Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Travel trailer, Rocketbox, hitch-mount cargo carrier?

Hey all, I recently picked up a 2012 Mazda as our new family car. I really like the versatility and relative economy, especially compared to the big things that "mini"vans have become. It can haul 6 people (4 adults and 2 kids is best), or 4 people and their luggage, but unlike the big minivans, not both. So for this summer, I will need to make some adaptation for planned road trips with more than 4 people.

I'm shopping now for a luggage solution. My assumption is that a hitch mounted cargo carrier like this one on a MZ5

would be the least disruptive to aerodynamics, as opposed to a roof-mounted carrier like a Rocketbox or a small travel trailer. But I've also learned here that I don't know beans about aero, and the best solution isn't always most obvious.

Your thoughts are welcome, thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifunego View Post
Hey all, I recently picked up a 2012 Mazda as our new family car. I really like the versatility and relative economy, especially compared to the big things that "mini"vans have become. It can haul 6 people (4 adults and 2 kids is best), or 4 people and their luggage, but unlike the big minivans, not both. So for this summer, I will need to make some adaptation for planned road trips with more than 4 people.

I'm shopping now for a luggage solution. My assumption is that a hitch mounted cargo carrier like this one on a MZ5

would be the least disruptive to aerodynamics, as opposed to a roof-mounted carrier like a Rocketbox or a small travel trailer. But I've also learned here that I don't know beans about aero, and the best solution isn't always most obvious.

Your thoughts are welcome, thanks.
You did the right thing.And in the future,a light streamlined container could be fabricated for it,to weatherize all your gear and extend your driving range.
Good move!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You did the right thing.And in the future,a light streamlined container could be fabricated for it,to weatherize all your gear and extend your driving range.
Good move!
Actually, I haven't gotten it yet. The one bummer about the deal is that I can only get a class 1 hitch for it, which I believe has a 200 lb. weight limit. And since I have been unable to find an aluminum rack to fit a class 1, I have to go with a heavier steel rack, thus cutting into the capacity. I imagine with coolers, camping equipment, and bottled beverages, we'll hit the limit fast.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifunego View Post
Actually, I haven't gotten it yet. The one bummer about the deal is that I can only get a class 1 hitch for it, which I believe has a 200 lb. weight limit. And since I have been unable to find an aluminum rack to fit a class 1, I have to go with a heavier steel rack, thus cutting into the capacity. I imagine with coolers, camping equipment, and bottled beverages, we'll hit the limit fast.
Until a suitable light metal unit comes along,'guess we'll have to chip in together 'n come up with a can of anti-gravity spray for you.

Reply  Post New Thread