Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up What is this worth to you.

I have a working prototype of a EcoMod project I have been working on for years. I will describe the basic function.

I have developed an electronic Gauge that based on engine load parameters controls the way in which the Engine control Unit Processes throttle opening parameters.

2 LED's that can be put anywhere in the dashboard can signify what load zones the car is in without needing to look at the digital readout.

for example the end user can set a group of parameters. or an economy window from 30"HG all the way to 14.5 PSI of positive pressure. for example when activated it will control fuel usage by keeping the engine out of the undesirable load zones. it can take a high pressure turbo car and cap the boost pressure Or, with a naturally aspirated car it can operate in a end user defined window (e.g. 10-20"HG for me)

the unfortunate issue here is for automated operation to occur the car must have an electronic throttle this is not a device for those afraid of wiring as there are a minimum of 5 wires that need to be connected, as many as 10 with added functionality and switching.

I want to set the MSRP at $299 since this should put it within reach of most ecomodders and will pay for itself in a few months time what do you guys think... if there is enough intrest I will order the components for an innital batch since I know the general public will eat me alive trying to get these, I'm only selling them to ecomodders. so we can support each other.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-05-2008, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Question, this will replace my TB with one controlled via a servo and I'm assuming an electronic gas pedal to match? How robust is this setup? By maintaining a certain engine performance I'm assuming this device manipulates both fuel flow and TB pitch to keep the engine under a preset load? Any test rigs you've run this one and what kind of results have you seen?

Its a cool idea though
Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No, I'm sorry, for full functionality the car HAS to be factory equipped I was able to hack into my existing system with Nippon Denso, and I am currently working on a Delphi based system. However adding Fly by wire to a non equipped vehicle would become cost prohibitive. since most systems require ECU and other features to be changed.

Now someone could still use the sequential efficiency lights. but at that point it's little-more then a fancy programmable Eco-Gauge.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Looks like an MPG CC to me. It would only be as good as the strategy its using though. It takes the nut behind the wheel out of the equation, but would not beat a skilled hypermiler.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
Looks like an MPG CC to me. It would only be as good as the strategy its using though. It takes the nut behind the wheel out of the equation, but would not beat a skilled hypermiler.
I agree 100% the REAL advantage I see is as a passive option, I'll be honest I know if I follow the gauges and use my tall gearing I can make HUGE differences. but I'm lazy and that is why I built it. I can still get 70% of the gains without needing to even pay attention. so when I want to Really ring it out I can turn the system off and use the gauges but the rest of the time I can get close to 50 (51 on occasion; MPG) from my sports sedan. the last 8mpg are a REAL beast to get.. I doubt this device will even effect the die hard Hyper milers here.

Funny thing is as nessessity beeing the mother of all invention, this all came from my original conversion to E85 ethanol and I was unhappy with the 15% mileage decrease I experenced... an added bonus is keeping the ethanol in Closed loop mode and taking advantage of the complete combustion My losses are all but elminated. and I only see a 5% decrease between E10 and E85 and the car really likes building lots of torque down low on the Booze-fuel.

so when I first started I went from an average of 29mpg on E-10 to 24mpg on E85 (which was cost effective but just barely) now I can Get 47 MPG on booze. and I love the smell. and all the systems, the fuel conversion and Eco-mods are 100% passive, yes It'll no-longer spin the tires through 1st and 2nd gear but that's not exactly the point... is it :-)

Reply  Post New Thread