Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

CBF - '12 Honda CBF 125

Audi A2 - '02 Audi A2 1.2tdi
You are right!
Not only i will not recover the money but also i will loose money when i sell it and i will have to ride an uglier car...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Hey! I resemble that comment.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 03-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Congrats for the lupo 3L

I searched a lupo 3L or a A2 3L but they are rare and the ones I found were more expensive. Since I decided to go for a second hand Prius (because it has been conceived to emit very few pollutants) when the bank account will permit.

You can decide to put money to ecomod it not because it will pay back, but because you are saving money compared to the previous car. I "heavily" aero-modded (not as much as basjoos of course) my car but I consider the aero-mods only contribute to 20% of my saving, vs 80% for my driving, so my aero-mods doesn't deserve the time I spent on them.

Now the aero-mods on my car, and the fact my car is ugly, permit to people to wonder about their own consumption and if 10% of these people save 10% of their fuel then they will save more than if I can save myself, even by stopping all energy consumption.

Now several aero-mods have been done to have fun, while building them and while driving. I do love when a mod change the behavior of the car and I have to change the way I'm driving, per example the rear wheel skirts and pumping up the tires at max-sidewall. The car is now much more fun to drive

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
Mind you, you could always do some internal mods like hotter thermostats, block heaters, lighter oils etc. Some underside mods like belly pans could be done while retaining a standard look. Have you started a fuel log here? Make sure you do it!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franmcm View Post
The lupo and the Fox are two different models. The fox is a little bigger and was bild specially to be cheap. The lupo was bild to be small but is more refined and more expensive.
I dont believe lupo 3l would have sold a lot in USA. In europe the lupo 3l didnt sell that much. For the same price of the lupo 1.2tdi you could buy the 1.4tdi and this one had aircondition, assisted direction, bigger tyres(ususally people relate to bigger security), faster, easier, less expensive to mantain, with electric windows, with better seats.... All that made people buy the 1.4tdi instead of the 1.2tdi. And in Europe we tend to have and appreciate more the efficient cars. In SUV country where bigger is better with low gasoline prices and some allergy to diesel cars (although the lupo is fitted standart to use biodiesel, i just found this reading the instruction manual)... the small and hyper efficient lupo would in my opinion have been a disaster.

I dont think it would have been hard to meet the safety tests, the lupo meets them all here in europe and for the polution dont think it would have benn hard (the lupo has 81g/100Km) but with low selling future maybe it would not worth the costs involved on it, i can easy understant VW reasons.

If you read the article it does not meet North America standards for Safety and America does not have an allergy to diesel they do not meet emissions standards even with the great mileage they get in many cases. There is a large demand for efficient cars motorcycle and scooter sales are skyrocketing but still with the ever increasing standards for safety the cost is too high for companies to make any real profit off of a cheap car.

Large vehicles with all the add on equipment is where they make all of their profits. If you ever compare profit markups on new vehicles a truck will have 3000-4000 dollar profit in it where a compact car will have a 500 to 1000 profit margin for the dealer.

You see many people including myself here trying to find a way to have a multipurpose vehicle get better efficiency because I don't want to buy another dedicated car just for better gas mileage an eco box such as the lupo is great in theory and I wish those 80mpg could meet safety standards and pass emissions hopefully enough people will continue to show a demand to the auto companies that the public wants more efficient cars that burn clean and are safe that they start to make them.
1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*

Old 03-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

CBF - '12 Honda CBF 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRABill View Post
If you read the article it does not meet North America standards for Safety and America does not have an allergy to diesel they do not meet emissions standards even with the great mileage they get in many cases. There is a large demand for efficient cars motorcycle and scooter sales are skyrocketing but still with the ever increasing standards for safety the cost is too high for companies to make any real profit off of a cheap car.

Large vehicles with all the add on equipment is where they make all of their profits. If you ever compare profit markups on new vehicles a truck will have 3000-4000 dollar profit in it where a compact car will have a 500 to 1000 profit margin for the dealer.

You see many people including myself here trying to find a way to have a multipurpose vehicle get better efficiency because I don't want to buy another dedicated car just for better gas mileage an eco box such as the lupo is great in theory and I wish those 80mpg could meet safety standards and pass emissions hopefully enough people will continue to show a demand to the auto companies that the public wants more efficient cars that burn clean and are safe that they start to make them.

The article says clearly that vw didnt try to sell in USA,

" But VW has no plans to sell the Lupo in the United States. The company believes there is no market for fuel-efficient cars in our SUV-populated country."

It is different from trying to sell and failing the pollution or crash tests.

Its very hard to believe the lupo adapted from factory to biodiesel with 81g/co2 with the best figures for pollution in diesel cars (even today) one of the first cars equiped with start-stop system would not have passed the emissions test in 2000.
The security test... i think vw would have manage it if they see the market lupo already have ABS, AIRBAGS, traction control...

I do understand that lots of people are modificationg their cars in order to get better fuel economy and i admire the efford and results.

I just dont think it will be worth(meaning the costs, energy and time will not be compensated by the savings) to make such changes to my lupo as VW already took the time and efford to do it with ecodriving in mind. (if i can save 10% it means 0,3lts/100km in 10.000Km i would have saved...40€?!) They made lots and lots of changes and the present results on a completly standart car speak for themselves.

Justifying the ECObox for me was easy:
- I don't need a big car or engine (I need a car confortable, safe... that can reach 140Km/h)
- 95% of the time 4 seats is enough for me for the outher 5% i use my wife car.
- The fuel savings will pay for the car.
- I wouldn't mind paying more for the extra pleasure i get from such a car.
- The pollution savings will benefit the enviroment.
- The "Eco style" (meaning that if people look at me as an unsucesseful person in a small ) i couldn't care less!

I agree that specially USA people must pressure their car manufacturers to produce more efficient cars. USA is full of big heavy cars with big engines that seem to be a waste specially with so strict rules regarding speed.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

CBF - '12 Honda CBF 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
Mind you, you could always do some internal mods like hotter thermostats, block heaters, lighter oils etc. Some underside mods like belly pans could be done while retaining a standard look. Have you started a fuel log here? Make sure you do it!

Hotter termostats - VW did it
Block heaters - VW did it
Lighter oils - VW did it
belly pans- VW did it

If you have the time take a look at this article abaut the lupo.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_218.pdf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franmcm For This Useful Post:
SoobieOut (04-02-2011), vtec-e (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
What Vw didint do:
DRL lights
Ksenon lights?

What is your cars color?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 03-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

CBF - '12 Honda CBF 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekke View Post
What Vw didint do:
DRL lights
Ksenon lights?

What is your cars color?
In the days lupo was made there was no such things (generally used in these type of cars)

My car is sky blue, not the colours i would choose but not that bad also...

Volkswagen Lupo 3L TDI wallpaper # 07 of 14, Front Angle, MY 1999, 800x600
Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franmcm View Post
Hotter termostats - VW did it
Block heaters - VW did it
Lighter oils - VW did it
belly pans- VW did it

If you have the time take a look at this article abaut the lupo.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_218.pdf
Great stuff! Might you be able to post pics of some aero details on your lupo? We love aero details......