Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Very good.

Niky needs to watch this....lots of science...even some politics...and some profits. Wear your big M sweater?

The dude in the WH also needs to see this.......what a fool.....it will be very interesting when a POTUS is found to be promoting and supporting something even worse than the tobacco mess. It won't go away Barack....deal with it..... Then you can be buddies with GWB...needless wars/food supply degraded....2 peas in a pod?

Meanwhile...I'm serious about avoiding this sh*t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post

When ya'll have a little time, watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=wnlTYFKBg18

Then, do a little research on your own...

>

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
As far as I know...the difference between hybridization and genetic modification is that hybrids are developed by cross-breeding the plants themselves....whereas.....genetic mods involve inserting foreign genes from other organisms at the cellular (genetic) level...sometimes these other organisms are bacterial (or other animal) in origin for use in plants. For the FrankenSalmon I guess it's animal to animal.

The people pushing the ...low-nutrition mass-produced garbage...are the same ones pushing GMOs...but are not the only ones.

You are afraid that GMOs might get a bad name....IMO they deserve a bad name because they have been pushed on people with no serious underlying research on safety. What INDEPENDENT research that has been done doesn't make them look so good.

The OBVIOUS political dealing to push GM foods isn't real comforting either.

If I choose to reduce my consumption of possible GM foods I now need to avoid most processed foods (good idea anyway)...and look at the numbers on the labels on produce.

As an example....I like to use tomato juice/sauce in my "cooking"....so what are my choices? Tomato juice in a large tin can...a no-no due to the acid food leaching out the BPA that coating the can to reduce leaching of cadmium...etc. I go to spagetti sauces.....all have sugar...most have cottonseed/canola/say/corn GMO over refined oils....most are over salted....though this is packaged in glass.

Politics IS a part of any factual discussion. ALL IS INTERCONNECTED. PERIOD.
I use fresh tomatoes. Don't bother with the processed stuff.

Despite what the anti-GMO radicals want you to believe, there is a lot of research, independent and otherwise, done on GMOs.

A gene is a gene. What matters is what that gene does, and the chemical make-up of the resulting product.

Remember I spoke about poisoned cows in the other thread? poisoned by hybrid, non-GMO grass. A lot of food plants already contain a lot of poisonous chemicals. We have people dying from casava poisoning here om a fairly regular basis. Cross-breeding these plants may lead to enhancing this. Direct genetic modification allows you to take what you want from one breed and discard all the negatives.

Not all GM is done cross-species. In fact, that's harder than simply splicing genes from the same species.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So how about a bite of something to stay well?
Superfoods That Fight Colds | Yahoo! Health
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]

Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
Niky needs to watch this....lots of science...even some politics...and some profits. Wear your big M sweater?
If your only answer to counter-arguments is to scream "bias", then your arguments aren't very good to begin with.

I'm perfectly happy to have a civil debate with you, and I actually agree about the eating of meat and the value of certain organic crops, which is the only reason I've bothered actually responding to this thread.

But apparently you would rather sling mud every which way and see what sticks, hmm? Ever wonder why you're the only active person on this board with closed threads?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #35 (permalink)

I don't see any closed threads.

And then...continual arguments aren't really healthy.

I'm really interested in making real changes in my diet...not arguments.

You seem to like discussing the science in a vacuum.....

These people are all about protecting scientific integrity...

Scientific Integrity: Let Science Do Its Job | Union of Concerned Scientists

They are not exactly fans of GM crops...

Genetic Engineering in Agriculture | Union of Concerned Scientists

Does UCS Have a Position On GE?

Yes. We see that the technology has potential benefits, but we are critics of its commercial application and regulation to date. GE has proved valuable in some areas (as in the contained use of engineered bacteria in pharmaceutical development), and some GE applications could turn out to play a useful role in food production.

However, its applications in agriculture so far have fallen short of expectations, and in some cases have caused serious problems. Rather than supporting a more sustainable agriculture and food system with broad societal benefits, the technology has been employed in ways that reinforce problematic industrial approaches to agriculture. Policy decisions about the use of GE have too often been driven by biotech industry PR campaigns, rather than by what science tells us about the most cost-effective ways to produce abundant food and preserve the health of our farmland.

These are a few things policy makers should do to best serve the public interest:

Expand research funding for public crop breeding programs, so that a broad range of non-GE as well as GE crop varieties will remain available.

Expand public research funding and incentives to further develop and adopt agroecologically based farming systems.

Take steps—such as changes in patent law—to facilitate independent scientific research on GE risks and benefits.

Take a more rigorous, conservative approach to GE product approvals, so that products do not come to market until their risks and benefits are well understood.

Support food labeling laws that require foods containing GE crops to be clearly identified as such, so that consumers can make informed decisions about buying GE products.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Don't see your closed threads? Let me help you:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ics-24396.html
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...any-24362.html

It would be okay if you started a thread and stuck with it. But recently, every thread becomes a soapbox for the exact same things you're thumping about in every other thread.

Hey, I appreciate advocacy, but there's awareness raising and then there's trolling.

-

I don't actually disagree with the UCS position. Obviously. As I've already described my objections against monoculture and industrial farming in that other thread you've used to post the exact same arguments as you're posting in this thread.

In other words, why not keep the politics there and keep this as a relatively helpful thread about proper eating and nutrition, hmm? Because if the threads become exactly the same, then there is probably no need to have both of them... right?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #37 (permalink)

Here is the real issue?

https://www.truthdig.com/report/item...fear_20130107/

Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Which has what to do with healthy food?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #39 (permalink)

You have trouble connecting the dots? Or you have trouble with those that do?

Calling those who are concerned about GMOs...radicals...would in essence label you as conservative at the least? Right wing reactionary? I think you are hiding a political position behind an apparent concern for the science.

So....post something about healthy food? Start a thread of your own on some subject?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Which has what to do with healthy food?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #40 (permalink)

So..what does THIS have to do with healthy food and politics?

Bill McKibben: Obama Versus Physics

I'll let you figure it out......children alive today will thank you for the effort.....connect the dots?

Closed Thread  Post New Thread