Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

my WAI in a 'rolla

I've got a 06 Corolla with an AT and fashioned a WAI that is just a a 3" flexi-pipe run back by the exhaust manifold, then attached to a sheet metal shroud to draw pre-warmed air from that area. It works, but I only get a boost of about 15 degrees above ambient during my 35 mile one-way commute at freeway speeds.

Misc points:
  • AFA hooking it up to the present snorkel arrangement, I removed the final elbow and just have the flexi-pipe stuck over that.
  • In town it works OK, I get a boost of about 40 degrees. I'm thinking one problem with the present set up is the length of hose from the exhaust manifold to the Air box; probably a five foot distance. With ambient temps in the single digits, I wonder if this is preventing the temps I'd like.
  • Thought about trying a WAI intake directly from the radiator. Possibly by taking the plastic shroud off the radiator, then removing some of the plastic to accommodate a shroud/hose, and putting it back on.
  • I like the idea of the put-a-hole-in-the-bottom-of-the-air-box. I will probably give that a shot this summer (too cold now!)
  • Current mileage is about 35/36 in the winter, 42 in the summer. Tires are at 42 psi, I have a partial grill block, and guessing a 80/20 split on highway/city driving. Radiator block gets my water temps up to about 195 degrees vs the "normal" 181.
  • Temps monitored via a Scanguage, not sure how accurate that is....

That's about it for me, good luck to all!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
fuel conserver

Civic - '99 Honda Civic EX
I just picked up this 2000 Corolla LE 4spd Auto for a commuter. My goal is achieving 45-50mpg so I began searching for some mods to get me there, and found this thread.

I think in 2000 the Corolla/Prizm switched to MAF sensor and Coil on plug from Map senor & distributor. I began getting baseline info on the intake temperature and modding to a WAI. I believe that by moderately warming intake air, I will be able to achieve close to summertime FE in Buffalo's Winter temps. HOT air will likely not help this car. I have read the ECU starts retarding timing at high temps.

Here is my temp probe setup. $26 Digi thermo from McMaster.com. Probe needle was .150", drilled clean .125" hole and pushed it in.

I tested the stock intake plumbing 1st and then removing the stock plumbing up to the air filter box, both had the same temperature result, 7degF over ambient outside temp over a couple days of observing between 60-75F. Removing the plumbing added a little noise and a little throttle response/power.

After initial testing, I modded my airbox to a WAI, pulling air off the firewall

The results from the WAI arrangement shown were a boost to 17degF over ambient, seen here cruising at 65mph

I still have no info as yet on FE improvement or degredation, but stayed tuned...

'22 Tundra TRD OR
'04 RX330
'05 Tacoma 4x4

Last edited by E.Roy; 10-01-2013 at 10:43 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread