Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
What crazy car project would you like to do?

This isn't necessarily about a dream car but about some crazy idea you've had about any car you've seen on the road.

For me I would love to get an old mail truck (Grumman LLV) swap in a old wrangler drivetrain to get 4wd plus the high/low range manual trans and turn it into a kind of mini camper in the back. Although just for kicks I was looking at some stuff and mail trucks are supposed built on a chevy s10 chassis so I'm kind of wondering if s10 4wd components would work better. I just think it would be awesome to drive around it one of those mail trucks lifted maybe even a custom paint job, you could probably even do a pretty sweet boat tail on the back.

So that's what I want to do. How about you?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I'm building it now although slowly. Eventually with my drive which is described in
US patent # 7677208.

regards
Mech
Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Since my gen 2 insight has lost most of its value if used in a trade I thought about making it a full on show car. Rice it out with a wild wrap. Make a big speaker box that fills the rear hatch and back seats. Install some large 15- 20 inch sub woofers.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
This isn't necessarily about a dream car but about some crazy idea you've had about any car you've seen on the road.
I saw this one on the information superhighway.

What it put me in mind of was the Subaru Forester. It has a 99" wheelbase, a flat-6 in front and 4WD. WRX parts fit. So you remove all the doors and tailgate and Saw-Z-All around the body 10-12" above the bottom of the chassis. Cut out the wheelwells for 38" tires.

Then graft a VW Type II/Vanagon (96" wheelbase) onto it without cutting out the floor. There may be a hump in the front floorboard and the steering would need sorting out. The original floor would be storage lockers, like a Greyhound bus.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
CargoBoatTails (08-03-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Ferrari FF.

100% ecomodded. Manual tranny swap, grille blocks, boat tail, rear wheel skirts, MUCH skinnier tires, side exhausts for the engine bay, the engine exhaust through the boat tail. Man, the things I would do to one of those...

Though I think just taking a 2007 GT (44) and swapping the 5.8 from a 2013 GT500, and hypermiling it would be more fun.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Still think making one of my Tempos into a tadpole trike would be neat, although I realize there won't be huge efficiency gains like I originally dreamt.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Most of my friends and family think I am already doing it. Maybe they're right.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Great topic! Funny reading the comments about taking something inherently inefficient and trying to make it efficient, or taking something inherently efficient and turn it into a tank with wheels

I've got the aluminum frame and Lexan body from the electric car I built in high school, and I can't bring myself to recycle it, and yet it needs so much work to get it going again. I built it after hours, and when I was skipping class my senior year. A year later, a class was formed that taught the design, construction, and competition that we had learned in an unstructured way. Each year new cars were built, and the components from the first car were stripped and reused. That's how I came to own a 3/4" round aluminum frame.

The design is a reverse trike with a very reclined seating position, and about half an inch of ground clearance. It feels like the wildest sports car you've been in even though it only had a 2hp motor never went much above 40 mph. The steering wasn't precise enough to handle those speeds very gracefully, so the twitchiness made for white-knuckle driving.

To get the thing driving again, I would need:

Motor
Controller
Battery
3 bicycle wheels with extra thick rims and thicker gauge spokes
Brake system (original never worked well, shouldn't have passed inspection, and was responsible for some spectacular accidents)
Chain
Sprockets

I'll dig up pictures later of what I've got, but my main hangup on working on this is the time and money necessary to get it going, and the lack of practical purpose of the vehicle. It's illegal and unsafe to drive on the road, and probably illegal and unsafe to have on other pathways shared by pedestrians or bicycles. On the other hand, just talking about the car reminds me of the thrill of driving something light as a feather with a motor that likes to lay down torque.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've got the aluminum frame and Lexan body from the electric car I built in high school, and I can't bring myself to recycle it, and yet it needs so much work to get it going again. I built it after hours, and when I was skipping class my senior year. A year later, a class was formed that taught the design, construction, and competition that we had learned in an unstructured way. Each year new cars were built, and the components from the first car were stripped and reused. That's how I came to own a 3/4" round aluminum frame.

The design is a reverse trike with a very reclined seating position, and about half an inch of ground clearance. It feels like the wildest sports car you've been in even though it only had a 2hp motor never went much above 40 mph. The steering wasn't precise enough to handle those speeds very gracefully, so the twitchiness made for white-knuckle driving.

To get the thing driving again, I would need:

Motor
Controller
Battery
3 bicycle wheels with extra thick rims and thicker gauge spokes
Brake system (original never worked well, shouldn't have passed inspection, and was responsible for some spectacular accidents)
Chain
Sprockets
I've already considered to make a similar project, but using a Honda Biz 125 flexfuel engine, eventually using a hub-motor just to overcome the lack of a reverse gear. I'd also make it with a little more ground clearance, regular motorcycle tyres, disc brakes, a little more ground clearance and some sort of suspension to make it street-legal.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Its not too crazy or wild, but I want to fix up and eventually mod up my 93 Toyota Tercel. Its my first car. Step one is get it running again (needs brake work and fuel pump/tank put back in). It also needs body work (ideally). Step two is hybridization. Adding a ~100hp electric drive to it. The setup I'm thinking of would allow electric mode, gas mode (1.5l, 82 hp), or combined / fun (180hp) mode. It would be great fun, and have enough electric range for my daily commute and a little more. This would be in addition to some eco/aero mods like regearing the trans, LRR tires, grill block, etc.