then it also represents the "budget" end of the EV market when the Leaf, with a 100 mile range goes for $33k, and the BMW i3 for $40k.

Elon Musk: 'Profits are Not Our Primary Goal' | Inc.com

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
UltArc (04-12-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

True Blue - '89 Honda Civic Hatchback, 1.5ltr, 70hp, 4 spd, Base model
Team Honda
90 day: 47.19 mpg (US)

Shorty - '01 Mazda Miata SE
Sports Cars
90 day: 33.66 mpg (US)
In silver, the front end of the Model 3 reminds me of Gort, the robot from the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (the original).
The Following User Says Thank You to ChewChewTrain For This Useful Post:
Thalass (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #54 (permalink)
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight for life View Post
So what does everyone think of the newest Tesla Model 3?
- What do you think about the front end including the lack of a grill?
- What do you think of the full Panoramic roof ?
- What do you think of the Specs?
- What do you think of the steel and aluminum mix now?
...Personally I am not a huge fan of the front end, but I may change my mind about that. I think they could do a better job at making that lack of grill look a little less blah feeling.
Over all I am a big fan!!!
I love it. So much that I bought one. Or, at least, reserved one. Now the Long Wait.

I like the front end as it is, but I suspect they'll put something like the X and new S black strip at the top. I think that's where the autopilot sensors go, so it's probably necessary.

I like the roof, and understand the reasons for it (and why the car can't be a hatchback like that). I may opt for the metal roof if it's cheaper, though I don't think it will do much. The strip between the back of the windscreen and the front of the back window isn't that wide.

For me the specs are really good. The range is more than enough for me. Enough range to get to the nearest supercharger, and from there to the rest of North America. The performance is good, and I'm pretty sure the AWD version will be a bit quicker so yay.

I don't have much opinion on the metal mix, really.

Overall I'm going to struggle to survive the next couple of years, as I grow to loathe my civic and it's archaic need for petrol hahaha

The Following User Says Thank You to Thalass For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (04-15-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 10:44 PM   #55 (permalink)
Model X Owner

Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalass View Post
I love it. So much that I bought one. Or, at least, reserved one. Now the Long Wait.
I reserved 2. And yes the long wait. Waited over two years to get my Model X. You will learn about Tesla Time now. But it will be worth the wait. There is nothing like instant torque.

The Bolt will fail because GM's dealers will not push it. There is no after sales service to make a fat profit off of and they would rather push their trucks and truck wannabees. Also there is no GM SuperCharger network. Hopefully Apple comes out with something that isn't flat out weird and ugly like the Motor Trend speculative fiasco. The more EV's out there the faster the arrival of the future for everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madodel For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (04-15-2016), Thalass (04-16-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #56 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
There's the reason I bought stock in the company. Ironic? Yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madodel View Post
The Bolt will fail because GM's dealers will not push it. There is no after sales service to make a fat profit off of and they would rather push their trucks and truck wannabees. Also there is no GM SuperCharger network. Hopefully Apple comes out with something that isn't flat out weird and ugly like the Motor Trend speculative fiasco. The more EV's out there the faster the arrival of the future for everyone.
The Bolt EV will not have the runaway success that the Model 3 has, but I think it will sell pretty well. It will be first on the market, and it has a hatch, and it will fit taller people than will the Model 3.

I agree that GM should invest in building a quick charging system - that is their mistake.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 04-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #58 (permalink)
Model X Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The Bolt EV will not have the runaway success that the Model 3 has, but I think it will sell pretty well. It will be first on the market, and it has a hatch, and it will fit taller people than will the Model 3.

I agree that GM should invest in building a quick charging system - that is their mistake.
I'm sure there will be demand, but will the dealers bother to stock them and push them? I remember when I went to Toyota dealers to buy my Highlander Hybrid 8 years ago. They all tried to talk me into a regular Highlander, and that was when gas was $4+ a gallon. And they insisted it had the same 4 cylinder motor and hybrid system as the Prius. They were clueless about their own product that I knew more about than they did. Maybe GM will do it right but I seriously doubt it. The dealer network is an albatross and they are all too invested in selling gas hogs. I see a lot of people who have bought Leafs and I3s to pass the time waiting for the real deal, the Model Ξ so I'm sure a lot of people will buy a Bolt to pass the time as well. :-) Maybe GM will partner with Tesla on the SuperChargers. That would be a big boost for the Bolt.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

No nickname - '17 Chevrolet BoltEV Premiere
Nope, they don't even include DC fast charging as standard.

I copied this for your review:

GM confirms 60 kWh battery pack for the Bolt EV and DC fast-charging will be optional

GM confirms 60 kWh battery pack for the Bolt EV and DC fast-charging will be optional [full specs] | Electrek

gasstingy
Old 04-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #60 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I'm glad that they are changing the styling on the front end. It resembled a sturgeon.
Otherwise, beautiful car !

Reply  Post New Thread