Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #191 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
A low budget tip:
Centurion's side windows are fixed and as such, on a sunny day it can get "rather warm" in the cabin.
The optional sunroof helps to let the heat out but fresh air mainly enters through the added cowl vent. This "vent" is little more than an opening covered by a metal floor grate. With the base of the windshield generally being an area of positive air pressure, a substantial airflow is possible through this vent.
There are times when it's necessary to close the cowl vent and nothing beats cheap-n-easy, as long as it works. The cheap-n-easy solution to capping off the cowl vent is an oversize flexible refrigerator magnet.

It works and it is "cheap-n-easy"!
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 11:08 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
UltArc (08-20-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #192 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion update - Fall 2014

Centurion update - Fall 2014
It's officially Fall here in Northern NY and Centurion is showing its new Fall colors. Look closely and you'll pick it right up. This marks the beginning of something...
For those of you who have been following this thread for the last couple of years - thank you! And, if you've found it even remotely interesting, absurd or entertaining, then you'll likely not be disappointed as Centurion continues onward to even more adventures.
In previous postings, nearly every idea above and beyond what the original set of plans called for, has been revealed. The few items not listed should be very clear to anyone who actually goes through the pains to create a Centurion, and then they can decide if it's worth the extra effort to do them, but my strong suggestion is to "crawl before you walk"....
This Centurion's work is not quite done yet though, and depending on the outcome some may say the project went in the wrong direction, others will disagree. In any event, it should be one hell-a-va ride!
Take-a-well-deserved-break....... but...... Stay Tuned.......

Happy Labor Day folks!
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 11:08 PM..
mikeyjd (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #193 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Preliminary update:
Centurion has scored a partial victory as of today!
Over the last several weeks of testing, a new benchmark has been achieved.
Previous top speed: 65mph
Current max intermittent top speed: 88mph (the exact speed the flux capacitor will kick in at )
Captured below is a small segment of that run at 77mph:
Kubota Powered Centurion tops 77mph! - YouTube
Initially, overall fuel economy (at legal road speeds) took a very discouraging hit. Discouraging in this case means plummeting to a scant 115 mpg
That issue may be mostly resolved pending the outcome of the latest two fuel fills.
With any major change there are trade-offs. The trade-off this time is the Tri-Magnum under the cover in the next stall, waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Luckily Centurion hasn't consumed alot of time. Have a good day!!
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 11:09 PM..
mikeyjd (09-13-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #194 (permalink)
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Great info in this thread and great debates and insight. I apologize if this post comes off harshly as you have made great achievements with your effort into maximizing the efficiency of fossil fuels.

Approximately how quickly do you accelerate to 45 mph, I believe this would be the major safety issue in most large towns and heavy traffic areas.

Is this vehicle driven daily as a regular commuter or only on special occasions for applied testing

As discussed you referenced motor cycle safety in regards to this vehicle, however your color combination right now particularly is unsafe, in a way comparable to not wearing a helmet while riding. In your situation I would be more worried about being mamed in a wreck, not just being killed. Imagine being run over by a Camry sedan turning left in front of you and your legs punctured by the pedal assembly and bleeding out in the street as the old woman who hit you sits in her car confused as what to do for ten minutes before calling for help

Instead of changing the color however I highly suggest changing the racing stripes to a metallic style reflective color. Or at the very least adding reflective tape to your front and rear bumpers.

Apologies, if this vehicle was only constructed to test fossil fuel efficiency and not to create efficient transportation than please dis regard.

My civic thread
Old 09-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #195 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Can't wait to see your Tri-Magnum build.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #196 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post
Great info in this thread and great debates and insight. I apologize if this post comes off harshly as you have made great achievements with your effort into maximizing the efficiency of fossil fuels.

Approximately how quickly do you accelerate to 45 mph, I believe this would be the major safety issue in most large towns and heavy traffic areas.

Is this vehicle driven daily as a regular commuter or only on special occasions for applied testing

As discussed you referenced motor cycle safety in regards to this vehicle, however your color combination right now particularly is unsafe, in a way comparable to not wearing a helmet while riding. In your situation I would be more worried about being mamed in a wreck, not just being killed. Imagine being run over by a Camry sedan turning left in front of you and your legs punctured by the pedal assembly and bleeding out in the street as the old woman who hit you sits in her car confused as what to do for ten minutes before calling for help

Instead of changing the color however I highly suggest changing the racing stripes to a metallic style reflective color. Or at the very least adding reflective tape to your front and rear bumpers.

Apologies, if this vehicle was only constructed to test fossil fuel efficiency and not to create efficient transportation than please dis regard.
Thank you for your posting and concern, however my experience is not at all what you are suggesting:

~CrazyJerry
Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #197 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Twenty pages and roughly two years ago, I had hoped pulling Centurion's engine would be a thing of the past - so much for that thought!

Revisiting that direction, below is a shot showing some of the exposed supports around the radiator. The silver pan beneath those is the lower ducting for air enroute to the radiator from the intake slit just below the front bumper. Hood release mechanism and headlight raise/lower hardware also can be seen.

This should be fun..
Again...
~CrazyJerry

Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #198 (permalink)

Glad to see you drive the Centurion regularly. Many of the unique high mpg cars sit unused. Seven has only ~3,000 miles. It reminds me of the EV1's in museums and makes me sad.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #199 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Quote:
sheepdog 44 : Glad to see you drive the Centurion regularly. Many of the unique high mpg cars sit unused. Seven has only ~3,000 miles. It reminds me of the EV1's in museums and makes me sad.
Makes me sad too
Some birds should never be caged.
Centurion dvrs every trip so there always a terrabyte of "action" on tap

And the beat goes on....

~CrazyJerry
Old 09-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #200 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

One of the more difficult items to remove from Centurion is the radiator. Although it is not very big, there are a total of six bolts that hold it in; "It ain't going anywhere." There's two on each side (an upper and a lower) and two on the bottom. Add to that a puke tank, upper and lower hoses, and electric fan with associated wiring round out the picture.

Almost looks like enough room for a couple more cylinders!
Here's another angle that gives a frontal look at "Big Mama" as she waits to be ejected from the Mothership:

Fast forwarding through the disconnect of the battery, fuel lines, exhaust pipe, alternator, throttle and shut-off cables - there's still a few more things to do before the D850 can be lifted out of its engine bay.
And those wonderful items are located elsewhere.... so get ready to play "Twister"!
~CrazyJerry

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
urba centurion