Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Non CAFO raised meat is better by far....but I'd guess that too much meat is still unhealthy.

Chicken Dioxins, Viruses, or Antibiotics? | NutritionFacts.org

WHY to avoid poultry?

EPIC Findings on Lymphoma | NutritionFacts.org

I've stopped eating chicken and turkey. Even farm raised chickens likely get fed GMO corn?

Veggies vs omnivores....

Vegetarians Versus Healthy Omnivores | NutritionFacts.org

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Ever since I can remember, as a young kid, there have been dire health warnings about this & that. The one about smoking is true, for sure, but all the rest - I dunno.

My parents are health nuts and have followed all these healthy eating plans since I can remember. My dad's 89 and looks and acts like any other 89 year-old. Yet, somehow, even with all these horrible poisonous foods "big business" is shoving down our throats (no pun intended), while government "looks the other way", life expectancey continues to rise, year afer year, decade after decade.

I was going to suggest a lot of this stuff might be "unicorn corral" material, but I guess it's more the opposite - - - "little boy who cried wolf" corral, or something....

Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
All that "don't eat this/don't eat that" deal would drive me crazy if I cared about it. I won't get rid of meat (including white meats from poultry and fish) just because a tree-hugger told me to do so.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

In this world..."you makes yer choices and you takes yer chances"?

I've eaten rather poorly at times in my life....mostly rice and canned soups or similar....other times mostly hamburgers.

Since I have gone about working to improve my diet I noticed that though people won't really admit it....most people are SERIOUSLY hung up on the foods they eat...REAL close to politics and religion in prejudicial value?

To find this out...you should suggest that they change.....

I don't expect myself to eat perfectly...I just expect to try and move in the right direction....

I notice that when I eat mostly salads and soups with lots of vegs...I feel better....just keep me away from pumpkin pies, corn chips, and ice cream though....and my mother's banana bread.

This thread was just something I'm interested in...DO AS YOU WILL.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Ever since I can remember, as a young kid, there have been dire health warnings about this & that. The one about smoking is true, for sure, but all the rest - I dunno.

My parents are health nuts and have followed all these healthy eating plans since I can remember. My dad's 89 and looks and acts like any other 89 year-old. Yet, somehow, even with all these horrible poisonous foods "big business" is shoving down our throats (no pun intended), while government "looks the other way", life expectancey continues to rise, year afer year, decade after decade.

I was going to suggest a lot of this stuff might be "unicorn corral" material, but I guess it's more the opposite - - - "little boy who cried wolf" corral, or something....
Life expectancy may be rising thanks to the drug companies oops... I mean thanks FROM the drug companies. With the way a lot of people eat, All they are is walking paycheck to the drug makers for the last half of their lives. Longer life is not my goal in trying to eat healthful, just better quality of life for longer. Senior suicide is on the rise with life expectancy... people may be living longer but many are wishing they weren't.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
In this world..."you makes yer choices and you takes yer chances"?

I've eaten rather poorly at times in my life....mostly rice and canned soups or similar....other times mostly hamburgers.

Since I have gone about working to improve my diet I noticed that though people won't really admit it....most people are SERIOUSLY hung up on the foods they eat...REAL close to politics and religion in prejudicial value?

To find this out...you should suggest that they change.....

I don't expect myself to eat perfectly...I just expect to try and move in the right direction....

I notice that when I eat mostly salads and soups with lots of vegs...I feel better....just keep me away from pumpkin pies, corn chips, and ice cream though....and my mother's banana bread.

This thread was just something I'm interested in...DO AS YOU WILL.
couldn't agree more! Most people are much more willing to listen to religion and political rants then hearing that what they are eating is not good for them... it really takes feeling the difference in your own mind and body to realize. The only thing I have found will offend quicker is talking about circumcision

Old 01-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

Related to the food issue is the idea in the US of raising the eligibility age for SS and Medicare. Some keep talking about people living longer and lots of bullpucky as to how 65 is the new 50 or whatever.

Seems they keep forgetting about the increasing obesity...diabetes...blood pressure...etc rates in the US. In my immediate experience...a lot of boomers will be lucky to make 70...let alone early 80s.

The downlow on SS and Medicare?

