Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

HF - '85 Honda CRX HF
Another thing to keep in mind is that with most mech. eng. degrees, you can dual major in Physics with only a few extra classes. I say get the mechanical, the only other two that would have anything to do with alt. fuels is electrical eng. or chemistry.

"The HF" :1985 CRX HF - 102K miles! Runs super strong, modifications will be entirely mileage oriented
"The DX" :1987 CRX DX - Devacced, excellent interior, runs perfect, the fun car
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
I don't know how FAU is but some schools you can duel major Mech/Aero Engineering which would be excellent. I personally am an Electrical/Computer Systems Duel which isn't bad for this stuff but because more of it is airflow/drag/friction it's a little more Mech/Aero. If you're decent at one of the fields already (been a machinist for 10 years or an electrician for 5 or whatever) you might want to take courses in the field you are less familiar with to expand your knowledge base.
Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pepper - '87 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 30.42 mpg (US)
I'm starting out college, first year done at community college and another year to go before I transfer to UCF.. I want to use my degree like how Trik wants too...
Old 06-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
edited.. wrong thread... lol

However mechanical engineering and some Areodynamics cources could come in really handy..

Last edited by ebacherville; 06-18-2008 at 12:57 PM..
Old 06-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Thank you for yor input guys ... It just frustrates me because I have over 10 years of in the field experience in both motorcycle and automotive design. Meaning I can fabricate just about anything for any vehicle, plus have the aptitude to make it beautiful, and functional.

And while I would like to think that I have the potential to influence this emerging trend of fuel efficiency, I feel like an unheard voice because I do not have a plaque on the wall behind me signed and stamped by a college.

When I come out of this tunnel from the other side I should be dangerous. A degree (Or multiple) plus 10+ years of applied experience should raise me above the rest emerging in this field.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 06-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

88CRX - '88 Honda CRX Standard DX
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IS250 - '07 Lexus IS250
90 day: 25.79 mpg (US)

RX300 - '00 Lexus RX300
90 day: 18.38 mpg (US)
I'm an ME, it so happend that my career ended up with transportation... first aircraft, now submarines. I must say in the post manufacturing world they are the same.

Anyways, if the environment is your concern, and want to have a degree with the most impact... go to LAW!!!

The machines will follow specs the Law makers dictates.

If you want to improve machinary, i suggest The a BS in Mechanical, and then go to Law school. You can get into transportation, alterante energy etc

If you want to improve the environement other ways, prevent deforestation, protect endangered species... then maybe BS Enviromental Science, then go Law school

Or go into politics

Last edited by 88CRX; 06-18-2008 at 03:16 PM..
Old 06-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SlowZoom - '98 Mazda 626 DX
Last 3: 31.36 mpg (US)

Das Tank - '00 Dodge Carvan Base
Congratulations on the decision to go back. I plan on doing the same thing after I graduate the first time . I wanted to be an engineer in high school..got to college and did the typical 12 different majors the first year and now I'm a junior in accounting Anyway my wife is with a company that has been franchising out and she looks to be pretty well set up in about 2-3 years. So I figure I'll work for maybe a year or two after that and go back to my first love. I originally wanted to do aero but I'm wanting to do more mechanical now. Finding this site sparked my interest again. Thanks for that guys
AC and PS Delete
17x7 Drag DR 19 wheels ( I know )
Hankook z rated tires ( again, I know

Future plans: Mazda miata 14'' BBS wheels
Old 06-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

88CRX - '88 Honda CRX Standard DX
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IS250 - '07 Lexus IS250
90 day: 25.79 mpg (US)

RX300 - '00 Lexus RX300
90 day: 18.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk626 View Post
Congratulations on the decision to go back. I plan on doing the same thing after I graduate the first time . I wanted to be an engineer in high school..got to college and did the typical 12 different majors the first year and now I'm a junior in accounting Anyway my wife is with a company that has been franchising out and she looks to be pretty well set up in about 2-3 years. So I figure I'll work for maybe a year or two after that and go back to my first love. I originally wanted to do aero but I'm wanting to do more mechanical now. Finding this site sparked my interest again. Thanks for that guys
I suggest Mechanical... I'm a M.E. got hired for and Aerospace position. M.E.'s can pretty much get into anything that the Aerospace guys can, and a bunch more of stuff. ex i'm in submarines now.

The curriculum is almost exactly the same... except the examples in there text pertain to aeroplanes. M.E. can be bicycles, powerplant turbine etc.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I suggest you go after whatever interests you most. Thats where you'll be most happy.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Mechanical Engineer

The Truck - '02 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Sport
90 day: 13.32 mpg (US)

The Van 2 - '06 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 20.56 mpg (US)

GoKart - '14 Hyundai Elantra GT base 6MT
90 day: 32.04 mpg (US)

Godzilla - '21 Ford F350 XL
90 day: 8.69 mpg (US)
I agree with the majority here...ME is the way to go (that's what I did). I specifically agree with Red, try get EE stuff where possible and if not a double-major, at least try to take numerous classes in Control Systems or engineering electronics. It wouldn't hurt to do another focus on fluid dynamics, but most universities a more pushing toward fluid machinery (jet engines, rockets etc) rather than vehicle aerodynamics (with the possible exception of airplane design).

I know you said relocation is not an option but not knowing what options are available in your area, I'll mention that I know at least the Naval Academy has a degree called Systems Engineering (not to be confused with Industrial Systems Engineering or "manufacturing efficiency engineer") that focuses on the practical integration of multidisciplinary systems. System integration is where the rubber meets the road so to speak, and where many businesses fail to "pull it all together" and make a successful product. It wouldn't hurt to look into that, but outside of the military academies I'm not sure who offers such a degree.

I wish you luck but I'll warn you about some college professors. I'm sure you've learned lots of reasons why certain things are done in practice, but a lot of PhD types don't care about practice and expect you to know the fundamental theory driving why things are done. A wise man (fabricator) I once worked with would say "In theory, theory and practice are the same. But in practice, they aren't" and most PhD types either don't care or refuse to believe that.