Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

VX into CX swap, please help...

Well it's been a year and half, 3 "Honda experts", and tons of internet research, and the engine light still goes on in around 40 seconds and it goes on to default gas guzzling! I've got the PO7 ECU, EGR valve, original VX exhaust manifold with cat. and a sensor coming out of the right side of the heat shield below the cat. that has a braided wire coming out into a plastic, one round plug, connector (this is not hooked up as I was told this was just Japan specific sensor), a brand new 5 wire sensor, I do not have the correct plugs because it isn't going into lean burn anyway and they cost 4 times the price. I do not have the purge solenoid that connects to the EGR valve and is mounted in the middle of the firewall (is this part crucial?). Please if any of you know about the extra exhaust sensor and purge solenoid tell me where they should be hooked up in the ECU, thanks. The engine and all the VX parts were bought from Japanese Domestic Product, (JDM), places in Toronto, Canada.

Lusting for Lean-burn!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
What code comes up? The sensor below the cat is to monitor the cat. The obd1 p07 does not have that function so that sensor isn't used. Yes you need the solenoid to activate the egr valve. The lean burn cars are very picky. It needs to have all the systems working properly for lean burn. If the engine light comes on it will be in limp mode and return mpg is the low 40s at best. The wrong plugs don't help also
Old 04-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Team Honda
I recommend doing the plugs. I can get you the pin numbers for the egr wires but you might have other wires that aren't hooked up too. Get me the codes from the check engine light
Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
I recommend doing the plugs. I can get you the pin numbers for the egr wires but you might have other wires that aren't hooked up too. Get me the codes from the check engine light
It's code 48. You're right about the mpg, it's worth than with my old 16 valve motor.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Team Honda
thats an o2 sensor code. you have to make sure everything is wired right. with a swap like that you have to basically make a custom harness for this new engine. it will not be plug and play. the cx did not have vtec, the vx engine has vtec etc. the egr solenoid has to be wired in. there are, i believe, 12 wires total i had to add to my stock lx harness to get the d15z1 working.

anyways to get you started the egr solenoid has 2 wires. one is black/yellow stripe and gets an ignition key on power. i grabbed mine under the hood at a power junction on the driver side shock tower connector. it has all black/ yellow wires feeding various sensors. the other wire goes to pin A11 on the ecu. thats it.

the o2 sensor is more involved. id do the simple stuff first like plugs and the egr solenoid. some more info would be nice like if you did any wiring at all on the car yet? or if the engine was just dropped and plugged in to the stock harness. couple of bonuses you have is the cx already has the low geared transmission and the shift light should already be wired up correctly. help us help you!!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Team Honda
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5z1-23433.html

heres a link to my project i did. im still driving it. put about 12500 miles on the swap with only minor issues not even really pertaining to the swap just basic stuff.

Reply  Post New Thread