Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
There was a time when you could choose a 2-door sedan, coupe or business coupe. The 1950 Hudson and 1950 Studebaker business coupes were probably my favorites.

https://motorbase.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/pictures.ubh/2007/04/05/fs_51Studebaker_Champion_business_coupe.jpg

Nobody makes landaulets anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
niky (06-14-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
The bodystyle nomenclature thing has always mystified me. Two door sedan I (kinda) get, but the four door coupe thing still offends my sensibilities. There's a lot more room for play with the terminology than I want to admit.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 10-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
According to Hoovie, some manufacturers call sedans coupes because they have coupe rooflines in the rear, which he does not appreciate, because he has a head, and cannot simply set it in his lap (my words). He also found Mercedes claiming that the Society of Automotive Engineers defined coupes and sedans not by the number of doors, but by interior volume, which would make small four-door cars coupes and large two-door cars sedans. He also gave examples of various cars that had their own terms like fastback, sportback, freckleback, wait, no...

Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
But in an age where a Civic sedan has a roofline with so much taper that it comes as a genuine shock that it has a separate trunk
Just like the Audi A5 and A7, the early Passat/Dasher (some were even assembled there in the Philippines by DMG resorting to Brazilian CKD kits), and even some versions of the Fiat 127 had such feature.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Not Doug

Some guy on YouTube made fun of Mercedes calling a 4-door vehicle a coupe. He built what he called a $6,000 chicken coop with what I can only guess are $6,000 worth of tools.

He is putting better craftsmanship into a chicken coupe than I am putting into our shed and it is for me and guests!

Of course, I have $60 in tools...

Can anyone name all of the vehicles in his garage? I watched videos at double speed yesterday while I weeded and I found this video far more entertaining!
Old 06-26-2022, 10:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
Rarely is swerving the better option than braking, as we see here. If a collision is unavoidable, make the responsible sob be part of the mess.
My father took to the ditch when the neighbor down the road pulled out in front of him. Spent four months in the hospital. Not her fault because he didn't clip her.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Not Doug

Unfortunately, if he rear-ended her he probably would have been cited.

I wonder what the police would have done had I not been able to stop my school bus in-time when a Neon cut me off and immediately stopped.

I wonder how I stopped in-time.

I shared a video where the guy talks about his current cars elsewhere. He started talking about how important therapy is and how everyone can benefit from it. He said the video wasn't sponsored, he just wanted to share a service he used.

He then shared that he had started going to therapy when he learned that his then-wife was emotionally cheating on him and then she left, which seemed like a surprising amount of personal drama for the second video I watched.

At some point he also mentioned that he makes enough from his videos to support himself.

He has a little over 100,000 subscribers and his videos often have 100,000 views.

I wish that my projects paid for themselves!

Two problems:
  1. He usually knows what he is doing.
  2. I find him entertaining.
I usually don't know what I am doing and I don't find myself entertaining.

I kept seeing links to this, but I am watching his videos from most-viewed to least-popular, and I hadn't gotten there yet. Well, I got there, and he complained about cutting full sheets of plywood on his table saw, so he cut a full sheet of plywood on his table saw, and made this guide to make future. I think it is a great design, I just don't have the tools to make it, nor anywhere to put it. There is that 4x8 bench that I made for Mom, but her tomato plants are thriving, and living right in the middle of the bench, which is why I made it.

Last edited by Xist; 06-27-2022 at 12:04 PM..
Old 06-27-2022, 12:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Not Doug

In this video he fixes the Nissan Figaro of the guy from Technology Connections. Collaboration? Well, so far Mr. Technology Connections just said "Hi!" [he talked a bit at the end].

You know what? I should find and share the first video first!
That channel has almost a quarter million subscriptions and a comparable number of views per video, so maybe that is the magical number to be paid to work on your projects.

Here is another video with Technology Connections:
Old 06-27-2022, 02:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Not Doug

I have watched all 36 videos on that channel, produced in the last 2 years, so one about every 3 weeks?

He mentioned that he was using his new domino tool for a video just for a tax deduction, so at least the next time I make a decent purchase I may start making videos. Nobody will watch them, but I can deduct the expenses!

If only I had thought of this when I bought the 2002 Civic...

Well, my federal tax rate is 12% on everything above $9,950, so I could have recovered $96 on that purchase, but what about state?!

Well, that is only 2.59%. I am pretty sure that I was just under the next tier and of course only whatever I might earn over that amount would be at the higher rate, but 2.59% of $800 is $20.72, plus $96, so a total of $116.72.

I don't remember how much I paid for registration. The calculator says it would have been $44.80.

Did I claim that on my taxes?

I tracked down the site, but apparently I used my desktop, as I had for the 5 previous returns, so I will look up that later.

If I make a video about Crazy J replacing the engine and transmission, can I deduct the engine, transmission, and labor?!

That might save me $350, but would still cost at least $2,000!

The YouTube guy drove to Georgia, reviewed a Yugo in especially poor condition, the same Yugo that Doug DeMuro reviewed, and then Tavarish souped up.

Then Tavarish gave it back to him: He made a video destroying a 2003 Lancer and has almost 1.5M views: What is the profit margin on buying cheap cars that aren't roadworthy and destroying them on camera?

Well, they need to run and drive. I don't think my 2002 could do everything he did in the video and that cost me $800. Here is a video of him destroying a 1992 Civic: I was only able to watch about half. It was too similar to the Lancer video and I like Civics!
Old 06-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I stopped going to destruction derbies in the 1950s when this one white Studebaker got ganged up on.

What do you think of Bad Chad's channel?

At ?t=210 Jolene says they are growing from a five figure business to a six figure business. You want drama?

Quote:
https://knowyourmeme.com › memes › internet-hate-machine
Internet Hate Machine | Know Your Meme
Internet Hate Machine is a term initially used by a Los Angeles news station to describe Anonymous, which has since been co-opted as an inside joke by members of the group.

Reply  Post New Thread