Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
On the turning off of individual cylinders, I wouldn't recommend it without a bit more thought.

On a fuel injection engine, the o2 sensor is designed to tell the ECUr if the engine is running lean. By cutting fuel to some of the cylinders, you are introducing a ton of o2. When that happens, the ECU decides it is running too lean and dumps gas into the cylinders. So much gas goes in that the cylinders walls can get washed, and gas goes into the oil. Why do I know this? I had a setup on my Explorer to shut off half the cylinders. Nice thing about it was it shut off one side of the engine and it was still balanced; ie no vibration. But my oil level slowly rose unexplicably until I figured out it was the excess gas. ( Funny thing was we were able to increase gas mileage 25% using this method.)

Long story short, the engine ended up slowly dying on us and finally quit altogether. I'm planning on trying this again, but instead I'll split the intake and exhaust in 2, or figure out a way to halve the signals coming from the MAP sensor and O2 sensor so that the computer doesn't detect a lean condition.

Anyone here know how to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

SLOLANE - '08 Chevy (Daewoo) Aveo5 SV
90 day: 30.55 mpg (US)
any update on this?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3159589

shutup, im working on it
Old 08-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Red Egg - '95 Ford Aspire
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

Dodge SRT-4 - '04 Dodge Neon SRT-4 2.4L Turbo
90 day: 26.24 mpg (US)
@shadetree one idea to fool a computer with a V6 or V8 engine would to relocate the o2 sensor(s) into a stream that isnt being "tampered" with. This would involve pretty much designing a long tube header system for the explorer and letting the sensor sniff cylinders that are still operating in a range it likes. A really nice exhaust system would probably get you some gains just by that on the highway. The cheap way would to weld another o2 bung on just one side and run a longer oem sensor so they are both reading the same bank. However on paper it has its merits and downfalls. If you want to shut off cylinders when you want I think it would be a good idea to "rotate" them so there is no washing down and extra wear, so that kinda taxes the o2 moving idea too.

Tags
engine kill switch