Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 01:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post
I grew up in a trucking family...

I have always thought that a bunch of "truck-trains" would make sense. Trucks with tractors would be driven onto a train, the drivers would retire to the lounge/sleeping car to travel in comfort to a hub near their final destination. The trucks would then be driven off the train and head for the factory docks.
Consequently, I grew up in a Railroad family. I can say that the influential Intermodal depots would instigate a "payload only" initiative. Plus there's safety and emergency concerns. Changing a railroad's operating procedure happens every 25 years or more.

Norfolk Southern had a neat idea with the "Triple Crown" or "Roadrailer" service several years ago (still in operation on a limited basis and with Amtrak). The trailer has the ability to attach railroad trucks between the rear axles or at other attachment points, and be shipped using maritime operations (3 modes):

In the meantime, many point-to-point, LTL, and the vast majority of intermodal services will rely on truckers to do the runs.

RH77

_
_
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
Sequential

The Truck - '00 Chevy S10 Extended Cab
90 day: 22.47 mpg (US)
Like this...

Small truck versions hard and inflated

Click image for larger version

Name:	user322_pic276_1215181237.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1523

Click image for larger version

Name:	user322_pic130_1215137763.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1524

credit to aerohead gallery!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
What's sad is I was researching this to see if I am re-inventing the wheel here and all I found was a company that got money to build what they called a boat tail ... Try not to cry to hard; Ken Visser Research Page

The sad news is they saw a positive change with something so primitive. But in my opinion is so wrong on so many levels.
Well, I think this automated inflatable boat tail design is a whole lot better. There is no requirement for the driver to do anything. It automatically deploys at highway speeds. Then it stows before arriving at the dock. Its called the SmartTail by ATS. ATS Aerodynamic Trailer Systems - SmartTail and WindTamer products to reduce aerodynamic drag

Old 12-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Lightbulb Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastTrack View Post
Well, I think this automated inflatable boat tail design is a whole lot better. There is no requirement for the driver to do anything. It automatically deploys at highway speeds. Then it stows before arriving at the dock. Its called the SmartTail by ATS. ATS Aerodynamic Trailer Systems - SmartTail and WindTamer products to reduce aerodynamic drag

Maybe it will make a go of it in the market.
With nothing more than a cruise control logic and a potentiometer to adjust set-points,the driver shouldn't have to be bothered by it.I came up with a simple reversing valve which allows the inflation fan to do the evacuation of the
envelope.
If they would allow the lower portion to be 'bagged',they could do away with a lot of dangerous splash and spray along with additional drag reduction.
Steven Chu might dictate terms to D.O.T. and ask for resignations from anyone who doesn't want to play ball.

Reply  Post New Thread