Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
Nexus (grist for the mill)

1988 Nexus,by Vehicle Research Group,University of Saskatchewan.113 mpg @ 63 mph.
There are photos of it at flickr.Worth a look if you haven't seen it.Reminisent of X-Prize.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
Hoerner?

Jim,do you have a copy of 'Aerodynamic Drag',by S.Hoerner?
He's got a whole section on auxiliary fuel tanks,blisters,landing gear,etc..It might be useful.I can't say that any of the Cds would be the same,'cause Abbott and von Doenhoff say they won't be,but it's a voluminous text,chock full of everything aero.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
Hi Aerohead,

Your argument about safety is well taken! This is something I think about as well in a well streamlined body shape.

However, anyone who rides a motorcycle is exactly in the same situation. I have a motorcycle license and have ridden motorcycles for years.

To add to this "safety" discussion, a man in a large SUV *thought* he was safe by virtue of this large vehicle, until a motorcycle coming the opposite way lost control, did a classic "high side", the motorcycle flipped high into the air, and went right through the SUV windshield, taking the roof off the SUV with predictable results to the driver.

Two months ago, I was on the way home and saw, what remained of a small compact car after a truck driver pulled out in front of the small car. The truck driver was shaken, but OK, and the small car driver, who hit the truck head-on was killed, even though air bags and such were involved in the new car.

Such is life! We have no guarantee's and yet I still ride a motorcycle and drive an extremely small Honda Insight. No, when it's my time, I will go peacefully with no regrets.

I am only slightly more concerned driving a narrow three wheel motorcycle on our roads.

Jim.
Safety is a BIG concern.
Nobody would buy an extremely unsafe vehicle not matter how many mpg it gets.

Although aerodynamics and safety don't have to fight each other:

Aero dictates a sleek windshield. Thus the windshield has to be moved front so you have less chance of hitting it in a crash.
The only downside would be that you would need to unbuckle to clean the windshield.

You'll need a narrow cabin width (thus reducing frontal area) with a wide track widebody style. The wider body will contain a badly needed side crumple zone.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

We are under pressure to jump to conclusions and so on. Not my purpose. Remember, we are looking for maximum aerodynamic efficiency.

Reply  Post New Thread