Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #181 (permalink)
Banned

What about lightwave 3D ?

I have a huge detailed tutorial about built the old series USS Enterprise.. I found the links to the tutorials :

LightWave - Star Trek - USS Enterprise NCC-1701 Tutorial - Foundation 3D Forums

Can lightwave be used in a dual core, or it is too heavy for a simple computer ?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #182 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Trianglęs ??? We talked about use wood slices and foem sheets, to get the shape.
Perhaps I mis-remembered.

Taking it from the top. Assume a 3D model of the Morelli body. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pepakura+d...alemoon&ia=web is software that allows cuts and flattening that result in patterns that can be cut from sheet materials, from paper to plate steel.

https://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/en...designer-7.jpg

Obtaining the final form without wooden egg crates and cut and shaped blocks of foam strikes me as a potential time and money saver. A smooth convex shape like the Morelli body would have a very simple peel pattern.

Lightwave? If it works for you (and your system) go for it.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #183 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks... But it can work for a papercraft scale model, but not to a 5 meter long solar Morelli car.
It would require countless pieces os flat wood and incredible precision of cut and tireless patience and skill to join everyting, and endless filler to smooth it to the "Morelli's "dolphin curves".

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Taking it from the top. Assume a 3D model of the Morelli body. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pepakura+d...alemoon&ia=web is software that allows cuts and flattening that result in patterns that can be cut from sheet materials, from paper to plate steel.

https://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/en...designer-7.jpg

Obtaining the final form without wooden egg crates and cut and shaped blocks of foam strikes me as a potential time and money saver. A smooth convex shape like the Morelli body would have a very simple peel pattern.

Lightwave? If it works for you (and your system) go for it.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #184 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Thanks... But it can work for a papercraft scale model, but not to a 5 meter long solar Morelli car.
Suit yourself of course, but...
Is your 5 meter long object going to be built from scale drawings? All Pepakura Designer does is modify the 3D object into a flat pattern at the same scale.

Working from scale drawings or models is accurate to your capabilities. Generating dimensions from a mathematical model is scale invariant. Here is a design that is quasi-ellipsoidal in section, with all dimensions available to any accuracy you care to name.

I should get the new system up so I can do some modeling again. It would be trivial for instance to take that shape and add an S-curve ala Morelli with magnet deformers*, and then pick the dimensions off the result.

Each hexagon requires one slit and it gathers into a shallow cone. You could make a paper pattern, transfer it to sheet aluminum and create panels that are ready for the planishing wheel. ....if you had a planishing wheel.

Foam and fiberglass are IMHO nasty materials to work with. Coachbuilding professionals, like Randy Grubb, work in metal.

*An example for Lightwave

Old 04-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #185 (permalink)
Banned

No intention to built any soon, just dreaming and imaging how it would be possible...

First learn 3D softwares adn electric motors and batteries, then learn functional 3D (with gears, suspension, working in a 3D model), then learn more details for electric motors and batteries, then built a scale model (after learn about composities), and if all work, research if it's possible to find sponsor, and get sponsors, built it after buy tools.

The extructure you proposed maybe could be achived with tiny metal tubes, like the ones used as conduits. But the cnections between the tubes would reduce precision.
The edges of each tube would have many different angles (the curved point for connection) for different tubes, making difficult to measure and bend exactly.
Maybe wood strips and a precision saw, with angle cut adjust, would be cheapper.

But still would require foam strips to smooth.

Last edited by All Darc; 04-09-2018 at 08:32 PM..
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #186 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ya gotta do what you gotta do.

http://japanology.org/2016/12/the-japanese-concept-of-ikigai-a-reason-for-living/
Quote:
In Japan, the idea of having a purpose – what the French call a raison d’etre – is hardly ground-breaking. The Japanese have long had a word for this sense: Ikigai.

Formed of the words ikiru, or life, and kai, or “the realization of what one hopes for,” ikigai is most often translated to mean “a reason to live.” On the island of Okinawa, Japan’s southernmost and sunniest region, and the one which features the longest living Japanese – indeed, some of the longest-living humans on the planet – it is translated as “a reason to get up in the morning.”
I look forward to software developments that are in the pipeline, specifically OpenVDB turbocharging CFD.

edit:
There you go.

The problem with conduit domes is stacking squashed tubes on a bolt is wildly inaccurate. Better to cut welding rod ±1/100th inch (or better) and assemble each hub in a jig.

Then you could drag a sock over it and spray that with resin. Once it's a solid surface than you can start the endless blocking and sanding. Curved rods with wedge tips for extra points.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-09-2018 at 08:26 PM..
Old 04-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #187 (permalink)
Banned

Welding rods... I can't figure it exactly. And such things would require amounts that would turn it expensive.

Built in such architeture could be better ig we could bend the lines (for rod, tubes or whatever, into archs. Maybe some wood strips or some plastic strips easy to bend.

The Morelli it's made of ellipces, as the height in the draw is the ellipse heigth and the side (lower portion of drawing) is the width of the ellipces. Maybe having ellpces and concection each one to another with flexible material could shape it right.

Quote:
Ya gotta do what you gotta do.

http://japanology.org/2016/12/the-japanese-concept-of-ikigai-a-reason-for-living/I look forward to software developments that are in the pipeline, specifically OpenVDB turbocharging CFD.

edit:
There you go.

The problem with conduit domes is stacking squashed tubes on a bolt is wildly inaccurate. Better to cut welding rod ±1/100th inch (or better) and assemble each hub in a jig.

Then you could drag a sock over it and spray that with resin. Once it's a solid surface than you can start the endless blocking and sanding. Curved rods with wedge tips for extra points.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #188 (permalink)
Banned

Try to create a paper model like that :

Quote:
Old 04-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #189 (permalink)
Banned

I was wondering...

Why only industry used 3 axis routers ?

Why small deigner vehible builter don't use domestic 3 axis routers ?

If a shape it's too large for a given 3 axis router, I supose it could be built in smaller pieces, and then connect the pieces after the router made the job on each piece.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #190 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sorry to disappoint, but industry uses 5-axis routers:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=5-axis+router