The Great Social Security Robbery

The leaders of both major parties, Congress, the White House, the editorial writers, journalists of all the principle newspapers and most academic economists claim that Social Security and Medicare need to be ‘reformed’ in order to reduce the “unsustainable” fiscal deficit and avoid the bankruptcy of these social programs. An important aspect of this elite propaganda campaign is the perverse manipulation of the nature of those two programs. They are dubbed “entitlement programs”, implying some sort of government handout or individual privilege. In fact social security is a form of social insurance paid for through payroll tax deductions throughout the working life of the contributors, which usually approximates a half-century.

The “entitlement” rhetoric claims that the lifetime contributions are insufficient and that several regressive ‘reforms’ are necessary to “save the systems” – at the expense of the beneficiaries. The so-called “Grand Compromise” proposed by President Obama and the “Fiscal Reforms” proposed by the Congressional Republicans are all aimed at robbing working class contributors of their pension savings through various specific regressive changes.

The “Grand Compromise” as Legalized Theft

For decades only a small fraction of Social Security contributions are used to pay recipients, the bulk is transferred into the general treasury to pay for current expenditures – mostly hundreds of billions of dollars in war spending, payments on bonds and T-notes; subsidies to agro-business, bailouts to Wall Street speculative investment banks and other elite economic interests. Over the decades the Treasury robbed several trillions in SS funds, exchanging them for IOUs (never reimbursed) in order to provide a kind of “social insurance” for the military-industrial-Wall Street-police state power elite. If the accumulated payments to SS had remained in a special account instead of being siphoned off to cover the deficits incurred by military spending and overseas wars, SS finance would be in sound condition at least till the end of the 21st century. The Social Security Administration (SSA) would be able to adjust payments upward to real rates of inflation (about double the rate of adjustment now jiggered by the Government). The SSA could begin full payments at age 62 for most and at a lower age for those citizens working in hazardous occupations.

Even if we take account of the past Treasury heist, the SS fund could be fully replenished if the cap was eliminated on incomes above $110,000 and if the SS tax was made progressive. As is well known, self-employed billionaires and millionaires pay an average of $11,450 a year to the SS fund. If the cap was lifted, those earning a billion would pay a minimum of $100 million a year at the current rate, the millionaires $100 thousand a year. If a moderately progressive rate was in place, payments would double, pretty much ending the threat to SS.

There is no “entitlement crises” today. There is a crisis in the regressive payments and tax systems which finance the social insurance programs. The problem is elite tax evasion not the ‘aging of the population’. The problem is the use of SS payments to fund the power elite-robbing Peter (SS) to pay Paul (imperial wars).

Like taking candy from a baby?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Wife and I went vegan a year ago, except for a bit of fish 1-2 times a week.

Plus, no more sugar, no coffee or decaf (ok, about once every other month on average), no sodas or other chemical-laced "foods".

Last edited by brucepick; 01-03-2013 at 10:27 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Can't we have just ONE thread from SN961 WITHOUT political rhetoric? This thread was going pretty well before that.

I'm not vegan, though I eat a lot of veggies and have friends who are. Personally, the keyword is moderation and variety. We can't go veggie now, not with two growing kids in the house, and the poor availability of the variety of veggie protein needed to support growing kids locally, but I expect eventually we'll go pescatarian, again. I lived that way for several years.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years bordering on vegan most of the time but will eat the odd egg and a bit of cheese so I don't become a complete bore when in the company of others. It takes about 40 years to change, in 1960 if you would have suggested that someone butt out because you didn't want to get cancer from second hand smoke you would have been met with ridicule. If you were told not to smoke in front of your kids as it was harmful most smokers would have said everything is harmful as long as it is in moderation she;ll be right, I got my window down and I blow the smoke out.
I bet In less then 40 years, Milk and meat marketing board members if they are still alive will be drawn in front of judges to answer law suits for misleading the public and spreading propaganda even though they knew about the science that existed 40 years back, which is today. It is all out there if you look for it, never been easier to find. Everyone dances around this, as there is too much to loose, the truth is, ready or not, if you are eating or feeding your kids meat, fish, poultry and dairy you are doing yourself and them a disservice and by the way I just read somewhere that life expentancy actually declined the last few years in america for the first time in a while. I am not arguing but the science is done the hard part is changing, this will take several generations one day we will be smoke free too but not today,

Closed Thread  Post New Thread