Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Eric's Explorer - '01 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)

E's V - '07 Nissan Versa SL
90 day: 33.11 mpg (US)
I would be a bit concerned about the mirror-to-camera conversion but if you have the same field of view it could be fine I guess.

Have you considered a diesel performance chip and high-flow exhaust?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
A vehicle that size sort of overpowers mirrors. I see you have smaller ones to view the front wheel and the bumper area. Do you just have the two? I could see one at each corner and one in the middle of the back.

If the cameras are low-light/infra-red capable they could be better at night than the stock mirrors.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a wide angle 120 degree camera on each side. My drivers side (right) has pretty good visibility, my passenger side has just the one camera at the moment, but I have spares, Im not sure where to put them at the moment - half way along? at the back looking forward / down?

The cameras feed a security camera type quad splitter, with easy buttons on it to select any one camera or split 4 ways. This then goes to an upscaler iScan Pro, which again has nice easy to use brightness / contrast knobs on it. This should allow me to adjust the picture quickly for best view given the circumstances (night time countryside, or in town). this then goes to a 15" monitor about where the sun visor is. I am going to keep the actual mirrors in a locker for a while, and then maybe sell the mirrors and get some smaller emergency ones. Maybe fit a single wide angle to the inside passenger A pillar.

The UK truck regulations specify that you need a plain flat mirror, plus a wide angle, plus a look-down mirror on the passenger side. I am not subject to those regs though.

Oh - and I have a normal reversing camera, on its own screen.

Chip? hahhahaha - no this is a 1996 vehicle with mechanical injection - a Bosch VE pump, so no electronics. High flow exhaust? Not exactly available off the shelf, and its pretty big - 2.5 or 3" diameter, but its limited by the exhaust brake (a valve that shuts the exhaust off for massive engine braking down long hills in the Alps)
Old 12-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Sippin' gasoline

ecohok 2 - '94 Volkswagen Polo Steilheck/Breadvan
OK, I understand your vision is good from the cab. I then guess streamlining will be the way to go. Give it a maintenance job and have fun. Drive safe and slow .
Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Which engine does it have, a Cummins?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No, there are other manufacturers in the world apart from cummins and chevvy....

Its an iveco / fiat "aifo" engine, number 8060.45b 5.8litre inline six. It is glow plug, bosch ve injection, but im not sure if its direct or indirect injection, some of the smaller versions (8040) which are just 4cylinder shortened versions are indirect.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Sippin' gasoline

ecohok 2 - '94 Volkswagen Polo Steilheck/Breadvan
How about boosting the turbo?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd View Post
No, there are other manufacturers in the world apart from cummins and chevvy....

Its an iveco / fiat "aifo" engine, number 8060.45b 5.8litre inline six. It is glow plug, bosch ve injection, but im not sure if its direct or indirect injection, some of the smaller versions (8040) which are just 4cylinder shortened versions are indirect.
Iveco has some ties with Cummins anyways

Probably it's direct injection.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have been doing a bit if researching, and there are several variants of my engine. They are all the same basic configuration, and use the same turbo, but the power output varies from 140 to 230hp, as stock. The only difference i can find is the lowest powe version hant got an intercooler (mine has). Mine is the 180hp version. Im not any good with diesels, but i do know that vw made several versions of the 1.9 tdi lump, and in england you can tell which someone has by how many letters are red on the boot badge, all black is 70hp, i in red is 90, etc. Correspondingly, and contra-instinctivly, the more power, the greater the mpg rating. so, is upping the available power on mine possibly going to improve mpg?

THere are times that the extra power would be welcome, like up long hills.

I hate typing on a tablet, its really awkward to edit.

Edit, its direct injection, as found in the genuine iveco workshop manual.... Poo, that means an awkward twin tank setup for veg oil.

Last edited by guyd; 01-01-2013 at 10:15 AM..
Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

how do other people with turbo-diesels with intercoolers fare with grille blocking? Surely blocking the air to the intercooler reduces efficiency, or does the rad get moved? My intercooler is directly in front of the main coolant rad, so one or t'other would have to be moved - I suspect the coolant would be easier / better to move as pipe length doesnt matter on water, but does on air.

Reply  Post New Thread