Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 01:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Unheard
Very good info. Personally I was just surprised that the US DOT has all these crash tests on file for cars never sold in America. Technically speaking, they are half way to being federalised.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unheard View Post

Now i must get some sleep LOL

Oh one last thing the Lupo 3L was more of a concept that made it to production. I think it was an exercise to show what they could do and to win world records. VW now sell cars labeled Bluemotion they are the FE range with the bloodline from the 3l all have the defining grill block.
oustanding information, I appreciate the time you spent putting that together. Cool comercial, too, but then VW has always hired some creative marketing firms (the old 60's VW ads were trendsetting and phenoninal)

I wish a couple things... I wish I could get ahold of a Lupo 3L, wish they were common here in the states so I could get parts. So long as I'm wishing, a glovebox would be nice

Again, nice information.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi there,

I lived in Germany from 1998 until 2004. We purchased a new Lupo 3L in the 2000 and loved it! At the time we were living in Lübeck because my fiancee was in school there, but my job was in Berlin (I played trumpet in the Pit Orchestra for the Disney Musical "Der Glöckner von Notre Dame"). Rather than renting a second apartment, we decided we'd spend the money on the Lupo so I could afford to commute the 300 km (about 200 miles) each way to work 5 or 6 days a week.

The Lupo was GREAT!!!!!!!

In eco mode it truly could get by on 3l/100km (about 79mpg), as long as you kept the speed at 100 km or lower on the Autobahn. But even at a steady 120 km (75 mph) cruising speed, it used only around 3.8 l/100km (still over 60 mpg). And if you wanted to move, it could reach 180 kmh on level ground (about 110 mph). One time while traveling downhill on the Autobahn I managed to break 200 km/h (125 mph). I passed a guy in a big Jaguar sedan - you should have seen the look on his face!!!

When we moved to the States in 2004 I checked into importing the Lupo 3L and also our BMW Turbo Diesel Kombi (Station Wagon). I was told it would be nearly impossible since both these cars had never been officially brought into the States so there were no emmissions or crash tests available. Especially now, with gas prices at over $4 per gallon, I am SO regretful I didn't find a way to bring the Lupo here. Hybrids are an absolute JOKE. I remember reading about the "wonder" of the new Hybrids that got up to 50 mpg - what a joke! I already owned a vehicle that got 80 mpg.

Best wishes,

John
Old 10-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Interesting to read more Lupo experience. Makes the North American Metro (& clones) look like fuel hogs.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-20-2008, 01:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ooo this is very good news! this is one of my favorite cars out there. wonder what it would take to import one with this out of the way?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Will it need the urea injection?
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 12-13-2008, 05:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
We're looking at emissions in g/mile, so even if it has the same emissions per hphr the newer TDI engines have, if it can get enough miles to a gallon of diesel under it's belt it may not need urea.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Interested Newbie

Silver Citroen Saxo - '02 Citroen Saxo 1.4i Furio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unheard View Post
The only other small car i have driven that feels as tight and strong is the Ford KA (pronounced car) and i hate to say it has better roadholding due to a stiffer body, I really didnt want to like the ford but i did so that says allot for the actual drive of the car i still dont like the look though.
I don't like the look of it either, too girly, also my dad is a mechanic and he says when he does services on KA's they are all rusting away underneath.

I don't really remember seeing many of the cars, one women in the building had a lime green one a while back, looked nasty, don't really see them around like you do with other VW's like the polo and golf.
I suppose the difference is that the american guys on here lament about what a waste it is because small diesel cars aren't all that common but elsewhere in the world they are pretty common and easy to pick up so the car wasn't competitive in those markets.

I suppose the newest equivilent VW make now is the Polo Bluemotion that gets 75MPG.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
I would love to have a VW, loved them since childhood. I was probably made in one for all I know.

At 78mpg I would pay the extra for it. Would kill a hybird and come in for less money too. Kinda strange transmission it has though, but cool at same time.
I still remember the first time I saw a VW beetle. My Mom was driving and she said, "I hear those things get THIRTY MILES PER GALLON!"
Old 07-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
Agree with all above:

the lupo was a great lil car - but most were put off by the intial cost and lack of boot - those who bought them loved'em and like the A2 they are retaining there value relatively well

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Reply  Post New Thread