Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2016, 11:16 PM   #101 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Duke - '13 KTM Duke 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Apart from any "nostalgia" and eventually some ease of maintenance due to their low-tech, there is no practical reasoning to get an ancient 400cc motorcycle instead of a modern one in the 200 to 300cc range.
Well, I do recall reading "wants to sell it for 600$" as opposed to "$ 4,199 suggested MSRP" - qualifies as a practical reasoning for me

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-27-2016 at 11:43 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #102 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Duke - '13 KTM Duke 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Let's see a fuel log. What was the price of that bike where you are and how much is the Honda CBR250R or CB300F if they sell them there?
Have been too lazy to keep a fuel log so far, but I normally fill up the 8 liter fuel tank after about 200 kilometers (which would be about 60 US mpg). I have also achieved something like 95 mpg (according to the onboard computer) when riding highway (at a sedentary pace,however)

Also, am not sure how illustrative it will be, as my typical commute includes about 50 % of lane-splitting among some lines of slow-moving or stationary cars where I go between 40 and 80 kpH (depending on traffic). The other 50 % have to make up for the fun I miss on that part, so I am typically not riding in the most economical mode. This is likely not conductive to achieving the best overall mpg.

The CBR 250R is now available, at roughly the same price as my bike. Don't know why I did not look at that one in detail when I bought my bike in 2013. I was looking at the then newly introduced CBR 500R, but that was quite a bit more expensive with the anti-lock brake option (standard on the KTM) at that time. As my bike was locally assembled in Malaysia, where I live, it was about 30 % cheaper than the CBR 500R which is imported completely built up (price in Germany for the two bikes was similar at that time)

Also, I was at that time more interested in a bike without fairing, as I did not know that nowadays there are some cool crash protectors available that will protect the fairing if you should have a crash at some point in time (those were not available in my earlier motorcycle riding days in the 90's)
Old 01-27-2016, 11:42 PM   #103 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Duke - '13 KTM Duke 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
There are any number of moto snow tires for sale in Europe.
... which does not, IMHO, however, say, that it would make any practical sense to ride a motorbike on ice and snow. (other than ice speedway with studded tires)

Seriously, even with anti-lock-brakes (new models like KTM 1190 Adventure, BMW S 1000 XR, Ducati 1299 Panigale S and Yamaha YZF-R1 even have even cornering-anti-lock-brakes, but are likely not in any of the "most economical motorbike" lists), once you encounter an ice patch in a corner, you will reconsider the wisdom of using 2 instead of 4 wheels. That is, at least, my opinion, YMMV.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #104 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Well, I do recall reading "wants to sell it for 600$" as opposed to "$ 4,199 suggested MSRP" - qualifies as a practical reasoning for me
Indeed. But newer bikes usually have an improved handling which makes them better suitable for novice riders.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #105 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Sure, but there are also other variants. If low engine speed was the only criterium, the Honda NC700/NC750 would be the no-brainer...
That's why the 300, 500, and 700 all have about the same mpg.
Because the 300 is meant to ride on the 6+ k rpm range, while the 700 has enough power down low to the 2k range.

Reply  Post New Thread