Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
For GP it isn't worth it (as above). But for heavy vehicles -- big trucks -- it may be one way of improving rolling efficiency. Here, though, it is the duty cycle that makes the consideration worthwhile. On a commuter I'd put custom bearings out of mind.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
I know this is a post that hasn't been commented on in 6 years and I skimmed through, but I was looking for some info on greasing sealed hubs. My guess is my wheel bearings on my explorer aren't great. 261k and not sure of any replacements. No significant movement when doing your tradition jack and wiggle. No real slop but would assume a bit dry. Have heard of living through abs. Was hoping for some suggestions and maybe some instructions.
Thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
The only sealed hubs I try to grease are those on my riding lawn mowers blade spindles.
I used to just run them till they failed, they last 2 years max.
Usually they would fail in the first part of the mowing season. Itwould appear that left over water causing corrosion over the winter does them in.
It all started when I thought I had a spindle going bad again earlier this year, so I took the old spindle off, put the new one on then I looked at the old one to determine failure, but it was fine.
So I pried the cover off the bearings, scooped out as much old grease as possible, put 3 drops of mobil1 85w-140 gear oil on the bearings then packed as much synthetic lithium complex grease as I could into the exposed side of the bearing. Reinstalled the covers.
Then I did the same to spindle on the other side, the other spindle, the good one was basically dry, if it didn't go out this year then probably first thing next year.
I noticed the spindle turned easier after doing this on both spindles.
When I put the mower away this fall I will do it again, to both spindles. If the bearings get fresh oil and grease just before I put the mower away for the winter they shouldn't be able to rust.
Replacementspindles are about $35 each from a local store, I can get them for nearly half that if I can wait a week for them to be snail mailed. But the quality of the no name fly by night Internet sourced blade spindle units is questionable.

So for a little time, a few drops of oil and about 2 to 3 CC of grease I can:
Save money
Reduce breakdowns
Reduce waste
Increase productivity and stay on schedule

I have no idea if this is even an option on ford exploder wheel bearings.
My old suburban and firebird have front spindles that I can take apart and service. Just because something is newer doesn't automatically mean it's better.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 06-10-2018 at 09:41 AM..
Old 06-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
I believe they are all sealed on mine not positive. Would need a press to take them apart and don't have a friend with one I could use. Was just curious if anyone had any experience with greasing through the abs port. Would simplify things a bit
Old 06-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bet it would screw up the abs wheel speed sensor/ring gear. For most of my cars 150-160,000 is when they start going bad (except my 1994 explorer much sooner but wasn't sealed bearing) Tried Ebay bearing on my Cobalt, 12,000 later replacing it with MOOG, other one was bad in a few more month.

On Cam's rogue one was bad, we just went ahead and replace both 2nd one is so much easier if you do it same day.

One mower I had, the spindles were aluminum, I never done it before but used a drill to drill the holes then run a tap in, 10 minutes grease zerts installed, sounded better afterwards. Current mower they are sealed. 54" Hustler for <1/4 acre of grass doesn't see much use since we've quit mowing for other people.

Reply  Post New Thread