EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Texting Ban increase accident rate. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/texting-ban-increase-accident-rate-14696.html)

Lazarus 09-28-2010 01:06 PM

Texting Ban increase accident rate.

This is interesting

Quote:

But the bans haven't been effective. In fact, they may be responsible for a slight increase in distracted driving crashes, according to new research from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Quote:

It's not totally clear why the bans aren't having the intended effect, but researchers believe it may be because drivers - opting to text in spite of the bans - are holding their phones below the dashboard so police can't see them, taking their eyes and attention even further from the road

gone-ot 09-28-2010 01:37 PM

...BEFORE or AFTER idiots?

cfg83 09-28-2010 02:00 PM

Lazarus -

Sounds like it's going to take a generation of DUI/MADD-style of pressure to change this behavior. Would you call this Twitterholism, Twitoholism, or Textoholism?

CarloSW2

TomO 09-28-2010 02:11 PM

I'm seriously thinking about installing a cell phone jammer in my car, but I fear that might cause more problems as those idiots are trying to figure out why they can't text or talk on the phone all of a sudden.

Frank Lee 09-28-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 196351)
Lazarus -

Sounds like it's going to take a generation of DUI/MADD-style of pressure to change this behavior. Would you call this Twitterholism, Twitoholism, or Textoholism?

CarloSW2

Twits?

Unfortuneately, MADD = Nazi. They have gone waaaay too far. :mad:

Lazarus 09-28-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 196351)
Lazarus -

CarloSW2

The texting is a problem but not the only one and I agree it will be an up hill battle. I see this up close and personal about 3 times a week as someone will try to run over me while in the process of talking, texting ,reading, doing makeup, or watching DVD's. :mad:

I like Frank idea "twits"

bestclimb 09-28-2010 11:04 PM

I like DAMM
drunks against mad mothers

cfg83 09-29-2010 02:24 AM

Frank -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 196371)
Twits?

Unfortuneately, MADD = Nazi. They have gone waaaay too far. :mad:

Hee hee hee, I had a feeling you might say that. I don't have a better answer, but a preponderance of crashes is the only thing that will change this behavior.

But, by that time it won't matter because the testing will be replaced by wet-wired tele-talking into our brains.

CarloSW2

Phantom 09-29-2010 10:56 AM

It was a dumb idea to even place a law such as a texting ban on the books, the reason we have had a law that covered this and many other things like this its called "reckless driving".

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 196353)
I'm seriously thinking about installing a cell phone jammer in my car, but I fear that might cause more problems as those idiots are trying to figure out why they can't text or talk on the phone all of a sudden.

Not to mention that you could get in big trouble for this since usually jamming devices in violation of the FCC. Assuming you get caught, but I could use one of these at times also or a GPS jamming unit.

Arragonis 10-04-2010 01:13 PM

I say we go for the crashes, Darwin in action.

Unfortunately they may not just crash into each other.

I've been happily recording mobile phone muppets on my in car camera - which is deliberately out of reach for obvious reasons :)