Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 AM   #471 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Radiator swap
-
This summer's travels brought about the most recent upgrade to a more effective radiator for Centurion. Whereas the original plans/setup worked well, this build has continued to push into uncharted territory and some of the "what ifs" should at least be tried.
-
The old radiator is about to be removed here..
-

-
-
The new radiator is an aluminum design for a manual transmission Honda Del Sol and is shown alongside the old one for comparison:
-

-
-
With a bit of an installation angle, it fits well and works superbly! Even in town, there is little need for kicking on the electric fan.
-

-

-

-
-
As a side note, the previous thermostat was removed and a 195 deg installed. Temp readings are now very constant in any condition with little variation.
-
That's the latest!
-
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 10:27 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #472 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
You make me so envious, BUT...

Centurion is a two-seater. There's three of us carpooling. And I know your tee-ninetsie li'l motor is sufficient to get you down the road at a decent pace, but I think three-up would make things just a wee tad too lethargic.

But imagine if we could get all those people in their ridiculously oversized SUVs, riding alone, into Centurions. We'd have to turn some oil tankers around and send them back!

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #473 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post

Centurion is a two-seater. There's three of us carpooling. And I know your tee-ninetsie li'l motor is sufficient to get you down the road at a decent pace, but I think three-up would make things just a wee tad too lethargic.
Lol elhigh!
I get this comment alot.
This is a classic case of Centurion anxiety! It usually passes at some point - however - once Green Hornet starts posting on his Centurion project, an new outbreak of Centurion anxiety may surface!
-
There is a recent outbreak of this specific condition at this event:
http://grandprixfestival.com/SpecialeEntries2015.html
-

~CrazyJerry
Old 08-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #474 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Previously on Survivor:
-

-
And now the follow-up in this edition of Survivor:
-
7th Annual Brasher Falls Super Cruise-In! 8-26-2015
-
On a Wednesday evening from 4pm-8pm, Centurion is invited to this event by Town Supervisor Jim Dawson and what great event this was!
-
There were two live bands - free food - cars everywhere - and Centurion got mobbed for the entire 4 hours!
-
In one of the photos you'll see a plane on display (hovering a bit above the cars). The volunteers were first class and second to none expediting registrations, questions, etc!
-
The local folks were some of the friendliest to date and at least one lucky youngster got a few great shots behind the wheel of Centurion. This of course came with the caveat that math grade would improve - lol!!
-
Centurion was interviewed by reporter Bob Beckstead and the article is online:
-

-
CrazyJerry
-
P.S. From Colton to Brasher was only 24 miles and I used a bit over half a quart of fuel and passed two cars on the way there!

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 10:28 PM..
Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #475 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Quote:
Originally Posted by changzuki View Post
p.s. From colton to brasher was only 24 miles and i used a bit over half a quart of fuel and passed two cars on the way there!
ykyaemw...

Is the radiator lighter or does it just cool better?

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
elhigh (09-02-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #476 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
ykyaemw...

Is the radiator lighter or does it just cool better?
All said and done - the weight comparison is nearly a wash. Where the aluminum radiator is a bit lighter, I ended up using longer hoses (and more coolant). About the only weight savings came via the elimination of the "frame rail to frame rail" lower radiator mount for the Kubota. It weighed in at approx 4 pounds, but I've recently gained 4 pounds so even that isn't going anywhere!
-
~CrazyJerry
Old 08-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #477 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post

But imagine if we could get all those people in their ridiculously oversized SUVs, riding alone, into Centurions. We'd have to turn some oil tankers around and send them back!
If people need more than 2 seats for car pooling Centurion will not work. The vast majority of people only need a single seat the vast majority of the time believe it or not.

According to RQ Riley in his book Alternative Cars in the 21st Century A New Personal Transportation Paradigm 2nd Edition

Reference on page 44 Figure 2.1 Vehicle Capacity to Accommodate Trips:

Looking at this Pie chart 87.2% of all trips can be accommodated by a 2 seat vehicle. 7.4% require a third seat and the remaining require 5.4%.

If we go off of this chart Centurion turns out to be a very favorable design for the majority due to 2 seat seating. However you raise the point of Speed.

Now if you want a car with blazing acceleration than currently Centurion the way it is designed will not work. However with some tweaking Centurion could have incredible acceleration potential with the use of Superchargers, Turbochargers, and electric motors due to its size and aerodynamic potential.

How fast do people really need to go? I think this is best answered with speed limits and for me speeding tickets are to much money these days to risk going way over the speed limit. So the Centurion due to its top end speed will work great IMHO to prevent me from going to fast and getting a ticket.

Besides speed is what kills fuel economy acceleration is what you want to focus on and that is best answered with better low end torque! Improving this will make the car far more capable and fun to drive around town without sacrificing fuel economy!

GH
Old 08-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #478 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by changzuki View Post
All said and done - the weight comparison is nearly a wash. Where the aluminum radiator is a bit lighter, I ended up using longer hoses (and more coolant). About the only weight savings came via the elimination of the "frame rail to frame rail" lower radiator mount for the Kubota. It weighed in at approx 4 pounds, but I've recently gained 4 pounds so even that isn't going anywhere!
-
~CrazyJerry
I have that exact radiator sitting in the garage which I was going to use for a TDI project. They are great little half radiators and should serve you well for many years to come. Great selection CJ I love all of the upgrades you are doing.

GH
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHornet For This Useful Post:
changzuki (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #479 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

GreenHornet - funny you mentioned the figures (pie chart) in R.Q Riley's book. During the last couple months bombing around New York, I've been amazed at how many vehicles are only carrying one or possibly two people. Many of those vehicles are wedged into parking spaces that seem hardly big enough anymore..
-
Looking forward to updates on your Centurion build. Hope all is well!!!
-
~CrazyJerry
Old 09-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #480 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

20th Annual Colton Classic Car Show - Colton, NY
Saturday September 5th, 2015
-
Centurion has successfully made it to 12 car shows this summer - from Colton, NY and back using only the two-gallon tank.
-
This show adds yet another marque to the mpg tally although some might argue that this wasn't much of a challenge, but you can be the judge:
-

-
-
Some quick shots of the cars:
-

-

-

-
-
And one of Centurion:
-

-
-
In the afternoon there was an awards ceremony inside:
-

-
-
Centurion did receive a trophy at this show but the photo will have to wait.
-
There was a large crowd observing the show cars as they left, and the highly anticipated exit of Centurion could not disappoint.
-
In an attempt to jettison all excess weight from the car, the trophy was hurled up-n-over the roof and likely landed in the marsh across the road!
-
And Centurion did blast off! proper!
-
~CrazyJerry
-
https://www.facebook.com/ColtonClassicCarShow

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 10:28 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
urba centurion