Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Question What Changes To Make

Hi There,

Bit of a lurker, first post

I've got a 1.2L 4 pot petrol Fiat Grande Punto haven't done some exact mpg figures yet but returns around 55 on a long trip and 48 ish around town (UK mpg)

I want to get some better figures but I'm not sure what's the best way to go.

On my next service I'm planning to change from 5W 30 to 0W 30 synthetic, and from platinum plugs to indexed iridium plugs, going to run some bg 44k through the engine and add a catch tank to keep it clean, lastly I'm changing to a high efficiency oil filter and putting a magnetic band around it.

After this I'm a bit stuck though, my rear tyres will wear out this year 185/65/r15 but the lowest five for rolling resistance all have pretty ropey wet weather reviews, so not sure whether to pick them or not.

What would be the next best mods to go for to make the biggest difference?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Instrumentation. It's hard to improve your driving style if you only get feedback on it every few hundred miles, and driving style has a bigger impact on fuel consumption than mods.

Low rolling resistance tires almost always get bad reviews. Most people can't reliably detect the fuel economy improvement, so all they see is the loss of traction and increase in noise. Ignore the reviews, get LRR's.

Aside from that, how do you feel about a grille block and an alternator kill switch?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Instrumentation.
I've got the in dash computer which gives you instant mpg, is that accurate enough or is something like the scan guage going to be better?

Quote:
Low rolling resistance tires almost always get bad reviews. Most people can't reliably detect the fuel economy improvement, so all they see is the loss of traction and increase in noise. Ignore the reviews, get LRR's.
Sounds good, does anyone know where I can get any figures on Dunlop tyres?

Quote:
How do you feel about a grille block and an alternator kill switch?
Top grill block might be an idea, is it ok just to be blocked on the inside of the grill or do I have to make a new piece to replace the grill?

Alternator load is varied by the Ecu depending on battery charge so I don't know if I'd gain much this way, better battery might be an idea though.

Reply  Post New Thread