EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Volt may be dropped by GM (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/volt-may-dropped-gm-35406.html)

oil pan 4 07-24-2017 09:24 AM

Volt may be dropped by GM

Was watching HLN this morning and they were saying the volt and sonic may be dropped in favor of building more SUVs and pickups.

Stubby79 07-24-2017 10:59 AM

:rolleyes: if it turns out to be true. (just another reason for me to buy Japanese cars)

redpoint5 07-24-2017 12:04 PM

The story I read says it's among 6 sedans being considered for discontinuation. Even if they axe the Volt, it will be produced through 2022. The reasoning is that sedans are not popular now that gasoline is so cheap. Consumers are rushing to buy crossovers, SUVs, and trucks.

By the time they made the switch in production, which takes 4 years, gasoline prices will have likely shot back up. Seems the auto industry is always half a decade behind.

If Chevy cuts the Volt, I bet they would replace it with a similar crossover.

Here's the article.

ksa8907 07-24-2017 12:17 PM

A PHEV Equinox?

I do laugh a little at all the pickup trucks that people "tune" and put huge tires on with a lift. Just waiting for gas to hit $4/gal again... Even though i don't get very good mileage either.

rmay635703 07-24-2017 01:28 PM

After 10 years of volt hoax comments and hate

What do we expect, their making it into another minivan

vskid3 07-24-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 545785)

If only. At least minivans have sliding rear doors that kids can't open into other cars.

Can Chevy not make a PHEV car and a PHEV crossover? Maybe give the Volt some advertising so that people who aren't efficiency-nuts know that they exist?

jray3 07-24-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 545785)
After 10 years of volt hoax comments and hate

I don't follow. Many have begged for the Voltec drivetrain in a minivan, or at least a FWD "crossover" instead of a designed-for inefficiency SUV. If GM were to do this I'd give them due props.

Can't blame the automakers too much for following their customers. The sheeple want instant gratification, which leads to churn and transaction profits and more new car sales over time. Folks like the few here who buy and hold a car for hundreds of thousands of miles are not very desirable customers.

Dealers and automakers want folks who keep coming back for punishment. My dear old dad just experienced a critical engine failure on a dealer-maintained diesel Jeep with just under 60,000 miles on the clock. Since this happened just within the warranty period, he got a warranty fix, full blue book value on the trade, and felt good about buying brand new Dodge truck..... :eek:

S Keith 07-24-2017 08:35 PM

There is something wrong with me. Even if gas was $0.50/gallon, I'd still be driving my hybrids... :)

redpoint5 07-24-2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 545795)
There is something wrong with me. Even if gas was $0.50/gallon, I'd still be driving my hybrids... :)

Yeah, you aren't infected with the "spend it 'till it's gone" disease that most other Americans have. Heck, most Americans even spend the money they don't have.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-25-2017 12:10 AM

Maybe the Volt didn't get that "halo" image that Toyota was able to manage for the Prius, so it would not really surprise me if GM eventually moves to fit its Voltec drivetrain into something with a more mainstream design, such as an eventual PHEV version for the Cruze. Unless they're planning something else, like a range-extender for the Bolt.