Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #41 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts

I wonder what kind of change that covering the sides and top of a car carrier rig would show.

This is nicely done, but seems to have more potential .... better than nothing though.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #42 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
they easly could increase the FE of semis but it would take a industry shift , as the problems is all trucks need to be able to haul any trailer .. universal fit type of thing.. the new areo trucks and trialers would probably not work on older rigs.. ..

I bet they could get semis in the range of some suvs through areo and carbon fiber ect.. but then again once they take a few tons of the empty weight they will increase the load size to max out the tonage they can haul.. but none the less thats more efficiency.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I still think there are more ways to improve train efficiencies, but none are related to gas mileage, just the dynamic braking. when they enter dynamic braking mode they turn the wheel motors into generators and then just burn off that energy. call me crazy, but wouldn't the weight of a 300,000 ton train dropping a few thousand feet generate quite a large amount of energy? I think some power transmission lines that recieve power from the train and run through a transformer to make it acceptable to run back into the power grid. this would help improve their overall efficiency
Old 06-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
My dad, who's driven TT's for 38 years, took one look at the aero modded trailers and asked: "How am I supposed to back that thing up to a loading dock?"