Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2017, 09:13 PM   #641 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki
 
changzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern, NY
Posts: 498

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Thanks: 148
Thanked 402 Times in 215 Posts
The original Centurion has a pulse!
-
I think we can save her!
-
~CrazyJerry~
-


  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
Fingie (06-02-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 06-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #642 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki
 
changzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern, NY
Posts: 498

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Thanks: 148
Thanked 402 Times in 215 Posts
In spite of sitting outside for decades, the original Centurion's little Kubota 750bb diesel engine runs as good as a swiss watch!
-
~CrazyJerry~
-

  Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
elhigh (07-12-2017), MetroMPG (07-11-2017), MorphDaCivic (07-13-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #643 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
redneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SC Lowcountry
Posts: 920

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanks: 149
Thanked 811 Times in 330 Posts
.

Swiss watch...???

Isn't Kubota Japanese...???

How about, Seiko... ???



>
  Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
changzuki (06-12-2017), elhigh (07-12-2017), MetroMPG (07-11-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #644 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki
 
changzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern, NY
Posts: 498

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Thanks: 148
Thanked 402 Times in 215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
.

Swiss watch...???

Isn't Kubota Japanese...???

How about, Seiko... ???



>
Ok - you are correct! My "watch literacy" isn't very good.. Come to think of it, the only watch I have is a really old Vulcain Cricket! And... It might be of swiss origin.
-
~CrazyJerry~
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
UltArc (06-14-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 02:00 AM   #645 (permalink)
i should weld
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: A hilly area in Western Canada
Posts: 21
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ellenor2000
If I tried to replicate this over a compact 4x4 pickup frame, with a 1250cc turbo Diesel, a truly power-robbing transfer case (or maybe a locking centre diff, who knows) and a five on the floor manual, would I have the "offroad police interceptor" version of Centurion?

I know, it wouldn't be Centurion if it couldn't pull off 100mpg, but would it still earn "honorary Centurion" naming if it got more than 30km/l (74mi/USgal) in mixed driving on WVO with a DCN of something awful like the bare minimum 40?

And would it still be Centurion if it was designed to be relatively comfortable, even if mileage was >42km/L?

In any case, if I was trying to replicate it I'd probably call it the Umbrellix Speed Demon rather than the Centurion (Umbrellix being the name of my IRC network and website...).

At this point I'm just fantasising. Got more time than money and haven't gotten my N plate yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #646 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki
 
changzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern, NY
Posts: 498

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Thanks: 148
Thanked 402 Times in 215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenor2000 View Post
If I tried to replicate this over a compact 4x4 pickup frame, with a 1250cc turbo Diesel, a truly power-robbing transfer case (or maybe a locking centre diff, who knows) and a five on the floor manual, would I have the "offroad police interceptor" version of Centurion?

I know, it wouldn't be Centurion if it couldn't pull off 100mpg, but would it still earn "honorary Centurion" naming if it got more than 30km/l (74mi/USgal) in mixed driving on WVO with a DCN of something awful like the bare minimum 40?

And would it still be Centurion if it was designed to be relatively comfortable, even if mileage was >42km/L?

In any case, if I was trying to replicate it I'd probably call it the Umbrellix Speed Demon rather than the Centurion (Umbrellix being the name of my IRC network and website...).

At this point I'm just fantasising. Got more time than money and haven't gotten my N plate yet.
ellenor2000,
If you do your project, please do a thread on it!!
-
~CrazyJerry~
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #647 (permalink)
Batman Junior
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1000 Islands, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 19,700

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

ForkenSwift - '92 Geo Metro EV
Last 3: 95.68 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 50.45 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,146
Thanked 4,932 Times in 2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by changzuki View Post
In spite of sitting outside for decades, the original Centurion's little Kubota 750bb diesel engine runs as good as a swiss watch!
How much "winding" did it take to get it ticking again?
__________________
Latest mods test: 15 mods = 15% MPG improvement: A-B test, 2007 Honda Civic 1.8L, 5-speed
Ecodriving test:
Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown: Nissan Micra 1.6L



EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #648 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki
 
changzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern, NY
Posts: 498

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Thanks: 148
Thanked 402 Times in 215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
How much "winding" did it take to get it ticking again?
Well, it did take a bit of "winding" as you say. One of the more notable moments was exploring the cooling system. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts at draining the block, air pressure was used to blow it "up" (see video below)... It's been a delicate and interesting experience with the original Centurion!
-
~CrazyJerry~
-
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #649 (permalink)
Master Novice
 
elhigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SE USA - East Tennessee
Posts: 2,120

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.48 mpg (US)

Tiptoe - '03 Honda Civic Hybrid
Team Honda
90 day: 48.9 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 47.88 mpg (US)
Thanks: 355
Thanked 509 Times in 372 Posts
Oooohhhh....the goo coming out was orange...

That isn't Toyota coolant, is it? That was water when it went in, wasn't it?
__________________




Take it easy
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #650 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Stubby79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 758

Topoff (RIP) - '92 Geo Metro LSi
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)

'91 Miata - '91 Mazda Miata
90 day: 27.11 mpg (US)

'86 Fiero GT - '86 Pontiac Fiero GT

Purple Penny Pincher - '95 Pontiac Firefly Base
90 day: 43.68 mpg (US)

Jett-Black - '01 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 39.32 mpg (US)

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)
Thanks: 37
Thanked 228 Times in 167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Oooohhhh....the goo coming out was orange...

That isn't Toyota coolant, is it? That was water when it went in, wasn't it?
Probably rust, since it's an iron block and been sitting for years.

__________________

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
urba centurion

Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com