Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Air brakes compressor?

Hi

1st actual post. Be gentle

I have a 'RV' (an?) with a 6 litre diesel engine, and air brakes. For those that dont know, air brakes work 'backwards' in that the air hold the brakes 'off' and when you press the pedal, it bleeds air to a big spring / piston which puts the brakes on.

Obviously, losing braking is a Bad Thing. Hence why it works backwards, in case of an air leak.

The air is provided by a dirty great big compressor as can be seen on this picture

edit - not allowed to post links! grrr.

the air is then fed to a set of tanks that do, respectivly, front brakes, back brakes and Everything Else (exhaust brakes, air doors etc)

There is an 'unloading' valve just before the tanks, which blows off the unwanted air - quite dramatically if you are in a dusty 'parking lot' (car park?). then the air continues to be pumped down the ?1" diameter? air line about probably 20 feet to the unloading valve from the engine mounted pump.

The pump is incredibly difficult to get to, my vehicle has a fixed cab (basically a coach / bus, with a front engine)

Any ideas? worth trying to 'delete' somehow (electric air pump?) Or too dangerous?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	12099  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

next up - big belly pan -

its about 7'6" wide - I have a load of sheet ally (aluminium - note correct spelling for the colonials ) - but was wondering how peeps attach it to the bottom - preferably people in wetter climes, as the weather here in the UK is wet, and the put salt (yes, like on your fries) on the roads in winter to stop ice - this plays havoc with metal. The chassis is steel, and galvanic corrosion with ally would be Interesting to say the least. A 8 x 4 sheet of ally is going to require more than the cloroplast norm of cable ties, as it would quite easily decapitate someone if it came off. Nylon bolts? (I can get these easily)
Old 12-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Beyond TLC - '89 Volkswagen Golf Syncro Gti
90 day: 26.78 mpg (US)

Gypsy deathtrap - '96 Seat Cordoba Tdi
90 day: 63.56 mpg (US)

Pinky - '00 Opel Corsa
90 day: 39.29 mpg (US)

corsavan - '11 opel corsavan
90 day: 52.41 mpg (US)

cordoba - '01 seat cordoba estate
90 day: 39 mpg (US)
Is this a live-in vehicle or a commercial? I'd err on the side of caution with belly-pan fixings. Make them strong. Steel bolts are fine with some waxoyl/copperease spotted over the top. Pieces of rubber sheet between the ally and the chassis will stop any galvanic corrosion if you're bothered about that.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

its a camper - van. Ill try the rubber washers idea.

Third question. Reduction in frontal area - and reducing air flow under the vehicle, ideally we should lower the front suspension as much as is practical. My front approach angle is 12 degrees, so I cant afford much of a drop. However - why couldnt I drop the front suspension, but have air bag 'lift' back up to standard. I have a pair of bags and all the controls kicking about. For round town driving, air up, on highway, drop the air out.

old idea?

Reply  Post New Thread