Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
V8 guy
 
oil pan 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NewMexico (USA)
Posts: 4,596

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)
Thanks: 98
Thanked 1,049 Times in 768 Posts
I believe it.
The very large low speed 2-stroke diesel engines used in ocean going ships use the most thermodynamicly efficient engines in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
The original Dodge Neon was going to be a DI 2 cycle but because of the witch hunt against lean burn and Nox it got shelved at the last moment.
I guess we are lucky to still have diesel engines since we seem to have an abondance of idiots that only seem worried about what comes out the tail pipe of the vehicle and nothing beyond that.

__________________
1984 chevy suburban, custom made 6.5L diesel turbocharged with a Garrett T76 and Holset HE351VE, 22:1 compression 13psi of intercooled boost.
1989 firebird mostly stock. Aside from the 6-speed manual trans, corvette gen 5 front brakes, 1LE drive shaft, 4th Gen disc brake fbody rear end.
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 4,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 450 Times in 401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I guess we are lucky to still have diesel engines since we seem to have an abondance of idiots that only seem worried about what comes out the tail pipe of the vehicle and nothing beyond that.
There are lots of those idiots everywhere. I know one who I had a few arguments with while used to brag about the supposed lower environmental impact of hybrids, but recently bought a Renault Clio II Campus (still available brand-new in Brazil). At least it can run on ethanol, while the currently-available hybrids usually can't

Anyway, we can't really neglect the effect of some tailpipe emissions, but there is also some huge energy expenses that come from industrial processes to refine petroleum, or to make chemicals like DEF, and also the logistics involved to make it available to the final customer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Anmore
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Aprilia SR50 that is actually a direct injected 2 stroke. It has a fuel injector that injects straight fuel into the head and there is an air injector in front of the fuel injector. There is an air pump that run off a cam on the crankshaft for the air injector. Oil is injected to the intake manifold right before the reed valves. Its a great system but I would love to find a way to get into the factory ecu and make changes to get more performance out of it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 4,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 450 Times in 401 Posts
Aftermarket support for direct-injection 2-stroke gassers has not been so strong. Well, the same system featured in Aprilia and Piaggio motorcycles is also used in many outboard motors, but I didn't even find any tuning device compatible with that application.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY state
Posts: 483

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 34 Posts
I always find it interesting when I read articles about Chrysler group doing research and development on things.

If they did all of this research and development ... howcome in the 90s and 00s they made pure garbage?

If they did make a two stroke DI neon ... the car would still fall apart in 50K miles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 2,499

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 191
Thanked 377 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavinator View Post
I have an Aprilia SR50 that is actually a direct injected 2 stroke. It has a fuel injector that injects straight fuel into the head and there is an air injector in front of the fuel injector. There is an air pump that run off a cam on the crankshaft for the air injector. Oil is injected to the intake manifold right before the reed valves. Its a great system but I would love to find a way to get into the factory ecu and make changes to get more performance out of it.
There was a "Gameboy" cartridge that could tune Aprilia DI systems, you will need to search around a while, there is one place in the US that tunes these from an Motocross perspecitve.

Search around and you should be able to find it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 4,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 450 Times in 401 Posts
An interesting setup was recently introduced by KTM but, surprisingly, featuring port-injection instead of DI. Not sure if that would allow lean-burn in the same proportion, but seems more suitable to overcome the NOx issue.
KTM FI Two-Stroke Info: The Scoop on TPI (Transfer Port Injection) - Dirt Bike Test
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 2,499

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 191
Thanked 377 Times in 286 Posts
TBI on a 2 cycle just adds power, fuel still can escape out the exhaust.

The funny part is my old neglected Subaru 360 that is carb'd goes lean at cruze and injects oil as needed can pass emissions.

It's harmonically tuned on intake and exhaust maximizing torque and minimizing fuel lost out the exhaust.

But it doesn't really rev past 7000 rpms, enforces economy over power
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 4,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 450 Times in 401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
TBI on a 2 cycle just adds power, fuel still can escape out the exhaust.

The funny part is my old neglected Subaru 360 that is carb'd goes lean at cruze and injects oil as needed can pass emissions.

It's harmonically tuned on intake and exhaust maximizing torque and minimizing fuel lost out the exhaust.

But it doesn't really rev past 7000 rpms, enforces economy over power
Even though 7000 RPM is quite high for a car engine, they usually operate at a narrower revving band compared to motorcycles, which might allow to improvements on torque and minimizing fuel loss.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 2,499

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 191
Thanked 377 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Even though 7000 RPM is quite high for a car engine, they usually operate at a narrower revving band compared to motorcycles, which might allow to improvements on torque and minimizing fuel loss.
A 2 cylinder 360 CC car engine needs all the revs it can get

Lean Cruze is around 5000rpm

Power band is quite narrow

Those who TBI the car can push 9000rpms and usually loose economy but gain a lot of power.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com