EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Thoughts about EM (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/thoughts-about-em-24249.html)

Lazarus 12-08-2012 04:32 PM

Thoughts about EM

I was thinking about the 5 year birthday of EM and the affect that it has had.

I've not really posted in a long time although I still lurk. I've never been much of a "modder" but have had some success at eco-driving. The ripples of Ben and Darins brainchild has made a pretty big impact on me and those around me.

Like most, I suspect, I started the adventure due to gas prices. Everyone thought I was nuts. The neighbors called me the "mad scientist" due to the things I was messing with. Long story short. I went from not even being aware of energy to a Car-ectomy. Heck, for over a year I was riding a bike on my 52 mile commute.

Now it kind of come 180 degrees from where it began. Now energy impact is the first thing I think about form cars, home and food, etc. It also has trickled down to family, friends and neighbors. They might not go all about but at least they are thinking.....

Your never know what ripples your actions will cause. :turtle:

MetroMPG 12-08-2012 10:59 PM

I've always had the idea that optimizing for efficiency can be a positive "slippery slope".

That's why I've always thought we should try not to scare away the new users who show up during the annual gas price spikes wanting to know how to save money commuting in their Tahoes (or insert whatever-gas-hog-here). If they're genuinely interested in making an effort to learn & become more efficient, there's a decent chance the change can be pretty dramatic in the end.

It's not hard for the average person to make a significant reduction in consumption without even really doing very much. Change driving style & add a few simple mods and 20% is pretty easily in reach. That's a big payback on a thirsty vehicle - a lot of positive reinforcement.

We've seen more than a couple of members make big changes -- and have fun doing it (eg. trading for a more thrifty vehicle) -- once they get on the slippery slope.

JethroBodine 12-09-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 344427)
trading for a more thrifty vehicle

...Or modifying the snot out of one:D!

I've also noticed the ripple effect on my co-workers. In the lunch room now there are discussions( not started by me) about fuel economy of vehicles and the desire to get better mileage. No questions about ride-alongs yet, but there might be in the future. I do know that there are a couple guys that are looking for caps for there pickups and if they had access to aero caps that looked "factory", with windows, and assist lift rods, might actually think about considering buying them. Step in the right direction for a bunch of hardcore, redneck, don't-f**k-with-my-truck types( like I used to be:o:thumbup:).

MetroMPG 12-09-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JethroBodine (Post 344471)
...Or modifying the snot out of one:D!

Or both!

2000neon 12-09-2012 12:55 PM

I did both, modified my Neon like crazy... Then traded for a better car. :D