Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Micromachine - '94 Honda Civic DX hatchback
Question Wheel weight vs over all weight.

Let say we hove 2 identical cars that weigh 3000 LBS, one has light rims and the other has heavy rims with rear seat delete or any other component to make it stay at 3000 LBS.
Will the fuel economy be affected comparing the 2 cars?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Yes.

Rotational force takes more work to move than static forces. The forty some pounds in the vehicle stands still, while each wheel's weight spins.

I have seen estimates from 4-10 times the weight for rational vs static. I believe there is more detail in other threads, it has been pretty well covered, I just have only picked up so much. The top left corner has a search function, and whatever you want to find can be found that way.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

dolores - '98 audi a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I have seen estimates from 4-10 times the weight for rational vs static.
Ok, I've seen this too often. That is just a wishfull belief from people who support lightweight rims. I like lightweight rims, ride on 13lbs, but the reality is that the ratio is about 1.5@rims and maybe 2@tyres.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

AX - '95 Citröen AX

307 - '04 Peugeot 307 SW
It entirely depends on driving. At perfect constant speed, fuel economy will be exactly the same (never the case in real life though).
On highway driving, the difference is almost negligible. In city driving, hypermiling techniques are decisive to take advantage of the energy that has been stored in the wheels (even though we never get all the energy back).
I think rotational weight influence is largely overestimated : 4-10 times might only be at full throttle and the overall factor is much lower than that even in city driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to HypermilerAX For This Useful Post:
Occasionally6 (07-20-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Where does the energy the shock absorbers absorb come from?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
Let say we hove 2 identical cars that weigh 3000 LBS, one has light rims and the other has heavy rims with rear seat delete or any other component to make it stay at 3000 LBS.
Will the fuel economy be affected comparing the 2 cars?
There are 3 weights that you need to contend with and consider in a car design and they are:

#1. Sprung weight
#2. Unsprung weight
#3. Rotational mass

They all have an effect on overall handling and performance. However Unsprung weight will have more of an effect than sprung weight. Rotational mass will have a bigger effect on the acceleration or your car and its overall quickness. Hence is why some cars opt for reduced mass flywheels and lighter drivelines and axles such as the carbon composite or aluminum options.

If you are in a position where you need to make a choice to reduce weight somewhere always first look to reduce unsprung weight then go from there depending on your goals and objectives.

GH
Old 07-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you have to brake and dissipate the energy, the extra energy stored in heavier rotating parts matters. If you don't, it makes virtually no difference in terms of efficiency; it's still there just stored in a different form.

For a given power input and final stopping point you will accelerate more slowly and decelerate for a longer period of time. You will be slower.

If you want to quantify the rotational energy it depends on the polar moment of inertia of the rotating object. Mass concentrated towards the outside of the rotating object matters more than mass closer to the axis of rotation. Losing a pound of weight off the tire will have more effect than a pound of weight off the wheel.

Last edited by Occasionally6; 07-22-2013 at 01:29 AM..
Old 07-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Micromachine - '94 Honda Civic DX hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
Losing a pound of weight off the tire will have more effect than a pound of weight off the wheel.
Are you saying using low profile tire?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Presumably, the tires would be held constant for the purposes of the test. Load rating (# of plys) would vary the weight of identically sized tires.
Quote:
Mass concentrated towards the outside of the rotating object matters more than mass closer to the axis of rotation.
But rotational energy is a give and take situation, while deviations from a direct path are just take, take, take. Every time you hit a pot-hole, the weight of that corner is lifted by a punch from the sprung mass. Wheel alignment/steering play—same thing.

Where does that energy come from, out of your gas tank?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Here are two interesting links.

1) A rotational mass calculator: Calculate Moment of inertia, Angular Mass Moments - Online Calculation - Physics Calculator

2) A car and driver test of different wheel sizes, showing acceleration, braking, and MPG: Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (07-20-2013), Sven7 (07-20-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread