Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2017, 05:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Saturn - '01 Saturn SC1
90 day: 42.33 mpg (US)
Coasting struggles

2001 Saturn sc1 keeps on rolling. I am having troubles judging my distances to get under 20km/h when rolling up to stops that I know are coming up. Most of my drive to work is rural with light traffic and rolling slightly hilly terrain, so i dont really have other drivers affecting me. Is this just going to be an aquired skill that i need to practise? Frustrating to be consistently turning fuel into brake dust.. any tips / advice are appreciated.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-29-2017, 05:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
When you drive the same commute every day, as I do, I found it just a matter of trying to approach at the same initial speed then lifting off a bit earlier each day until you get it right. No point in approaching at 50 mph today and 60 mph tomorrow, and hoping that lifting off at the same spot will get you to the hazard at the same speed. I don't mind if I find I slow down a bit too much. Just means I have to get on the gas a bit earlier, to clear the hazard. Better that than having to brake.
Don't be afraid to use a low gear to slow you down. This brings in DFCO, which is even better than coasting for fuel efficiency.
I don't mind braking as long as I am below 20 mph. 20 km/h is a bit low for me. But if traffic allows, the slower the better.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Saturn - '01 Saturn SC1
Makes sense. I'll modify what I'm doing and try less clutch in coasting more dfco. That alone will help for a couple of my turns and intersections. Will have some realtime instrumentation shortly so that will help me figure stuff out a bit.. Thanks for the input
Old 09-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Welcome to the fun!

Yep, everything's situational: with this car, I want to approach that light by cresting this small rise at this many mph. And then traffic, weather and lighting conditions screw everything up for you.

It'll be a whole different world once you get instrumentation. The only change I'd recommend is skipping the "clutch in" and simply using neutral as another gear. You'll be better able to focus on actual driving when your foot position isn't so critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
gpfaster (09-30-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
I stick the car in neutral rather than clutch in. My wife, a non driver, thinks the car has a 15 speed gearbox!

The Following User Says Thank You to JockoT For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpfaster View Post
Most of my drive to work is rural with light traffic and rolling slightly hilly terrain, so i dont really have other drivers affecting me.
Well, aren't you lucky!

That pretty much sums up my usual driving environment as well.

Quote:
Is this just going to be an aquired skill that i need to practise? Frustrating to be consistently turning fuel into brake dust.. any tips / advice are appreciated.
The others are right: it just comes with time. You might even make mental notes of landmarks where you begin coasting before certain stops, and fine-tuning it each day.

After a while, when you get it dialled in, you'll become sensitive to external effects that change your coasting distance, eg: as colder weather approaches, your rolling resistance will start to go up. Or on wet roads or windy days you'll notice a difference as well.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
gpfaster (09-30-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
After a while, when you get it dialled in, you'll become sensitive to external effects that change your coasting distance, eg: as colder weather approaches, your rolling resistance will start to go up. Or on wet roads or windy days you'll notice a difference as well.
I'll second that. I find that if I come up short on the first coast they will probably all be like that that day. So you can adjust accordingly. Knowing when to coast and when to DFCO is quickly learned, and as MetroMPG says, use landmarks (changes to the road surface, signs, lamp posts, garden gates).

Old 09-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
It's funny how sensitive you become to the wind and even the slightest amount of water on the road. I started guessing wind direction and speed on my trips to and from work. Turns out I'm pretty accurate on both now.

Anyways land marking will be the best way to get things locked down. Soon you won't even pay attention to the land marks anymore. You will start to notice what kind of grade you are on by your acceleration or deceleration and it will translate into your driving everywhere. Drives my wife nuts coasting into stop signs and lights. Using DFCO really gets her going when I'm timing a light. Rather than aggressive braking to time it I always hit up the engine braking. Little stink eye when I do that but hey it's the essence of ecomomodding.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14'ecocruze View Post
Drives my wife nuts coasting into stop signs and lights.
My wife is the same. This morning, for the first time, she said to me, "why are you crawling along". I pointed out to her that the lights ahead were at red, there was no one behind me, and with DFCO I was showing 9,999 mpg on my ScanGauge.
She promptly shut up!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JockoT For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (10-01-2017), gpfaster (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Saturn - '01 Saturn SC1
Got the torque app up and running. No apparent effects of dfco with this car. Bit of googling and it appears that it'll only initialize in some very specific circumstances, none of which I'm encountering. Rev count over 2500 is one of them which is above the peak of the torque curve of this engine I never see it lol.. I had already planned to wire in a injector off switch so that will take care of that anyways.. Also apparent is the fact that I thought I was a smooth steady driver until some instrumentation told me otherwise.. Need to cut back the caffeine a bit

Reply  Post New Thread