Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I'm not too terribly informed about cam profiles, but lower lift AND duration should (to a point) move peak torque lower in the RPM band, where almost everyone on this site drives, right?

Also, I'm willing to bet there isn't a better cam that could be made for my car. It seems Honda gave their engineers leave to go all-out for the first-gen Insight.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum!

Fixed it for ya...

The reason they almost always use lower LIFT with lower DURATION is due to Ramp Rates. High Ramp Rates equate to more lift with less duration, but more stress on the valvetrain components (guides, stems, rockers, lobes...)
The beauty of this here ECO-Modding Movement is that we can use some of these higher-stress arrangements to our advantage, because we run lower RPMs nearly all of the time!

As for your Honda Engineers, I'm willing to bet they were so "handcuffed" by EPA and cost constraints they felt fortunate to get the 50+ rating they got... I used to belong to an automotive engineering bbs in the engine forums, and the consensus amongst the engineers there was that the emissions BS was the biggest enemy to economy, and hence, created more pollution. Which is normally dealt with by catalytic converters.
I also read a statement by an auto-engineer that said they dump late-cycle fuel in just before the exhaust valve opens to, (and I quote) "Keep the cats up to optimum operating temperatures". End Quote. Meaning:
They waste fuel to keep the cats warm "just in case" they cool off and you get a happy right foot!

Thanks for the Welcome, Ecky!!!
Hope to see you around!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
3tech will give any cam an economy or "xfi" grind. Ive asked about my insight. Plan B was to give the vtec a wild grind, but I hear the gen 2 insight may have flat lobes on the vtec profile.

If you could manually control the VTEC, you could open/close up the LSA and have the best of both worlds... Economy AND MPG. David Vizard did a DOHC engine once, and with stock cams had a multiple personality 4 cylinder

Reply  Post New Thread