Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #191 (permalink)
Banned

Uhnnn... but for 3D you only need 3 axis (X,Y,Z).

Why 5 ?

Is this 3 or 5 axis ?

https://youtu.be/FwqFfUiQDT8?t=317

I see a inclination adjustment to the drill, so I presume it's at least 4 axis.

Edited: The inclination also rotates (like a planet), making 5 axis.

I now realise that since routers sculpts by removing material and not by depositiong, it need 5 axis if someting in a ddeper layer is narrow than the upper and top layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Sorry to disappoint, but industry uses 5-axis routers:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=5-axis+router

Last edited by All Darc; 04-25-2018 at 03:55 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #192 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Three axes to define a point in space, another three to define the direction from that point. They make do with five.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #193 (permalink)
Banned

Zeppelin Hybrid vehicle :

Zeppelin

Their other projects don't have a nice look, but this one at least looks fine.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #194 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

http://www.thefuturepeople.us/zeppelin.html

In drag racing that's called a flopper body.

Okay for racing but not much as a grocery getter.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #195 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Keep in mind that the goal is to minimize drag with these cars, not just Cd. Drag is a function of Cd x A (frontal area). Flat solar cars may sacrifice a little Cd in order to greatly reduce frontal area.
And to increase the area with solar panels
Excess energy can give them more speed

These vehicles aren't about practical use either, as they completely sacrifice functionality and comfort

Old 08-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #196 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Tail gun seating is this, at least what I found
back-to-back seating was meant

Quote:
Seats with back to back (back od front driver oposite to the back of passager behind, have a problem I just figured now. It need to be 90 degree, fixed, otherwise the other person will have reverse (supplementary angle) angle.
Unless you use the space inbetween for something else.
Fuel tank, structural, engine, battery , ...

In the stillborn Loremo, this space was used for the engine and as a structural member - making it a true mid-engined design

Old 08-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #197 (permalink)
Banned

I knew most of this, about electrric car be a problem where electricity it's produce buy burning fossil fuel (coal in USA). But it's looking worse than I imagined :

Well, PragerU it's suspect, since they are right wing activist organization, and as a wing organization will only spot what it's favorable to their side.
I imagined before that modern coal power plants have higher efficiency than combustion engine of average cars, and modern filters, releasing les CO2 and less soot particles than cars. But now... I don't know... Maybe there are modern ones and old crap ones that polutes a lot more. And a average of 45% of USA it's coal power plant based, and some states have lower index than this average.
Not sure if the health hazard commented in the video it's true, worse than the hazard of combustion engine cars even if the coal power plants are far from cities.

Would hybrid cars, would have better?

The CO2 released during production of electric cars it's also high. One more point.

One solution would be small lightweight electric cars, two seater, and extra solar panels on roof of home to compensate the electricity demand. Small baterires for drive on city.

Why heavy cars ? Why not also ultra light electric assisted vehicles like this if the need it's just to drive on or two people to work or to school?

Edited : I found a video (in portuguese) about modern coal power plant, and by using modern technics they can reduce 99,9% of ashes and soot, about 90% reduction of Sulfur dioxide, and 75% reduction of Nitrogen oxide. They are also more efficient, burning less coal per KW than old coal power plants.
But I have no data about CO2. Also found data about heavy metals polution and if it can be mostly reduced by filter or not.

Edited 2 : https://youtu.be/aBrlmgUV5ts?t=287
Look at 04:47 They also remove mercury (percentage???), but there are other heavy metals produced.

Last edited by All Darc; 08-19-2018 at 08:03 PM..
Old 08-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #198 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's most important to reclaim the Thorium since it has more embodied energy than the heat from burning it.

Quote:
Electric cars are coal powered cars.
Seriously? Maybe in backward areas like the US East Coast. Electricty is fungible, it could as easily come from the roof of your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
Seats with back to back (back od front driver oposite to the back of passager behind, have a problem I just figured now.
It's even worse. With front-facing seating, there is room for the rear passenger's feet under the H-point of the front seat.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #199 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
I imagined before that modern coal power plants have higher efficiency than combustion engine of average cars, and modern filters, releasing les CO2 and less soot particles than cars. But now... I don't know... Maybe there are modern ones and old crap ones that polutes a lot more. And a average of 45% of USA it's coal power plant based, and some states have lower index than this average.
Not sure if the health hazard commented in the video it's true, worse than the hazard of combustion engine cars even if the coal power plants are far from cities.
The problem is not the USA or Europe, it's the rapidly growing demand for electric power in China and India where coal is still pointed out as the most cost-effective option. Emission standards for stationary applications such as powerplants are often not so strict in those countries, even though they're now implementing stricter emission standards for cars that become nearly as tight as in some more developed countries.

Quote:
Would hybrid cars, would have better?
Considering that some people claim that biofuels wouldn't be suitable to replace petroleum-based fuels and fossil natural gas entirely with present-day engine tech, and the fact that most of the alternate-fuel systems have been more widespread across mediocre engines instead of being focused on the more modern ones (some people still believe a turbocharged engine to be unsuitable to a natural gas conversion, for example), maybe the lower fuel consumption of a hybrid setup could become an interesting approach to safeguard a long-term viability of alternate fuels while decreasing the competition for arable land with food production (even though most biofuels could be made as a byproduct of food production or recovered from organic waste).

Quote:
One solution would be small lightweight electric cars, two seater, and extra solar panels on roof of home to compensate the electricity demand. Small baterires for drive on city.

Why heavy cars ? Why not also ultra light electric assisted vehicles like this if the need it's just to drive on or two people to work or to school?
Do you really believe the average Joe would be easily convinced to take that approach? You know, especially here in a 3rd-world country where most people can't afford more than one car per household, it would be quite hard to justify having something too specialized even though it could be supplemented by a trailer (eventually fitted with its own hub-motors, batteries and solar panels to compensate the effects of the extra weight on the performance) when the need for extra load or passenger capacity arises. But anyway, I still believe tricycles (or eventually motorcycles with sidecars) might become more relevant as a way to decrease the energy consumption on light-duty transportation as long as they can effectively perform the same job of a small car or a coupé-utility.

Quote:
I found a video (in portuguese) about modern coal power plant, and by using modern technics they can reduce 99,9% of ashes and soot, about 90% reduction of Sulfur dioxide, and 75% reduction of Nitrogen oxide. They are also more efficient, burning less coal per KW than old coal power plants.
I have visited a coal-powered plant in Capivari de Baixo-SC when I was on 4th grade. It used some low-quality coal with too many sulphur, thus unsuitable for steel production, but most of the heavy ash was directed to a cement factory nearby.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #200 (permalink)
Banned

If people on India would spend the same in energy and trash, per citizen, as USA people do...

Small electric cars can be desinged to be nice looking. These home made projcts it's just too home made to look good.

Concentrated solar power (Solar CLP) looks intereting :

Solar SLP could be better if they could use photovoltaics and heat combined. There are some solar cells that handle more than 100x SUNs concentrated in a small spot, with efficience of 40%. But it operates in a temperature bellow 100* celsios (water ebulition) and so can't use the heat to move turbines. If they managed to create a new version, able to handle let's say 120* celsius or more in good efficiencey, they would be able to create a system much more efficient, making use of photovoltaic and also heat for steam to move turbines.
For storage I'm not sure the temperature needed, since they use melted sault.

Hydro electric it's still cheaper but require a huge initial investment, so the investment takes longer to return. There is also a enviroment impact.

Last edited by All Darc; 08-20-2018 at 08:43 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread