Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hawk, are you still around?

I just bought a '98 Honda Civic DX. How did you attach your air dam to the bumper? I see there are slots in the plastic of the bumper guard every 12 inches or so, these must be for attaching the air dam, correct?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #32 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog F150 View Post
hawk, are you still around?

I just bought a '98 Honda Civic DX. How did you attach your air dam to the bumper? I see there are slots in the plastic of the bumper guard every 12 inches or so, these must be for attaching the air dam, correct?
He hasn't posted in seven months. I have a 98 DX. Unless you are installing an OEM chin spoiler, there are two ways to go: lawn edging can be bolted onto the front bottom of the bumper cover (drilling your own holes), but I did it by drilling my own holes into the bottom of the cover, closer to the wheels. I prefer that because it minimizes scraping since the airdam is closer to the wheels, and I can use the factory created arch in the lawn edging, avoiding the rippling effect some guys get when they force the edging to take the arch their bumper covers have. My avatar is a picture of the first version I did.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks, California. I'm not quite following how you did yours, and I can't expand your picture.

The picture attached is of the bottom of my bumper cover. I'm planning on just slipping a bolt with a washer in the holes, and attaching the lawn edging to it with a 90 degree steel bracket, like doax did with his. I also might try slipping a conduit through the lawn edging for added strength. Might take some work, but it sounds good in my brain right now..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	summer 2015 030.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	18234  
Old 07-07-2015, 11:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
That sounds workable too. Keep two things in mind as well: you might want easy access to the front tow hook in the event of a breakdown and two the airdam will scrape, so make it easy for the edging to bend when it hits. Otherwise it will rip.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread