Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Warren

heres the pics...the other pics were to large for upload!!sorry to ramble.yes...as you say itll be coupling them up.the devils always in the detail
The motors are made by Iskra.It has thermal protection as well.There was a thermosensor on the unit.Believe they are from 2kw-2.2kw-so maybe they arent any good for a car...but i build my own chassis,so maybe a little go-kart...i dnt know!!seems a waste to just let them go.But yes,they are in that range.Remember that these units have just been sitting in piles of crap for quite a while!!but it works cos iv put power through it.It jumped off the table!!!!Fenner are linked with these motors,(think they are licensed to manufacture them?) Hmm...it was worth a shot!shame really,cos put 6 of these longitudinally next to another,2 rows of 6 and i was thinking there'd be quite shifty for a little one seater cart?Just to get a feel for when i get bigger and bigger.O well.
Apologise for my ranting.Sorry.......theres the milk float picture in there as well to cheer you up!3 into1 doesnt go....yes it does.See how there've used pulleys and belts... apparently they had trouble with the belts slipping during the speed test.I would use chains and heavy duty sprockets.The chain would have to be able to handle the torque,but i have been looking at doubled chains and doubled sprockets from www.bearingboys.co.uk they list the amount of torque(nM) the chains can take.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside the housing of the 24vmotor.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	8001   Click image for larger version

Name:	starter motor solenoid maybe24v80a.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	8002   Click image for larger version

Name:	there she blows...all shiny and good looking.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	8003   Click image for larger version

Name:	top veiw..brushes are not even worn!!.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	8004   Click image for larger version

Name:	milk float innards for speed test.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	8005  

Name:	Double_Simpex_Sprockets.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	8007   Click image for larger version

Name:	double-chain.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	8008   Click image for larger version

Name:	pilot bore sprockets.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	8009  

Last edited by Ranger4Free; 03-23-2011 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: motor mentalness
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
VW Polo EV

Motor frame

Nice looking motor frame!
Are the rubber couplings rated to cope with the power output & RPMs of the elctric motors?
That was the problem I had - no suitable rubber coupling that could cope with the RPMs.
Designed & made a solid one instead.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Warren

many mini motor madness

When you say rubber couplings do you mean the pulleys on the milk float?Or are you referring to Harlequins motor mount with 2 motors coupled together?
Heres a nice picture of a pilot hole coupling joint-with this you can bore out any size hole,maybe even machine out grooves for the splines.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pilot bore couplings.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	8010  

Last edited by Ranger4Free; 03-23-2011 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: query&coupling pic.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
VW Polo EV

harlequins motor couplings
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Warren

question about couplings...

Have you any pics of your couplings?did you fab them yourself(lathe work)...if so what did you use and how did you go about it?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModder

In answer to all of the above, the BMW318 uses a rubber coupling from the gearbox to the front driveshaft. That coupling can handle the power, torque and rpm of the ic engine - and then some! - so I figured it ought to manage the electric motors two.....
I think I mentioned this earlier.
I bought a couple of couplers from a couple of wreckers, plus the one I had already and picked the best ones from all of them. The rubber bit is a disk of about 120mm dia and about 35 mm thick with six holes, each of which has a steel insert. Each side of the coupler is a 3-fingered "spider" with holes in the legs spaced 120 deg apart and 3 x 10mm bolts go through each one. You can see from the picture in my first post how it goes together.
The 2 spiders have central bosses, one splined to fit the gearbox output shaft and the other splined for the drive shaft end.
I cut these splined bosses off two of the spiders and machined some new ones to fit my motor shafts, welded them to the spiders, bored them out to the appropriate shaft sizes and cut keyways also to suit the motor shafts. Did the same with another spider to fit the rear motor output shaft to enable it to connect to the drive shaft.
I think I paid something like $10 each for the extra couplings from the wrecker(s) so it worked out pretty cheap - not counting the lathe, welder etc. I had to send them out to get the keyways cut and that cost more than the couplers!

Look again at my earler pictures and it should all be clear.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
VW Polo EV

Sounds like those rubber couplings will work just fine.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Warren

Smile 2 motors mounted one on top of the other in vw

hi all,
Came across this forum with (to me at least) some interesting ides/setup of how they have joined 2 motors(think 11" beasts)...!On the site they show the V dub pulling away and it burnt rubber...no water on the floor etc-the torque was phenomenal.Im mega passionate about utilising two motors(or more),for speed,accelaration from stop to start and overall distance at 'sensible speeds' but with a little reserve to boost the speed/acceleration in the car when some yuppie spoilt rich kid goes past you in a porche laughing at your 'tree hugger car'...ive actually been called that by someone...tree hugger!Wan**rs!i love my planet cos its the only one we've got!thats why im here and appreciate Harlequin for opening this thread....maybe its got some future and the legs to run a good long thread with plenty of contributions.I'm more at the moment focusing on the chassis mock-up,but will definitely need help with the motor installation....which is why im subscribed to this thread....im not ashamed to admit my knowledge,experience and skill is very basic!So heres the pictures...some of you may already be familiar with this site/forum anyway.
P.S.Im also thinking of opening a thread regarding chassis mock ups,designs and fabrication-linked to all these other threads...then its all here in one complete package for people interested in making there EV's from scratch...lightweight chassis with high power.Thanks for listening(to my ramblings Harlequin by the way...LOL...apologies).
web site:- RebirthAuto Racing Twin Motor Adapter for Air Cooled Volkswagen & Porsche
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	twin dc motor.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	8015  

Last edited by Ranger4Free; 03-25-2011 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: bad grammer
Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey guys, look at this Porsche 2 motor conversion, I think great job

Elektroporsche

My 2c.

-Y

http://1-ev.blogspot.com/2011/12/1-e...-car-show.html
Reply  Post New Thread