Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Please help me keep my job.

I work with kids in their home. A dozen times in sixteen months parents have contacted our office or their support coordinator and said "I do not like Xist, I want a new provider\agency." The only time a parent told me about concerns the next session he told me "I liked how you did--" and then when I left he got rid of me.
Twelve times parents decided they wanted someone else, maybe my employer will, too.
Obviously, I should have regularly asked parents how they felt about how I was doing and their children's progress. I will make sure I do that now, but there is only so much I can do on my own.
Thank you very much for your help! I hope you have an outstanding day!

Last edited by Xist; 02-26-2017 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Removed whining
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-16-2017, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Personally, I wouldn't say anything negative. I'd just ask for concrete, actionable tips on how to improve.
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
MobilOne (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I thought you had military experience — now it sounds like you work in a mine field.

The last job I worked at that paid decent money, I was let go on the last day of a fiscal quarter, the accountant turned around and said 'goodbye' as she left earlier in the day (I thought it odd at the time), and all I was told was "there had been complaints inside and outside the company". This was the first and only review of my performance over just short of a year.

I signed a waiver and was out the door in ten minutes; didn't even turn off my computer. But I waited two weeks to file for unemployment to stick them for the extra money.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people. It's just business, it has nothing to do with morality.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Doug

I enjoy my job and love watching kids progress. I respect my boss and feel the office staff do great work, I just do not feel my supervisor provides as much feedback as I personally need.

I sure hope I will be less needy once I have more experience.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
It's not a male working with kid thing is it. Did your supervisor give you the reasons they were given, don't expect the parents to tell you the truth. What is the turnover for others it may be nothing to worry about.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Do you work with the same patients/clients over and over? Or is it a one shot deal?

I can coach you so that you get virtually all rave reviews. It's all about expectations and meeting and exceeding those expectations.

Once the rave reviews start coming in, it won't matter what your immediate supervisor thinks.

We could do this publicly or privately, although the information is useful for everybody that works with the public as part or all of their job.

Let me know how you want to proceed and we'll play 20 questions.

want to build 150 mpg diesel streamliner.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I can coach you so that you get virtually all rave reviews. It's all about expectations and meeting and exceeding those expectations.
I've been listening to Xist's travails for years, ex-girlfriends and car payments mostly — setting expectations?

Quote:
We could do this publicly or privately, although the information is useful for everybody that works with the public as part or all of their job.
I did antivirus software phone support for 14 years, I'd like to observe. mainly to find out about the repeat vs onesies part.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
It's not a male working with kid thing is it. Did your supervisor give you the reasons they were given, don't expect the parents to tell you the truth. What is the turnover for others it may be nothing to worry about.
The parents sit in on all sessions, although a couple said they wanted a female therapist.

I honestly do not really know my coworkers. Since we work in clients' homes we never see each other. I attended a Christmas party, but even with my last client canceling, I was still an hour late, and I did not feel I could stay very long.

We have since had a class, but I did not have an opportunity to interact with each other during the class, and another supervisor had a number of questions for me as soon as it ended.

I do not have any idea how much turnover other therapists have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Do you work with the same patients/clients over and over? Or is it a one shot deal?

Once the rave reviews start coming in, it won't matter what your immediate supervisor thinks.

Let me know how you want to proceed and we'll play 20 questions.
I would greatly appreciate it. I have worked as a speech therapy assistant for a bit over a year while I try to get into grad school. I wish I knew why parents look for a replacement instead of saying "Hey Xist, I do not want you doing X anymore, do Y."
I have had a few cancel after one appointment, but it is supposed to be ongoing. I still see my two very first clients after sixteen months. I will mention grad school again, once I get to that level I will be far better qualified.

Hopefully things are momentarily stable; it seems like the office staff, my supervisor, and I are on the same page, although I would always appreciate help keeping the clients and parents happy.

Thank each of you for your responses! I hope you have a great day!
Old 03-09-2017, 03:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Not Doug

Work is okay. People always tell me to keep all of my receipts. I try explaining that a 15% deduction on something I did not need means I wasted 85% of my money, but somehow I forgot that when it came to mileage. All of my miles, student loan interest, and a great number of other deductions save me $122.50 compared to the standard deduction.
After doing absolutely everything I felt was reasonable to work with my supervisor I asked my boss to reassign me and he agreed. Now I just need to at least double my caseload.

Reply  Post New Thread