Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Electric MG Midget

Update on my electric MG Midget

I just thought I'd report on my Midget. I'm now over 13,000 miles of driving in the last 4 years. So far I've had only one real issue with a loose nut on the controller post. This caused arcing and required me be to rebuild the post. I haven't checked the range lately, but I have driven out past 60 miles before charging. I regularly wait till I've hit 50 miles or more before plugging it in. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the charge or discharge cycles which are monitored by my Elithion BMS. I don't hook up a computer to examine the cells, but the fact that the charge cycle still finishes in the same time and the automatic top balancing finishes as well tells me the batteries have to be close to the same condition I started with. I only get a warning light out of the BMS when it's below 30 degrees F outside. It is probably an over current warning , but I haven't checked the error logs. The batteries are 1600MAH Thundersky and where manufactured in 2009. So for people wondering about how long the cells will last, I have 6 year old cells that seem to be fine. I'm no where near the maximum charge/discharge cycle limits. I also never draw more than 3C current with my setup. (Max 500 amps)
I like seeing all of the Mg and Triumph builds being posted here. These are good cars to convert and can perform very well due to the low weight and small frontal area. For people who would like to see more of my car you can visit my website. It hasn't changed for a long time because I really just drive the car. I haven't modified the car in 3 1/2 years.

Daox (12-19-2015), freebeard (12-20-2015), nemo (12-19-2015), Ryland (12-19-2015), thingstodo (12-20-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Thanks for the update.

Reply  Post New Thread